Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anti EV Nonsense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Co. Clare Man

Can Gumbo or another lad or lass on this Web site kindly lemme know which of the Web pages on boards.ie is the one where I can get down to some serious discourse in relation to our impending transportation crisis? Niall Boylan, even, hasn't discussed this pressing issue on Classic Hits, one of my bestest radio stations. Where in Ireland can I talk to people about solutions to our unhelathy obsession with these high-tech vehicles which will soon have to be sold for scrap early on when ordinary people awaken from their public transport slumber?

Thank you for your comment., However, you've mis-understood me. This country is walking into an ocean-deep crisis unless we get goin' on a new generation of Irish-built locomotives. Up until the 80s, farmer's tractors were built in Cork City. Great things were done once, they can be done again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Has anyone contacted joe on liveline about the situation yet?

Turf, wood, coal, oil, gas and indeed, lithium are non-renewable natural resources. Hasn't anybody given serious thought about what will happen to these gee-whizz e-vehicles when the lithium salt flats out in faraway places like the Americas are depleted forever? When the lithium runs out, the number of these e-vehicles driving on the roads will go right down. Down to the bone. Down to the bone, boy.

Post edited by Co. Clare Man on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭crisco10

This is a very surreal thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You've played a blinder, there! Ireland's population is a good deal larger than it was 50-odd years ago, yet back then, Ireland's rail infrastructure was more developed than it is nowadays. East Clare's railway was dismantled shortly after motor vehicles started to become popular in Ireland. I don't see why Ireland should import e-vehicles from overseas nations, when locomotives can be built in Ireland instead. It wouldn't be too difficult to construct a locomotive works somewhere in Ireland. After all, in the 1960s a very large steel mill was established in Cork Harbour, despite fairly austere economic circumstances. The multinationals will never establish e-vehicle production in Ireland. Over in England and America, more than a fair bit of their road vehicle production has been offshored. It simply isn't viable for e-vehicles to be assembled in Ireland, unless the multinationals are willing to provide the necessary funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

That's exactly what a computer program would say.

How do you use the three sea shells?

Is there any need for childless people, single or married, to drive a SUV? Why couldn't they manage driving a city car? Or, if they think they're too grand to be seen in driving a city car, then couldn't they drive a roadster instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just like every student has figured out. You take the bulk of the ai content and pad it with your flourishes. Again, it’s fairly easy to tell which part is which.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭markpb

I think these two tweets show just how little pollution can be involved in overnight EV charging. This doesn't detract from the need for more rail transport and more active transport in cities but it's still great to see.

I'd be inclined to think that Joe Duffy would not be too interested in Ireland's railways, myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

"One oft-overlooked aspect of the zero-fossil mentality, is that there are exactly zero prototypes of all-electric versions of heavy moving machines."

Have you ever been to Dublin and seen the DART or the LUAS or the LUAS? We've been travelling in all electric VERY heavy moving machines here for almost 40 decades. Have you ever seen a video of London's underground or seen the New York Subways in movies? Have you ever seen a cable car or read about them?

I could almost understand your ignorance if this were thirty years ago, but the world is a smaller place now and information is at your fingertips. Even if you don't leave your parish knowledge is easily obtained.

Your post has to be one of the silliest posts I've read lately.

Why would anybody want to drive the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, when they could drive the Renault Zoe instead? PHEVs won't be saving the planet, that's for certain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Three sea shells, only bots and AI dont know the answer to that ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

OP has had a very productive night/morning his/her/it's first day on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It'd be great if the earth-moving machines built by the likes of JCB of England and Caterpillar of America could be electrified.

The Soviet Union had an electrified railway network decades ago. I'd say that Ireland could have the same thing too in today's day and age without any bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

I bought an E-biscuit and it turned out to be crumbs.

There is however a cornflake-infrastructure project that id like to get my teeth into.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

68 posts in 12 hours between 11:20pm last night and 11:40am this morning.....

thats some going for someone who just discovered d t'internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

OP should look up Netiquette

Seems to be like somebody who might stride back into a room and bark out ".................and another thing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Packrat

How do they actually do this?

Ask ChatGP about EVs in Ireland and then "Irish up" the answer to make it seem local?

The syntax and use of exaggerated "localisms" reminds me of what an American thinks we sound like..

The bits like: 'East Clare (a rural area)' sound to me like something a bot would spit out; factually correct but unnecessary and inappropriate given the nature and prior knowledge of the audience.

My guess is this is an American troll - using a chatbot or similar.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

While I think the OP is a troll / bot I do think that (having recently put a deposit on an EV) there are some major concerns people like to ignore

• PHEVs are probably a waste of time - the head of VVW said recently that it was a pointless tech for the amount of emissions saved.
    • Towing is a major problem - massive range loss and then charge points are not being designed in a way that can facilitate charging with a trailer hitched. Look at the number of tow bars and you will see just how many vehicles have no really suitable EV replacement currently. The few EVs that can tow 1600kg loose about 60% of range with a standard trailer.
    • If you took the tax element out of the equation it would be just as cheap to run an ICE, and cheaper lifelong cost - in the bigger picture the EV savings are due to money not being made availble for public services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

PHEVs are probably a waste of time - the head of VVW said recently that it was a pointless tech for the amount of emissions saved.

im not sure of the context here.

With VW, their context would be germany and theres a bit of an issue of people with a fuel card having PHEVs as company cars and NEVER EVER charging them, because why would they.

For a domestic customer though, who pays for fuel, and can hook it up at home, they are a tidy solution to allow you to do your local runs on electricity and then the odd long spin with zero range anxiety. For those they might also be only doing long spins on holdiay weekends so exactly when they'd be hitting high demand at chargers on the route.

Towing the battery along for a long spin isnt an issue if youve already been saving on your local runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Again, I'll ask the question again - what are you looking to discuss as I can't keep up with you? It started out (as per the heading of the post) as the fallacy of e-vehicles, then moved to the absence of Irish built trains, then impending transportation crisis...?

You seem to be focusing (at the minute) on rail shortfalls and commuting oulook so I would suggest that you raise a thread (if you haven't already) on the below

• Advertisement

This isn't me first-ever day surfing the Web. I've used the Internet before, I tells ya.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement