Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ludeen

Was there ever a Cork to fuertaventura flight? Seems strange considering the popularity of lanz & tennerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Schedule changed in 2022. I used to use CDG for transfers, that option is gone. It's just LHR and AMS left. You can use Rome in winter only, and zurich in summer only. BA/Airlingus don't talk to eachother properly, so the check-in is a mess, the air-miles are a mess, the notifications of changes or delays is a mess, always transferring terminals burns time. Realistically I can't do work travel when based in Cork anymore, the airport service is so poor now. It's degraded to a ryanair holiday hangar and a satellite of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There was, I think around 2007 at the peak of the airport.

I don't think Rome is much use for transfers since its Ryanair and as far as I know it has been extended to year round now.

CDG is still a decent transfer option 8 months of year from March to October and run a daily flight.

AMS is also a decent option that runs year round for transfers, I think the winter schedule has been cut back but its still operational.

Heathrow is multiple times per day year round but like you said is a pain in the ass.

Zurich and Frankfurt are low frequency options through the summer months.

November through February are limited for options but the rest of the year has a pretty good choice.

Yeah, you're right, Rome is a destination, unless you self-transfer.

Nov - feb are 4 working months. There is usually less business travel in july / Aug anyway as people are on holidays so those 4 missing months are significant. I've done it for years, with a slight dip for Covid and unfortunately I see it getting harder, not easier to get to the places I need to go, from that airport. Don't get me wrong, the airport itself is a dream, my favourite anywhere. but just so wasted as a good piece of infrastructure. If you look at the departures, the place is a ghost town half the day. So, it is easier for cork people who have the option to relocate, to consider being based near frankfurt or amsterdam, or anywhere on mainland europe because then you get the option of trains or driving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ryanair, I took it on an Easter 2015 holiday and flight was full out and back but was gone the next year, pity as was a great trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Actually it would be great to see it return for summer season. V popular spot for families

I wonder what % of overall capacity they are at... I would have assumed that they are limited by the runway rather than the airport building or gates. But both Cork and Dublin only have 2 runways, using one at a time, depending on wind conditions. So they must be able to land and take-off a flight every few minutes. In that case it's the gates are the limiter, not the runway. let's do some back of envelop numbers based on gates.

In Dublin January passengers were 2.1MM. Corks had 162k in the same period. Cork has 6 gates. Does Dublin have 200 gates or 100 gates?

If I do the sums, Cork had 27000 passengers per gate in a month, less than 1000 people per day. Dublin had 10500 passengers per gate if they have 200 gates. If 100 gates, Dublin had 21000 passengers per gate.

You can fit, say, an average of 150-180 people on a ryanair sized flight, say 150 assuming not full flights. So, around 6 flights per day, per gate for Cork currently is what they run at. There are conservatively 14 working hours in the day, and airports can get 2 flights per hour through each gate. 6 gates. That's 168 potential max flights a day. And they run at 36.

So, by those numbers, Cork is operating at ~ 21% of it's possible capacity. Could go up to 800,000 passengers per month.

Plenty more opportunity there.

Capacity in Cork Airport is 5 million pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...and don't forget the east/west runway can't be used by jets, it's too short. And since Aer Arran / Stobart / etc disappeared, theres no commercial aviation using it, just private stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Cork to Lanzarote with TUI. Anybody know if this will be a 737 max or - 800? 3-3 configuration on the website. Interested to know if there is in flight entertainment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Are the new scanners installed yet? Have a feeling its Shannon only, but heading out on Friday so wouldn't mind being ready

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nope and I'm sure they won't be for a while yet. Maybe the end of this year if they are lucky.

Funding was announced and I imagine the next step will be to go to tender for purchase. It won't happen terribly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Interesting piece in the examiner about this. 2025 is the very ambitious target year for the implementation of the new security lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The testing is a bit of a laugh consideri g how well its going in shannon

Seems a very long time but I wonder will there be building works and all the planning/care that goes into that? Or whether they'll bundle other stuff with it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic news. Stobart Air was a major loss so it’ll be nice to see their replacement commencing operations from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Excellent news. Both to see Aer Lingus regional return but also fixing the missing connection to South West England as well as easy access to South Wales as well.

• Advertisement

Good on both counts but the lack of a Saturday flight is a bit annoying as Saturday is the day I'll be wanting to fly!

Still into Heathrow and bus, fly back direct from Bristol. Or change in Amsterdam and get Flying Blue XP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

There was certainly alot of chatter online to have that route back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stobart used to do this too on some routes, 6 days a week with the Saturday flight omitted. Never made sense to me.

Great to see the turboprops return to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Edit: Delete

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

What key airports are not being served(by any airline) that were served by Stobart Air since Bristol has been announced? Is it just Glasgow which needs to be filled?

This is excluding the seasonal routes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly here but at some point Southampton & Newcastle were served by Stobart. Newquay I assume was seasonal.

You can throw in a Flybe route to Cardiff as well for good measure but to be fair Bristol does cover that off as good connections from Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

As far as I know, the FlyBe Cardiff route was more designed to grab some subsidies from the Welsh government who wanted to see Cardiff airport utilized more, than it was for purely economic reasons.

Weren't there also seasonal routes to one of the Channel Islands, either Jersey or Guernsey, that were operated by Stobart from Cork? Wouldn't consider them a key route per se, but it certainly added to the available destinations from Cork,

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Jersey was definately served up to around 5 yrs ago in the summer coz i did look into it for a random wkend away.

Glasgow is the main one missing to UK now for a year round service and possible demand for Southampton.

After that to mainland Europe need to get the Madrid route back and possible a Lisbon service.

Also on a side note feb passenger numbers up compared to same month in 2019.

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Advertisement

Barcelona is another major one from pre covid which hasn’t returned.

Advertisement