Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options
  • 17-02-2023 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Read this article earlier. I also read that Australia plans to increase the age of the working holiday visa to 50. Im late thirties, currently its 35 years old. I'm in construction, my partner a primary school teacher. Loads of her colleagues are leaving for Australia etc at the end of the school year. 5 girls were renting my parents house last year while on work placement, all gone to Australia.

I've had my fill of this place! Outrageous marginal rate of tax over a pittance, housing a **** show, except if you get your free luxury housing provided by the tax payer. Infrastructure a farce. Decades of talking and going around in circles on every subject, nothing gets done. No political choice... just spineless, inept, self serving politicians! Rte etc. Get me out of here! Hope to god they change that rule! I'd say we will see another big exodus of people the country can't afford to lose...

My parents leave one of their properties in dublin vacant, before they will lose 50% of the income and hand somebody more rights to the place, than they'll have... I know other people doing the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What's the tax, housing and political situation like in Aus that makes it so much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The pay is way better, taxes less. Far better services. Outdoor lifestyle... very cosmopolitan... working in the health services, is night and day. Our mostly young and newly qualified leave in their droves. Partially due to the housing situation, nothing will get done about that. Then on the other side, there is a money no object approach to take in limitless refugees and Ukrainians. This isn't hyperbole, that is an indisputable fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I have family and friends in Aus. It's very expensive to live there. The wages do reflect this however. Friends have gone over and worked for a few years but almost all have come back. I'm sure services are better, as for the most part here, they are worse than third world. However, in saying that the grass isn't always greener.

There are huge problems here at the moment and I honestly don't think there is political will to sort any of them. But we will have to tackle them or otherwise nothing will ever improve.

Exactly. It is expensive, but unlike here, pay reflect it like you say. I remember people telling me syndnsy was mad money when I was going there on holiday for 3 weeks. Sydney even in darling Harbour, was cheap compared to Dublin! Cheap, compared to Dublin! One is a gorgeous stunningly located city, actually so s Dublin, but that's where it ends. Its so clean and well looked after there. That i remember thinking, take my money over there... value was endlessly better than here...

One place in temple bar is now charging e10 a pint...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I was in a place at the weekend and it was almost €30 for a cocktail and a gin and tonic. It was very busy. There are plenty of people with money here. And the reason the government won't attempt to sort some of the problems is because they are not affecting the majority. In my local town a 4 bed detached house is going for 450k. And they are almost all sold.

Sydney is a lovely city. Australia is a lovely country but im just saying that the grass isn't always greener. Most couples come home from there to raise their families in Ireland. You can't beat family support when you have kids.

There are plenty of people struggling here but there are plenty who are doing fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yep, streets of Australia paved with gold, free housing, free food etc. yada yada yada.

You've to work bloody hard for whatever you get in Australia. I'm married to an Aussie and neither of us have any intention of moving to Australia. Her sister and her Aussie husband are the same, they prefer living here. Housing is mad expensive over there, as is food. While we moan about the weather here, it's too fcuking hot over there at times. That said, you can make a good living over there if you put in the work. Likewise, you can also make a good living here if you put in the work.

It's a good experience trying things abroad. Makes you appreciate home a little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Tomorrow

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We made a agreement to take in Ukrainians every EU country is taking in Ukrainians they are educated they are likely to go back to Ukraine when the war is over yes there's a problem there's not much buildings left to house refugees that are up to a basic standard of living

Every EU country is taking in people from ukraine

Yes tax in Australia is lower young people are leaving because rents and house prices are high versus other country's

The government says they intend to build 30 k property's per year will this happen I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

How old are you both, murph? Primary school teachers are on the skilled shortages list it’s now up to the age of 45.

https://australiamadesimple.com/immigrate-to-australia-as-a-primary-school-teacher/

You’d walk into a construction job immediately. I’d think about Western Australian which is where the majority of mining operations are. There’s excellent money to be made even after living expenses.

