Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, it goes back a long way - to 1284 when Wales was annexed by England on the death of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd . The Welsh chiefs would only accept England's authority if there was a non-English speaking Lord/Prince that could not speak English. The English King, Edward I, put forward his son as Prince of Wales - he was only 3 months old.

Wales was always part of England as a Principality, and not separate legally. In the 16th century Henry VIII, himself of Welsh extraction as a great-grandson of Owen Tudor, passed the Laws in Wales Acts aiming to fully incorporate Wales into the Kingdom of England. From the Act of Union in 1707 between England and Scotland, created the Kingdom of Great Britain. Wales was treated as effectively a part of England for legal purposes but began to gain an increasingly distinctive status within the United Kingdom from the late 19th century onwards, culminating in the introduction of devolution at the end of the 20th century.

So Wales was represented on the flag by the flag of St George represents Wales, even though it should be St David.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

SNP wanted a referendum before Labour get back in London. Labour could end up in office for a decade and the SNP know that feelings for independence reduce when Labour are in government.

Part of the SNP identity is to criticise the Tories. They find it harder to criticise Labour. The last Labour PM was Scottish.

So it seems that a referendum is off the agenda for a generation.

This was supposed to happen after the 2014 referendum. The SNP have been using the issue as some sort of crusade when the public seem not as interested.

The situation between Ireland and Scotland is completely different.

The 1916 Rising happened just 65 years after the Great Famine. Many in Ireland blamed and had hatred for the London government over the disastrous and reckless response to the unfolding tragedy.

There is nothing like this in Scotland - both England and Scotland were fighting together against Germany in 2 World wars in the past 100 years.

Scots don't have a natural dislike to England or English people, in the same that is very apparent in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They already have a region system set up but it never really got off the ground other than for stats and EU elections.

The originally had limited devolved power but they were stripped by guess who ?

The "levelling up, northern powerhouse" Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There's nearly 250,000 English 'people' living happily here.

Like Scotland the Irish people have issue with British governments, not the people. That's just a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Scots don't have a natural dislike to England or English people, in the same that is very apparent in Ireland"

Hahahhahhahaha are you absolutely joking. I know half of them want the union but it doesn't mean the like the English.

You can't seriously disassociate English people from the English government?

How do you work that one out.

I do, in the exact same way I don't blame the Irish people for the actions of whatever government might be in power here.

And the English media? English Royal Family? English colonialism?

Nothing to do with English people as well?

I enjoy some English media very much and many here do.

I have no interest in the Royals but many here do.

English colonialism was carried out at the behest of English governments by many different people's including our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It was not just Scotland who fought with England in the 2 world wars. Between August 1914 and November 1918 considerably over 200,000 Irish served in armed forces engaged in the First World War.  Much fewer than that fought in the GPO. In the second world war over 80,000 Irish-born men and women joined the British armed forces, with many tens of thousands more going to help in hospitals, factories etc. There are millions of people with Irish ancestry in Britain, the vast majority will tell you they were always treated fairly otherwise they would not have joined they armed services / chosen to live in Britain / still be there. People have been going over and back for centuries.

I just never hear English people criticising Irish domestic issues. I think Irish people would have a fit about it. Sure we get offended when they can't pronounce our Irish names.

I just can't see how the almost daily commentary on England is anything other than veiled anti English sentiment.

So if I comment negatively on something that happens in another country I hate/am anti the people of that country? I hate an awful lot of the people of this world so.

Irish people in their droves express pro English sentiment too, by consuming their cultural output, as they do ours, by having interests in things specifically English, like their monarchy and football teams etc and by going there in huge numbers all the time.

You are creating unbalanced myths tbh

Talking negatively about England daily is specific to some Irish people.

Only if you have your ears cocked for that. Outright hate of the English people is a minor minor sport even from where I am from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I really dislike when posters come into threads trying to shut down discussions based on accusations of racism, tribalism or nationalism. The idea of a new country being created right next door is of course of interest to us. An independent Scotland could easily compete against the ROI with a low tax strategy for example. I doubt an independent Scotland will ever happen but the thread shouldn't be diverted into becoming an English victim mentality thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How are the public not interested when they returned a pro-independence majority of representatives to Holyrood who had stood on a mandate of pushing for another referendum, while at the same time Labour and the Tories stood on opposing a referendum and were soundly beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes no doubt about it the Welsh have got the short end of the stick to say the least from the English.

No question they have a ways to go for Welsh independence to be a real possibility any time soon. But there is no doubt also that an independence movement in Wales has been energized by the fallout from Brexit and the reality of Irish reunification and Scottish independence being very much real possibilities. When the Scottish do regain their independence it will be very interesting to see how the Welsh react in the subsequent years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem Wales have with independence is the same as NI would have - the border. There is no border that is clearly defined such that a customs frontier could be established with any credibility, just as the one between NI and Ireland.

