Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I took the Born out for the first long drive today. 202 roundtrip to Wicklow and back. Used 49% of the battery which seems pretty good.

Yesterday I passed another Born on the road. First time I'd seen another one, other than my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Still a rare sight on the roads alright, there's another 1 in the town I live in that I've seen a couple of times but that's the only 1 I've seen. And the dealership is in that town too.

Nice range there, I'm seeing some indications that 400 would theoretically be possible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

400 is possible , done 288km Dublin to Donegal in October 22 and had 120 range left , temp was around 16/17 degrees .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Also done the same journey in December temp outside was 2/3 degrees and had 35 range left .

Yes, I got from Dublin to Antrim 204kms with 50% battery left on a day in October which was warm too. Kept speed nice and handy at about 110 on motorways. Charged back to 100% overnight in hotel. Drove home next night temperatures had dropped and I drove faster and I arrived with under 40% remaining but I'd say if I tried I would have got home without charging.

• Advertisement

Speaking of range, I've a trip coming up from North County Dublin to Athlone. Would you charge to 100% for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Theres probably 3000-4000 VW Group cars in ports at the minute waiting boats but 2000 due in the country over the next week. Keep your fingers crossed your car gets loaded on one of them between now and early next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Spotted 6x new Cupra born is 4 colours at Johnson & Perrott Mahonpoint. Maybe someone can spot their car there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PhillyConlan

Thanks for that, at least I've some context now!

On another note, is it safe to assume that a boot liner designed for id3 will fit the born?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I have a blue 58kwh non-eboost model in Dublin about to be delivered to the dealer that I no longer want, if anyone wants to jump the queue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Question time.

6 months in and I'm finding that the bluetooth connection to my phone doesn't always kick in when I turn on the ignition and 75% of the time I end up having to do it again manually or it simply won't happen. Often I could have driven 1km and the suddenly it starts. I listen to music that way for simplicity (or so I thought!). Am I missing a trick somewhere? In all previous cars it synced when I got in and played away.

It wasn't too bad at first but is seriously annoying now.

I'm almost 6 months in too and haven't experienced that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

From what I remember as long as the audio source is Bluetooth I believe it should just play automatically. I usually use Android Auto so it won't autoplay if I'm in the car with my phone in my pocket as the source isn't set to Bluetooth.

It's not very responsive when changing songs though, I'd highly recommend using wired Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

Best to avoid wireless everything. Wireless Android Auto is crap and slow and wireless charging is bad for batteries due to excess heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Thanks both. I have no time for Android Auto wireless myself hence the basic bluetooth. Must give wired a go

Stupid question incoming.....does plugging the phone in via usb-c charging ports give wired android auto? I've never plugged in before due to the wireless charging pad being there

Yeah, it's a data port so can transmit the information to display Android Auto along with charging.

I found Bluetooth and wireless Android Auto were slower/laggy if changing songs. My phone is also 2 years old and I don't want to put stress on the battery with wireless charging!

Only downside is you need a USB-C to USB-C cable which most people don't have laying around. Anker make good cables if you shop on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

I got a call from my dealer (West Dublin based) this afternoon. My car was delivered to them today. A day or two prep and it's ready to go.

Unfortunately for me, due to other commitments I can't collect next week so provisionally early the first week in March so.

Something like this from using the website based configurator.

Can't wait.

McCoy's? Saw a vapor grey with those wheels alongside a white one parked outside.

Do you mind me asking when you ordered?

Congratulations, first new owner on this forum for a while. Good fun car. Enjoy and fire any questions you have

• Advertisement

Yep, so sounds like mine. I "ordered" quite recently (in early January), but the car was a "built" model so was more a case of taking what was available / en-route, otherwise it would have taken many months, something I was too impatient for, plus with rumours about the grant reducing after June I decided to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

As it happens I would have gone for that color anyway, especially when I saw it in the flesh / test drove one, and the fact that it was available and with the larger wheels with the copper, sealed the deal for me.

It's mostly all good! Like you I ordered a built model too and got it in late September. Same dealer too

Congrats!

After reading that I've been staring at the phone all day waiting for a call. Fighting the urge to ring them as I've been on every week since the new year for updates

If it helps the dealership emailed me a few days prior to the "it's here" call, to complete some paperwork re the grant. I had been promised "before March" so had it in my mind to chase them but I held back hence I was delighted when I got the email and took the grant paperwork request as as a sign that "it's near".

The above is just my experience, so don't take that as anything other than my experience. Maybe others have had similar experiences.

Post edited by Kebel on

That's good to know thanks. I was supposed to have it mid Jan, then it kept getting pushed back and 2 weeks ago I was told I'd have it by the end of the month. That was the last I heard from the dealer.

Still no grant forms for me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I've PROVISIONALLY got the Born on my shortlist.....

Is it really as good as some of the more positive reviews like Jonny Smiths long road trip review.....

When I got the car, it came with a Cupra branded USB-C to USB-C cable.

I drive a born and I also regularly drive the fathers etron. As well as the missus 530e the odd time. The Born is the best drive of the lot, feels just as fast (its a tiny bit slower than both to 100kmph, maybe a second, id guess it loses the second between 80-100) but it's nimbler than either.

It's 20k cheaper than 530e new and 40k cheaper than the etron so it doesn't stack up in materials and overall nice place to sit but then again it couldn't for the money really could it? But it's not poverty levels either, the mixture of colours and textures give a semi premium feel. Steering wheel feels lovely.

It's marketed as a hot hatch EV but I've never had a hot hatch ICE so I can't really comment, the reviewers say it nearly pulls it off but not quite, mainly down to weight which every EV suffers from. But it is fun. I'd guess its more fun than other EVs.

Everything is done through the screen, I do like the physical buttons of the audi and bmw but you can customise screen to your liking to a certain extent.

Overall its grand, there's no other EV out there I wish I had instead, I'm not a huge fan of SUVs.

• Advertisement

Depends what you want out of a car? I'm a big fan of VW Group cars, they do things a lot better than any other cars I've driven from rivals. A car is a lot more than spec on a brochure, some cars have auto headlights or wipers that just don't work well where VAG are better. I also hate crossovers as I spent a lot of time driving two that a family member owned so I'm firmly in hatchback territory.

The Born drives really nice. VW cars tend to have good suspension, other cars often rattle your fillings out. It's comfortable for long drives and also handles being driven harder. The inside quality is nice and I like the styling Cupra put in over the ID.3 plus you get the bigger screen and nicer seats. It's also fairly practical, decent boot and plenty of room in the back for adults.

Advertisement