Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WITB 2023 Edition - What's in the bag?

Options
  • 15-02-2023 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Curious to see if anyone has made any changes or upgrades. Maybe you have a trusty old club that does the job perfectly. Or those who've been fitted recently and are sporting a shiny set of new irons. Is the carbon tech creeping into bags or is it just the latest OEM money-spinner?

I'll throw up my own setup later when I get a chance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I’ve added 3 new clubs to the bag this year. Did full bag fitting in foregolf last year but didn’t bother with driver and 3 wood as results weren’t much better than what I had. Got fit for a TSR3 3 wood before Christmas and added a stealth DHY driving iron with it. Went back for a driver fitting a couple of weeks ago and have a TSR3 on order. All the new drivers were impressive to be fair but it was between stealth 2 and TSR3 and the TSR won it for getting a bit more ball speed and distance compared to the stealth 2. Will add pictures when the driver arrives. I got a Lajosi putter on adverts too that I’m experimenting with but it’s essentially the same as my newport except for slightly different milling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I bought a second-hand driver and a second-hand hybrid, both from sellers on Adverts. The hybrid hits really nicely and will essentially replace my 3- and 4-iron.

I've not tried the driver yet, but considering my current one is from 1997 or thereabouts, I'm hoping to see some improvements. I'm also starting lessons in the next couple of weeks so hopefully they'll give me plenty to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

My 2023 lineup is as follows:

Driver: TSi 9.0 Stock settings, HZRDUS Black RDX stiff 6.0.

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti @ 16deg, Tensai blue stiff.

7 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Max, Ventus blue stiff.

3 Iron utility: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 19.5deg, Hzrdus RDX 6.0 stiff.

5-PW Irons: Mizuno PX 921 Forged, Nippon ns pro 950gh stiff.

Gap Wedge: Callaway JAWS MD5 50/12W, True Temper Gold.

Sand Wedge: Callaway JAWS Full Toe 54/12, True Temper Spinner.

Lob Wedge: Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58/10, True Temper Spinner.

Putter: Odyssey ProType Black 2-ball 33".

Balls: Seed Pro X1 (whenever back in stock). Otherwise, I'm open to changing if stock is an issue.

So I changed out my old 3w (speedzone), hybrid (clk 4h) and 4i utility (cobra) from last year. Picked up the 3w and 7w on adverts for decent deals. The 3i I got new during BF discounts (my pro matched whatever McGuirks or Halpenny were doing).

I found that the new 3w is hotter and nicer on the eye (bigger head). The 7w is a very reliable and versatile option, really it's been a great addition to the bag. I had a 5w sim2 briefly at one point but it was too tightly gapped so it made no sense and I sold it quickly. The 3i I'm loving off the tee and I'm much more comfortable with it vs the old hybrid. The only thing is that I've started to find it gaining distance and almost matching the 7w at times. It was meant to be the solution to the gap from 5i (185) to 7w (215) but I might just need more time with it. Tbf most times I've hit it has been downwind for some reason so it might well be a1.

Looking at buying a vokey low bounce K 58deg for hard ground and later in the year. I think I'm very happy with the bag atm. Practice and lessons are the way forward.

Our top end of the bag is similar spec wise, same shaft and loft settings so am curious how far you get out of the 7w? I’ve currently got a cobra 19d hybrid and stealth DHY 19d. Stealth is lethal off the tee but not as easy hit off the deck. Cobra can get hooky on me so am thinking of just getting a 5w for shots off the deck from around 200ish out. Have heard great things about the 7w but hard to find ones in stiff shafts.

The 7w is a 215yd club for me and all carry. Equally easy off the deck and tee. I actually hit one 260yd 2 weeks ago. Huge flyer from the rough and a big wind assist. It'll never happen again though!

The best thing for me is that it has a lovely high flight and stops dead. So it's great for par 3s and long approaches. For the brief time I had a 5w it just didn't give much more distance or suit my next gap.

If you can try a fitting day and play with the 5w/7w options. Otherwise stick an alert on adverts for a 7 Wood and be patient. They do appear but just not that often with a stiff shaft.

• Advertisement

Thats interesting, assume your swing speed is in or around 110mph with the driver? 3 wood carrys around 225/230 for me so was expecting 5 wood to be in or around 200-210 range which is about what the cobra hybrid carries. The stealth DHY is longer but not as easy to hit out of the rough as the hybrid which is tempting me with the 5 wood. Might just have to bite the bullet and go get fit for something but not keen on spending €300ish to get a 7 wood. Might just pick up a cheapish 5 wood and see how it goes, will put up an alert on adverts as well in the meantime.

I'm around 105mph for driver CHS. I don't think I've clocked 110 (yet). Adding extra loft on my 3w worked well and then 7w gapped nicely. I could have dropped 3w/7w and gone with 5w/hybrid too. A 5w with an adjustable loft could be a good option for you. Worth playing around a bit on a launch monitor if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

New to the game and to the subforum so what better place to introduce myself.

29 and just took up golf last July. I've probably played ~15 rounds since then.

Driver: Nike SQ 13*

5W: Nike SQ 19*

Irons 3-PW: Nike VR full cavity.

52/56 wedges: Nike VR and SV.

Putter: Odyssey 2 ball centre shafted.

A low-budget bag of clubs that was put together for about €400. Irons, wedges and putter working well. Need to review my driver/woods and will do so when I've a few quid to spare.

Looking forward to improving my game bit by bit.

Those Nike irons are very nice, great starter bag you have to get you going. Centre shafted putter is an odd choice for a new player, how do you find that?

I managed to get a 7w after via adverts. TSi2 with same stiff shaft i got fit into in my 3 wood, haven't had a chance to get it out on the course yet but initial testing looks like it could be a winner. TSR3 driver arrived too so will post a full WITB photo soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Honestly it was only after making an offer on Adverts that I noticed it was centre shafted! It was in good condition and at a good price so I decided not to back out.

I'm enjoying using it and have found a decent level of consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you're fairly straight back and through a centre shaft with a face balanced putter can be a good option for delivering a square face at impact

Got to pick up my driver at the weekend so here's my bag for 2023. The 7 wood is possibly going to stay or i'l bring back in my cobra 19d hybrid but will see how it goes for now, early results are promising. Don't expect much changes in this but might pick up a mallet putter at some stage.

Driver - TSR3 9.0 w/hazrdus black 4G 6.0

3 Wood - TSR 3 (set at 16) Tensei AV Blue Stiff

7 Wood - TSi 2 Tensei AV blue stiff

Stealth DHY - Aldila Ascent stiff

5-GW - P790 Modus 105 stiff

54D12 - SM8 Vokey

58D12 - SM8 Voley

Putter - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Advertisement