Scotland has a very clear border with few crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What I have always noticed about this thread is that it's as if Irish people with a nationalist outlook are trying to "stick it to the Brits" with their enthusiasm for Scottish independence.

They seem to think that the Scots should have the same attitude to the English as we Irish had when we got independence.

But it's not like that at all.

As you point out, Ireland's independence was only 65 years after the famine, the Irish were always regarded as inferior by the rest of the UK, and there was a very obvious religious difference at a time when religion was a much bigger deal than it is today.

And even given all of the above it still took an armed rebellion and the fallout from it to turn the public towards support for independence.

Prior to 1916 Irish people were pretty benign about being in the empire.

You have none of this with Scotland.

The last religious wars they fought were back in the 1600s and that was because the Scots didn't think the English were protestant enough.

The last uprising came in 1746.

Independence movements usually need a hook, something to show how different they are, it's usually religion or a language or some local trait that distinguishes them from the country or union they are trying to leave.

It's really hard to find that in the Scottish independence movement.

Religion is not a big deal, even though they have their own language it's not the main spoken or written language of the people.

So what is Scotlands hook ?

I don't think they have one.

The 'hook' is that the Scots are predominantly left of centre in their politics, whereas the English are predominatly right of centre, and thus the Scots have had to put up with Westminster governments that do not represent their outlook. Corbyn's Labour was the closest thing to a vision of politics that the Scots would endorse, and yet he was completely anathema to the English general public.

Add into the equation Brexit, which was opposed by the Scots even more than it was in NI - and factor in that the Scots didn't get any of the perks that NI did such as the protocol, Erasmus continuing etc. - and it's yet another example of a largely English demand taking precedence over what the Scots want.

Independence doesn't have to be about shaking off oppression or persecution as in the Irish case historically. In the case of Scotland, it's about charting a path in politics that doesn't involve having to be subservient to a country with very different politics. If you're a left-leaning Scot with aspirations to be a part of the EU, what is your pathway to do that without independence? Would love to hear it. 'Sit tight and wait for England to get over its post-imperial angst' isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, some good points and it should be noted too that Scotland has a substantial Protestant population and people who were traditionally pro-union and pro-monarchy.

The one thing though that makes independence much more likely is the rise of 'English nationalism'. Many of the English Brexity types don't even seem to like the UK, don't identify with being 'British' and give the impression that they would be more happy to see Scotland and NI leave.

Corbyn's Labour did terrible in Scotland in the 2019 election.

A very valid point on the border between Wales and England no question about it. A lot of work to do though I think by the independence movement within Wales before that even comes close to being a real live issue the border that is and what it would be. But nonetheless it is interesting to watch the first significant flowers of a Welsh independence movement developing.

We have conversed so to speech before on other threads and tend to agree for the most part but I will have to say I cannot agree with the thrust of what you posit here. Firstly as an Irishman with some Scottish relatives who enjoys visiting them in Scotland there is no sticking it to the English mentality on my side or anybody else in my family in Ireland. While for our Scottish relatives it is about the kind of society and outlook on life and how they want their countries direction to be that is their hook. Their outlook on life and the kind of society they want to live in is diametrically opposite to the one put forward by the tories. They feel that Scotland has no voice in the UK and never will because the English majority will always control any outcome. So no matter how they vote or how completely they vote opposite to England they end up stuck with a government and polices that are in direct opposition to their wishes. Be it being a member of the EU or a society that has a greater emphasises on the We as opposed to the English emphasises more on the I they see no future as part of the UK in terms of being able to live in and build the kind of Scotland they wish to live in.

That was very much about Brexit. Labour's vote has predominantly collapsed in Scotland under criticism of them being Tory-lite. Someone of the Corbyn wing of the party - who would support rejoining the EU, unlike Corbyn - would be the best way to combat the Labour slide. It doesn't look possible in the short-term. Starmer is opposed to Corbyn-style politics and is terrified of upsetting the working class English who voted for Brexit.

Ash Regan, who has thrown her hat into the ring for SNP leader, has set out her belief in how independence should be pursued:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Decent enough piece here from the BBC about Scottish independence.

The conclusion: The SNP will have to play the long game and hope that the current cohort of young voters that currently show the greatest support for independence remain supporting it while the middle aged and older opponents literally die out.

Then if support is consistently in the 60% range for a long period Westminster can't deny a referendum.

And probably by that time it will be another generation on from 2014 anyway.

Advertisement