Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Define quickly? It has been suggested that NI needs at least 20 years to catch up education wise to attract FDI. That means no improvement in access to the single market and at least 20yrs where access to the UK is hindered further before the possible benefits of unity might start to trickle down into the economy.

What market is going to make up for the losses from trading with the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think that '20 year' figure was suggested by someone who is repeatedly negative about Unity - John Fitzgerald.

Why it would prevent improvement in access to the single market you'll have to explain further.

What market? The ones we are now exploiting having reduced our dependency on the UK one. I don't think the losses are neccessarily going to be that great anyhow. Brexit will eventually settle down and you'll find people will get on with the new realities and learn to cope.

NI already has full access to the single market! Unity doesn't have an advantage in that respect. That is why I'm asking how making trade more difficult with the UK is an advantage??

Fitzgerald figure is based on real data ie educational performance. Can't be disputed and the 20yr is how long it took us to improve from a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

GB was always a trading nation, and always did and always do want to trade with the world, that is part of the reason for Brexit. The EEC started off as a trading bloc for free trade between 6 or 9 counties but then became a political union and spread east. Anyway, you seemingly think Brexit was a success if you think our trade with GB is growing way past pre Covid levels.

We have an all island economy now with no trade barriers, plus we have the advantage of many billions each year from Britain going to N.I., plus those in the 6 counties have the NHS, lower vat and taxes etc. Win win. Plus, in these days of Putin agression, at least we have a NATO member looking after part of the island for us. And intercepting Russian jets off our west coast for us. At no cost to us. Win win.

• Advertisement

We covered all this yesterday. Read back, see contributions about 'full membership/subsidies/ and what being a full member means.

Understand that is why NI voted to remain fully in the EU.

See also where I said to the same question: That while more difficult trade with the UK is possible, it would be quickly outweighed by all the other benefits and opportunities of full mmebership and a functioning all Ireland economy. The benefits for society here as a whole would be massive.

The conversation started because you claimed the newspaper article showed that NI would benefit economically from ditching the protocol and joining Ireland.

Can we at least agree that the article does not support such a claim?

Correction, it is an 'interpretation' of the data. Easy to say but harder to prove.

In saying that there is no doubt education in NI is a victim of the failed state like so much else. IMO it won't be fixed until the cause is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Northern Ireland only had 62% of turnout and the vote to remain was 55.78%

Hardly a resounding victory for the remain campaign either.

Here is what I said and I stand over it:

The Protocol continues to show that NI can be as productive as any other part of Ireland and that Ireland's people, as one economic unit, are better off.

• Advertisement

In any election/referendum if people fail to vote I assume they are happy with whatever outcome occurs. There is no other way to proceed in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drifter100

Correct and right

Over 1 million people from Norn Ireland identify with being Northern Irish. So when the protocol is implemented these people and more will realise that having the best of both worlds and remaining within the UK and having open border with the Republic makes sense for all. Thats why unification is disappearing further and further into the mythical future and won`t happen for at least 2 generations thank goodness

So lets look at the productivity aspect. The increases NI has seen is due to them being the only part of the UK that we can freely trade with. If you remove them from the UK then that competitiveness is lost due to our higher cost base. NI performance is because of the unique situation they find themselves in rather than a systematic improvement in their economy.

Would that be a fair statement?

So you agree with him that educational standards in NI hinder FDI?

The number of people who were recorded as 'Northern Irish only' is broadly stable - standing at 379,300 people in 2011 and 376,400 people in 2021.

When I was at school that would have been a 'fall' in the number identifying as 'Northern Irish'

Of a certain type, yes. Not all FDI requires highly educated workers. Again I say transition will take a while but ultimately that investment will have a pay of for all on the island.

Initially yes, but if NI stabilises societally then I see no reason why new business cannot be attracted.

I believe though that will require an end to partition, NI cannot function properly because of it.

And would you agree that 20yrs is a reasonable timeframe as that is roughly how long a full education takes?

It will take time. As with our own system, which is not by any means perfect, it will always be developing.

I think it is bullshit to suggest that we should delay what will ultimately make a massive improvement in educational outcomes in the north, in the hope a continually failing statelet will solve it itself.

The ratio to remain is not high, the way you go on in these posts you would swear it was a resounding victory which it wasn’t.

• Advertisement

If it can't fix itself then there is no reason to believe Ireland could fix its problems. It's a massive risk because of how fractured NI is. Unity doesn't improve on that aspect and is really irrelevant on that score. Murphy and Wilson will be just as bigoted in a UI as they are now.

