Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Mr Burke responded: “To sit at home would be to accept I erred or transgressed or did something worthy of investigation for gross misconduct.”

Under questioning from Mr Justice Edwards, Mr Burke said he “utterly rejected” that there had been “gross misconduct” on his part.

Referring to the interruption by Mr Burke of a chapel service to voice opposition to the principal’s request, the judge said there had been a “public spectacle”.

He said Mr Burke had not addressing “other facets and dimensions to what occurred which in the eyes of some people might be gross misconduct” and that there was “a time and a place” for raising issues.

Mr Burke defended his intervention at the chapel service and also described comments he made at a staff meeting as “a measured contribution”.

From an article in the Indo. Talk about mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

After seeing how the Burkes behave when things don't go their way, I find it difficult to believe he's capable of making a measured contribution. Unless they think shouting at people is normal behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Can't believe judges are still entertaining this nutter. Needs to be given a very short "No dice" sermon the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Very clever of the judges not delivering judgement in court. It'll be emailed and Burkes wont get publicity of shouting at judges

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you spent most of your working day listening to the crap some people get up to you become wise in dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Unbelievable! Do you think you are me or some guy from a deprived area would be entertained in this way, like hell they would! This whole charade is costing thousands and this bigoted individual has no intention of footing the bill.

And getting to pursue his cause on several fronts.

Hopefully the judges give him a swift killer blow on this one.

• Advertisement

👁️ Enoch Watch 👁️

• Thursday 9 Feb - Day 12 at Wilsons Hospital School
    • Friday 10 Feb - Deferred High Court Review (Removed from High Court)
    • Monday 13 Feb - Removed from High Court (again)
    • Thursday 16 Feb - Court of Appeal (Judgement Reserved)
    • Friday 17 Feb - WHS on Mid-Term Break
    • Friday 17 Feb - Fines x 22 Days @ €700 per day (27 Jan to 17 Feb inclusive) = €15,400
    • 🏳️‍🌈 ⚧️ Donations to "Enough, Enoch" GoFundMe in support of Irish LGBTQ+ charities = €10,567 ⚧️ 🏳️‍🌈

HAPPY FRIDAY 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't think the Court of Appeal deliver reserved judgements by email. I think a hearing is called to deliver the judgemnt. Here's information from the Courts Service. Sounds very much like the parties are notified of a hearing to me. They may get notified by email.

https://www.courts.ie/court-of-appeal-in-court

At the conclusion of the hearing, the judges will either deliver judgment the same day (known as an ‘ex tempore’ judgment) or deliver judgment at a later date (known as a ‘reserved judgment’). The Court of Appeal Office will notify the parties in due course of the date the judges will deliver judgment if the judgment is reserved.

A "written judgement" is a judgement that explains the legal reasoning behind the decision, and it is a written document, but I think it's still presented at a hearing. It seems in the UK and some other jurisdictions that reserved judgments are usually delivered in writing (letter), but I don't see any reference to that here (happy to be corrected).

One thing that one of the Judges said early on yesterday (and I can't find the reference now) was that they explained to Burke that if the hearing ended with them reserving judgement (which is not uncommon), that they would be in their rights to consider his behaviour regarding the court order to stay away from the school after the appeal in deciding the outcome - so that if he turns up at the school next Monday (after the mid-term break), they can take that into account in coming to their decision. It's one more chance he's been given to follow the rule of law. One chance too many in my opinion, but I think the message to him when they do deliver their judgement is - since you blatantly refuse to follow the rule of law, you can't benefit from it either. I'd say this will end up in the Supreme Court, because it's a pretty important concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,359 ✭✭✭✭looksee

since you blatantly refuse to follow the rule of law, you can't benefit from it either. I'd say this will end up in the Supreme Court, because it's a pretty important concept.

Can you take that to a logical (?) conclusion that if someone breaks the law by, say, stealing, then they can't expect the fair trial that the law promises?

Edit - yes I suppose it has to be proven that the law has been broken, but after that can they rely on legal rights to, for example, proper application of sentence or human rights within prison?

No, I worded it badly, so that's on me. I meant the rule of law in its procedural sense.