Finding somewhere to rent has become more difficult but if you’re prepared to go further out from a city you should find somewhere. Last time I was there I was impressed with how new housing developments are planned. There’s loads being built right now and within these developments, there will also be schools, shops and recreational areas built at the same time. It just all made sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't fancy Australia myself. Too far away and every country seems to be struggling with healthcare and housing at the moment. I've family who were over but had to return to look after an ailing elder. They said that they'd be happy to spend the rest of their lives there and Melbourne and Sydney score well in comparisons of quality of life.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Thanks. We are 38 and 33... yeah like you say, housing isn't amazing anywhere you would want to go. But no doubt they are handling it way better there and actually get stuff done. Also unlike here, it would be relatively easy to get a place to live, good luck in Dublin. Unless your budget is 4k plus, where obviously it becomes easier...

Their marginal rate kicks in at e115,500 @ 45 percent! As good as triple , the 40k here! Our rate is 50% too!

Worth looking into anyway.

There’s an awful lot of young ones around where I live either recently gone, going or seriously thinking about it. They just don’t see a future for themselves at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

housing a **** show

My parents leave one of their properties in dublin vacant, before they will lose 50% of the income and hand somebody more rights to the place, than they'll have... I know other people doing the same

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Having lived there for a few years, the weather is the major difference.

About most Irish couples returning home, yes that is true, but in the vast majority of cases that I knew anyway it was herself, more than himself, who were the driver there.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

i don;t care about Australia - and if people go there I can see the merit in that - but what you are saying about Ukrainians is just not true

many won't go back says leo varadkar

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said there many of the Ukrainian refugees who have come to Ireland will probably stay and plans have to be made for long-term accommodation.

and if anybody was trying to sell a best case scenario it would be the taoiseach since it's the government have them here.

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I love the ranting from the OP that finishes with "my parents leave one of their properties in Dublin vacant" and then giving out about Ukrainian refugees.

These people are fleeing a war, the OP is fleeing over-priced pints and RTE. Hard to tell who's had the most harrowing journey to this point.

If you're concerned about expensive pints, you may want to do a wee bit more research into Australia.

Otherwise, best of luck. We'll be fine without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I lived in Australia for 5 years (came back in 2006)

Pay was worse for my industry at the time (IT) but costs were a bit cheaper too so my standard of living was pretty much the same as in Ireland. Rent was pricey at the time but as a non resident the accountant at the time helped me claim back loads of tax so that balanced out the rent I had.

It's an outdoor lifestyle (during the weekend). Australia don't have the bright evenings like we do so it's common to be dark when you're going into work and dark when you're coming home.

I lived in the centre of Sydney when I was there. All of my colleagues had an hour commute out to the suburbs as they couldn't afford to live closer. That's an hour by reasonable train west, where it gets veeery hot during the summer.

When you live there for a while you see similar issues to what we have here and they moan the same as we do. I loved my time there and would happily live there. I could have stayed but came back as most of my family are here and wanted to be close. If it wasn't for that I'd probably have stayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Grass is green far away. Hard to beat Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I know Aussies that are coming here to live. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mattser

Poor things having their arms twisted to buy their €10 pint. Pint of water from the tap is still good value here, but third world country something something............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Australia is great but it's very hard to stay there if you go on a WHV. Lots of hoops to jump through. Give it a go if you're able to. Having spent a couple of years there and New Zealand I realised I'm happier closer to home though. In the grand scheme of the world Ireland is one of the best places you can live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The article says they're thinking of hiking it up to 50

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭timetogo1

They might be. But their parents leaving "one" of their properties vacant rather than paying tax on renting it out doesn't seem like they're having huge hardship.

And Australia isn't the only country that people from Ireland can emigrate to. I'm thinking of Portugal when I get into my older years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never lived in Australia, but I have moved around a few different countries in my lifetime and I can guarantee you there's no such thing as a perfect country. Wherever you end up, give it a while, and you'll start to find out the downsides.

Just had a re read of the OP (thanks, monk 😂) and it’s a parents house not theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Advertisement