Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

I've re-read this thread a couple of times, and I can't see anywhere that someone has used xenophobic term to insult Germans.

You, on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Not on this thread.

The above just refers to my opinion that German cars are better built than those made in China, creates local jobs and reduces carbon footprint etc.

I have not called anyone a …………..(don’t want to use that word)

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

Fair enough.

To be honest though, you can't be playing the poor mouth about insults on one hand and with the other be dealing them out.

That's just my opinion though.

I am not insulting anyone, I am making comments about car brands…big difference.

You're trying to backtrack by using semantics, and that won't work.

You never mentioned a Chinese car brand. You mentioned China as a whole. You specifically said you wouldn't recommend a car that originates in China. Do you not see how insulting that is?

Like saying you wouldn't recommend hiring an Irish person because they're all drunks. Or a Russian because of Putin. Or a German because of Hitler.

It's insulting a whole nation.

• Advertisement

Nope, I’m just saying that in my opinion, they can not make cars as good as the Germans can. This is a motoring thread, that’s what the discussion/context is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, but you are not doing yourself any favours by insulting the brands that other people have bought, even if it is just your opinion. It sounds very childish when you read the posts. People work hard for the cars they buy and every car is a compromise, yes a VW may be better at some things than a Tesla, but the Tesla will be better at other things. A BMW may be better than a Tesla, but it costs more like for like.

As a pal of mine says "Say what you like about my wife, but don't insult my car"..😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Since when have BMW’s or any German car been really well built? Early 90’s I would have thought.

Ah here now, I never had an ounce of trouble with my i3 Rex.

Almost 30,000 Kms on my id3 tour 5, got it mid October 2021, headlight misted up, replaced under warranty, apart from this no issue.

• Advertisement

VW quality took a noise dive in the 00's but improved a lot when they changed to Common rail around that time, nothing to do with common rail as their 1.9 TDI's were bullet proof until they changed to the 2.0L PD but when they changed to common rail around that period the quality greatly improved.

My Brother has had Audi for years and no issues, oh , no , he had a multitronic box replaced under warranty on a B6 A4, but that was it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I never had trouble with my i3 BEV other than split shock dust covers. Replaced them in my garden.

This is Ken thing I’ve posted a lot in the i4 thread. That bmw messed up the i4 by being cheap skates. They used the ICE platform, still kept the ICE downsides such as the really small rear passenger space, transmission tunnel FFS and it still even has the petrol cap holder on the charging flap!

The i4 could have been great if they built on the i3 mantra of innovation!

• Administrators Posts: 391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Considering an EV, what to buy?.

Yeah forgot, I have my shock covers replaced + door seals under warranty. That's all in 4.5 years and 140,000 odd Kms

Thats brilliant, seems like you have a really fantastic car.

The i3 is gone, in the id.3 tour 5 now. i3 was a great car though. Love the id3 now too, nice comfortable cruiser for the endless motorway commutes and the travel assist is really great to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

BMW expands car production in China

‘Despite the challenges of the last three years, this complex construction project was completed fully on schedule,’ said Milan Nedeljković, BMW board member for production. ‘Our Chinese production sites are highly significant for the BMW Group. Last year, almost one in every three BMW Group vehicles delivered around the world was manufactured in Shenyang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Not the premium ultimate driving machine ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Can we have a thread that is called "Really happy with owning an EV in Ireland", the glass half full to this half empty. In terms of quality, I guess we will all know how good Chinese made cars are, because we will all be driving on in a decade or 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No need, we all know what its like in the real world, keeping toys in the pram

11 hours in A&E

4hrs + or - missed flights in airports

20 minutes at a CP

On the subject of toys I just wonder what happens when the solar powered roger rabbit need charging at midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrKETxwRvM

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Plenty of people are happy with their experience and often share it, we've had a few "personal experience" threads. Not everybody has a great experience and it's important that they too are given a place to share it. What I don't want to see happen is a thread about Suzuki releasing a new EV turn into an argument because someone once bought a Nissan Leaf, got delayed at a rapid charger and missed out on buying the winning EuroMillions ticket.

When an outsider comes into the forum and asks for advice about choosing an EV, they shouldn't be greeted by forum regulars having the same tit-for-tat arguments because their experience of a particular brand was different. I want people to try and focus on helping the OP, not attacking each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I agree liamog, some very entrenched views on this forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

ESB should introduce the occupying fee, i.e. X euros per minute after the charging is idle for Y minutes.

Some people are using the charging point as if they were theirs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They should do this, but the boffins over in Ecar software division don't seem to be able to do this

To be fair, I haven't seen a whole lot of chargepoint hogging going on recently. It went way down in ROI after paid charging was introduced

What I've seen happen is either lack of knowledge where someone doesn't know about the overstay or doesn't realise that other people are waiting on the charger. Or the other case is a car with a big battery like an ID.4 needing a longer session to fill the battery.

Even getting to 80% on a 50kW unit can take an hour with a 77kWH battery

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭zg3409

Easygo had this for a while (a per minute overstay fee) and then switched to a fixed penalty after 60 minutes. I would prefer a per minute fee but someone who had it stopped for whatever reason.

As an EV owner with access to a diesel the cars are great if you have a home charger but public charging when travelling beyond home charger range can be very hit and miss particularly at peak times like Friday evening on motorway routes. It can really take a shine off a long trip when you find 1+ cars queuing at a 50KW+ charger. We need triple the number of 50kW+ chargers right now, let alone future needs.

Depends where u get your info whether Dublin vs Amsterdam is wetter.

I think we need more affordable housing ( not state housing ) along with lower cost of living and not to make Women feel like staying at home to raise their Children is something for the 1950s. How many Women would choose to commute 10 hrs a week or more and deal with Bollocks in work than stay home with their Children ? Working is not something Mothers Choose do today they have no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

One of the ways to sort long term value and reliability of EVs is to introduce a simple extended warranty product on the battery or whatever the big cost is if things go wrong- if EVs have an estimated battery life of close to a million miles as someone pointed out earlier, then insurance companies should have a viable new product to market- peace of mind knowing if your battery dies, that it won’t cost you 7-10k or more to replace, makes perfect sense to me- especially if overall, batteries remain reliable in the main long after their guarantee period expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Getting back to the original topic of EV cars, I certainly think, like many policies the current government is championing they work but only for town or city dwellers where they are making short journeys. I certainly wouldn’t purchase one being a country dweller and especially not as a commuter. The cost is also a huge barrier, I don’t think ev cars are the way forward. They’re about the only thing being presented to us right now but I’m not at all convinced they are our future for transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I reckon costs of production are only going to rise. The countries where essentially slave labour is mining for the minerals needed to build the batteries will eventually insist on higher prices- war and political chaos is also a huge threat to the EV industry as we have seen to date, and that will also increase, maybe in other countries too- of course that’s related to other electronic products too, like mobile phones.

I look at EVs as the beginning of something different, not the end solution - buyers of EVs a few years ago have benefited from tiny car depreciation due to supply shortages - prices have risen as a result for new EVs but I don’t see the low depreciation ending soon- the world is still chaotic and that means high prices will continue into the short to possibly medium term (5 years)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Like an extended warranty that Tesla offers?

Its €2800 from memory for 4 years.

Puts it on par or slightly better value than the bmw extended warranty for my 520d. Quoted €850 for the year.

Advertisement