The judge in the January 18 hearing said that Burke can't expect to get court orders against another party while he's refusing to obey the orders that that party have lawfully secured against him in the first place. He's still getting access to the courts and a fair hearing, but he's expected to play by the rules, just as the school is. Also, this is civil law, not criminal.

Basically, he has to accept the authority of the court if he want to utilise the authority of the court. He can't say on one hand that the court doesn't have the authority to issue an order against him while on the other hand demand that the court issue an order for him. Doing so is seen as an attempt to put himself above the authority of the court. One of the things the judge said yesterday was “Our concern is, you’re saying to this court, 'I want to invoke your jurisdiction',” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You have to come to court 'with clean hands'.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

would it not be inequitable for the court to rule against the case in one aspect and expect the school to abide by that ruling while Enoch ignores the ruling against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say I'm an outlier here but I don't agree with the concept that if you refuse to follow the rule of law, you can't benefit from it either.

The law is the law and everyone should benefit or be punished equally. Going back to January 17th, Justice Dignam said Burke had a strong case for the injunction against his disciplinary procedure and that the Court was prepared to grant the injunction but then the Judge didn't grant it because Burke refused to abide by the School's injunction. Personally I think the judge should have separated the two issues. If Burke had enough of a case for an injunction, he should have been granted one. And then he should have been jailed/fined etc. for failing to follow the School's injunction.

Yeah, and that's why I think this will end up in the Supreme Court.

It's all a bit of a muddle because there's so many orders and judgement and hearings, but I don't think the appeal yesterday was against that decision (made by Mr Justice Conor Dignam on January 18th), so I would assume that there'll be another appeal against it separately. Yesterday's appeal was against the orders by Judges Ms Justice Siobhan Stack and Mr Justice Max Barrett regarding the orders the school secured against him. But it looks to me that the Court of Appeal will potentially use the same argument in denying his appeal (you can't get an appeal against an order you refuse to ever acknowledge). And that's why their "written judgement" is important - it will outline the legal reasoning behind that in detail.

The law is the law and everyone should benefit or be punished equally. 

And I think this is the nub of it. The argument is that it is Burke that is making the whole thing unequal in his favour by refusing to recognise the authority of the High Court and putting himself above it.

What Burke is doing is playing a soccer match where he handles the ball, punches the opposing players, scores goals by kicking the ball wide - and says that the ref can do absolutely nothing about it. Yet if the opposing team so much as go offside, he's demanding the ref give him a penalty.

The ref is basically telling him to fúck off out of it.

• Advertisement

But the ref can do something about it. They can give him the ultimate red card...........jail.

I have to admit, I don't fully understand the reasoning behind being reluctant to have him rot in jail his whole life if that's what he decided he wants to do. The  monetary cost of it shouldn't really be a factor for the Court, and the fact that "he wants it" or that it makes him a martyr should be a secondary concern to the authority of the court and the rule of law. And I think they've made it clear that jail is still an option - higher courts tend to look unfavorably on going for the nuclear option first - he's being given chances, and when he runs out a more than reasonable amount of them, he'll have absolutely no leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

I wonder could they do any subsequent hearings via video link, and after a while just turn down the volume and wheel the telly into the corner of the courtroom while they get on with other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Is this heading for the ECHR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Can't see any basis for that. You can't just rock up to any court not to mention ECHR (although Burke seems to think differently) on the basis of feeling hard done by or God was telling me I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

which case, his sacking or the injunction? there is no path to the ECHR for his sacking. and standing outside a school you no longer work at is not a human rights issue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly - It's reserved for arguments on a point of law , not because he doesn't like the ruling.

His complaints about the law as regards his "rights" are stopped dead by the simple question - Did you submit a grievance to the School/Dept. Of Education via the formally agreed process as per your terms of employment?

His answer is "No" and the courts response is "Well , Tough then".

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Part of the initial reluctance on the part of the judge was that Burke was still suspended with pay from the school while he was in jail. Which meant that he was fully supported by the state, and additionally getting a full salary from the state. Burke had to be released from jail for the disciplinary hearing to go forward. And since the threat of jail doesn't seem to dissuade him from violating the law the judge is trying fines instead. He has stated that he doesn't want to send Burke back to jail, but has not ruled out doing so if needed. So we'll see where things go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Apologies if this has already been covered but anyone know who is bankrolling this family?

Advertisement