Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your link doesn't work. Maybe it's some old cached link now expired or watch sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Dunno. I only did a 2 minute search on the app on my phone. Still clicks through for me.

Either way. Good luck with the sale 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

link is working for me btw

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That 6.5k Italy one is a dealer too I think.

7,150 is the lowest I see now.

Anyway, it's a lovely watch, GLWS.

Do you know how thick/high it is? It looks nice and slim and all smooth lines in the pictures.

Cheers. It's 12mm thick. Good proportions too as the bezel is not as big as the one on a yachtmaster or a GMT master II. It's a really nice Rolex sports watch and good value compared to other ones that are simply more popular (at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭scwazrh

you should be keeping that . Swiss dial only will go up in value over time .Unless you need the cash but you’ll not get its real worth at the moment

Yes I agree 100% with you @scwazrh. I also think the polar explorer is underappreciated at the moment compared with other steel sport. I do need a good chunk of cash to bridge the gap, but I think I might be ok without having to sell the Explorer II. I hope!

If I was going to have one Rolex.. the Polar Explorer would be it.

Now's your chance ;-)

Market is very depressed. This is good for buyers, bad for sellers. It's unlikely you will be able to pick this watch up for this sort of money in 2-3 years time. The long term trend has been steady upwards. But of course nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I've finally put my Explorer 124270 up on Adverts. If anyone here is interested, drop me a line. Better deal for people on here of course.

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/rolex-explorer-124270/29434069

• Advertisement

I won't lie, your Explorer II has me interested. But I'm not sure about the market being very depressed. It seems more like a smallish adjustment of a bubble may have happened.

Looking at the chrono average value curves for this watch; It was ~9.5k at its peak not quite a year ago and it's now about 8.5k. But only 10 years ago you would have bought that watch for under 4k. And as late as mid 2018 for a little over 4k. It seems then there was a price explosion from late 2018 onwards that's seeing a little correction now.

So while I really like your watch the market is still too hot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Rolex divers for what they cost don't really have any draw for me. As someone the rolex brand doesn't really matter to, I'd be as happy with my Steinheart, and I have worn a gshock daily for the last year or so despite having a few different options. Tried on a speedmaster when on holiday last year, and it kind of underwhelmed me for the c.7k it was listed at. That model Rolex explorer is probably the one I'd consider along with the milgauss, it really is a stunning watch in it's simplicity and classiness. GLWS.

For sure I bought one myself, just like this, in October / November 2020 for €5450 and that was from a dealer and a full set! Mind I sold it to another dealer just a few days later for €7000

We'll have to see. Nobody knows where the market is going, but my gut tells me lower end Rolex steel sport will likely be worth 20-30% more than they are now within the next 2-3 years. I'm not selling now anyway, unless I get good money for it. The deal with the Skydweller didn't go ahead, so I've no current need for cash, quite the opposite. And where a Rolex likely will go up, money in the bank with certainty will go down in value because of inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭scwazrh

A speedie is a bad example of a €7k watch.I paid €3k for mine and that’s probably its realistic value price point.Anything above that and you’re only paying for the story that omega is bleeding to death.

'You should sell it to that nice Fritti chap for €3,500'

I had some nice calamari for my dinner. Grilled, not fried though 😂

Wow, sweet! Well done!

Out of interest how much did you get compared to the cheapest identical watch located in the EU on Chrono24?

Just had a look there. A smidgen less than the cheapest. Obviously big demand for it. I could have sold it three times over.

I've bought and sold Rolex steel sports slightly under the cheapest EU C24 prices privately a few times. And I always use it as a benchmark if I need to price something. Seems to work quite well but if you want to save yourself a few more percentage points of the price, it would be cheaper to go pick one up abroad yourself. There seems to be a slight premium for watches in Ireland, I guess there is very little competition here. There are a few shops for second hand luxury watches, but all overpriced too (compared with similar shops in other EU countries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I didn't have to do any of that and I saved 100% of the purchase price! 😁

I buy all my watches abroad, defintely seems like better value. Not sure if it's VAT or what that seems to make watches dear in Ireland. I had a dealer here offer me 1.5k less than the asking price.

Dealers are chancers and they have to make a living out of it, can't really blame them.

VAT is not the issue, I think it's just because we are a small market and a remote island far away from the rest of Europe. And perhaps the people here on average aren't the toughest negotiators compared to continental Europeans

I keep an eye on chrono atm for the Explorer II 16570 and I blame you for getting me interested. ;) This may well turn out to be expensive for me.

Anyway I see the cheapest with full kit is 8,000 and cheapest without box/papers is 7,250. Both dealers with the advantages that come with that.

Now that's not the SWISS only but apart from the short production window and the rarity that comes with it I fail to see the advantage of it in any case. I believe the post SWISS only even has an upgraded lume and obviously tends to be a bit newer.

Anyway so 7,250 minus chrono tax/commission I can totally see how a dealer would offer something in the low mid 6ks.

Are you on TZ-UK? You can pick up the odd Rolex for a bit under market value there sometimes. But obviously most of the posters are UK based, so you would have to dodge the tax if you bought a watch there. I don't think this is encouraged on boards.ie 😁

I don't have enough history on TZ to see the sales. It would take me quite a while to get there too. Even if I got past that - like you said - there is the VAT issue negating any possible price advantage. Not really an option for me. But thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I am selling my omega speedmaster moonphase. Complete set with extra omega strap and pin buckle

Adverts has it with photos.

Deal for anyone here interested.

Incoming grail I hope need to make room.

Tell us what's the grail?

Here's your ad on adverts for anyone wondering:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

50 this year, patek is calling, 5960 deal viable in sq if i can make it happen. i love omega but every time i get to really like one i decided to move to a bigger piece. i then regret it for years. hope this wont happen again.

I consider this speedy the best of omega. its nicely complicated, great movement, lovely bracelet with the micro adjustment, and yet it falls under the radar with the flashier models like meteorite dial , blue side, grey side etc. its a huge lot of watch for 8k i think.

• Advertisement

Nice speedy..

Patek 5960… holy crap

Advertisement