The majority wanted to remain in the EU. That is not a lie and hasn't been misrepresented by me.

And by all polling that number is increasing, now polling at 59%

That is your opinion. I have every reason to believe that the absence of partition and a fair, inclusive and equal society will fix it.

Society won't and never will be perfect, but it can be so much better if we have the courage to invest.

Why though, what does unity change that could influence this?

For starters it removes a stagnating and paralysing veto or attempts to impose veto's and progress towards equality and parity of esteem.

Secondly, a government made up of just citizens of this country, without outside impediment, can formulate a way forward that best suits us as a people. Moderate Unionism will involve itself in that, of that I have no doubt.

Investment can be targeted to specific areas in the same way EU funding was here. That transformed society in the south. Despite the scaremongering the EU (which is us as well) and the US and others will be involved in that.

Partition has cost us, economically and societally in a way that can never be costed.

As Brexit has shown it will not and never has worked and will continue to keep us and the north back long into the future.

I beg to differ, you throw it out as if the remain was a huge majority. I am just pointing out it isn't. Polls are even less accurate because they take a tiny percentage of the population.

You also reference Brexit multiple times, Brexit is done now and over. Nearly 7 years now since the vote

I find a lot of people have an obsession and continue to reference to it. The UK has got what they wanted. If the people of Northern Ireland are unhappy with that they need to either push towards a United Ireland/a standalone Northern Ireland/or a vote to rejoin.

At the moment none of the above is happening. Plus looking at the options above the only option which is in their own control is a standalone Northern Ireland.

A United Ireland depends on the Republic willing to fund it and voting for it

A vote to rejoin would first off require the rest of the UK to agree they want a vote and then for the vote to pass.

I beg to differ, you throw it out as if the remain was a huge majority. 

This is your interpretation.

P.S. A UI will be funded by all the people living in it and whatever FDI and investment they can attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The island of Itreland is already funded by all the taxpayers living in it and whatever FDI and investments can be attracted.

However. that is not enough, the government here still borrows many billions every year and N.I still needs many billions every year from taxpayers on UK mainland. A U.I. would not magically change the economy of the island, it would be worse if anything. Imagine if there was a leftist SF government in an all Ireland, FDI and multinationals frightened away, a disgruntled loyalist segment of the population agitating, violence resuming.... The only good thing 😏 is we would have compulsory Irish in schools in the 6 counties, roads and train stations renamed in honour of our heroes and a pension for the volunteers ( last time the government gave a IRA pension to 60,000 volunteers after independence - no reason to suspect Mary Lou would not be as generous ).

No it won't.

The North does not have the capacity to fund itself at the moment and it funded by the UK. Also the North has a huge majority of people working in the public sector support the rest of the UK who would lose their jobs because they are no longer part of the UK. (https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05635/SN05635.pdf)

These jobs would go because they will not be allowed to sit outside the UK. Leaving mass unemployment.

The tax paying people of the Rep of Ireland will fund a United Ireland for multiple years. How long? well nobody knows because the people who could provide this information haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Don't you worry, when we are taxing unicorns and rainbows on the downhill slopes (there are no uphills) in the land of milk and honey, that gives you every reason to believe that the absence of partition and a fair, inclusive and equal society will fix all our problems.

In all seriousness, there has been a lengthy exchange on this, (from which I have stepped back in recent pages from as a result of mod feedback) and that has given me the perspective to realise that there is no economic argument for a united Ireland. Northern Ireland is in a mess at the moment, but the tools to fix it are all there in the hands of the local politicians and have been for the last few decades, the problem isn't partition, the problem is the failure of the politicians to take the correct actions which is causing their current problems. Ditch the DUP and SF and things will quickly be a lot better in the North. The other point is that the potential of the North is higher with partition than without, because of the Protocol. Access to both UK and EU will inevitably attract FDI once the other problems are sorted. Therefore the ceiling is higher with partition.

On the other hand, unity puts a huge burden on the Southern taxpayer, access to the UK is lost for the NI economy, creating a shock to the local economy that could lead to social disorder, which could further put FDI down here at risk, isn't it no wonder that not a single advocate of unity on these pages can put forward a coherent case for any economic benefit out of a united Ireland?

The best that they can come up with is it will be all right on the night and other meaningless platitudes including the US will pay for it and the government has to come up with a plan. No plan could have stopped Covid, no plan could have stopped the economic collapse in 2008 (though FF made it worse) and similarly no plan can make a united Ireland make economic sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement