Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I hear the Australian Border Force now have cocker spaniels that can sniff out whingers, you might need to be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

Better pay and less tax is an obvious plus but it's meaningless if the cost of living is high. Who is better off? The guy who earns 100k a year and manages to save 5k or the guy who earns 60k a year and can save 15k (both with similar lifestyles)?

Now I know that Ireland is expensive and getting worse but I hear stories that fresh fruit and veg in Oz cost a fortune. I always wanted to visit the place just for a few weeks for the craic when I was younger but I would never want to live there. Getting back to Ireland/Europe for a visit is an absolute nightmare. Maybe doable once every 2 years for Xmas if you are single. Once kids come along you can forget it. Getting the family back to visit their granny will cost the guts of 10 grand and might be doable every 5 years.

Would Canada not be a better option? OK it's freezing in winter but lovely in summer. And it's much closer even if you are on the Pacific Coast. About 9 or 10 hours from Vancouver to Dublin/London. When I lived in NY I used to take long weekends to London every february President's Day weekend. Monday was a Bank holiday so I would take Thursday and Friday off, fly Wednesday night from JFK and be in London at my sister's gaffaround 10 am Thursday. Mooch around London for the weekend and fly back on the Monday. Flights were $199 return in february. Win. Anyway that's off topic. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I liked Australia but personally prefer Ireland / Europe.

But I think people should go live in other countries for a time to experience them. Life is too short to be so annoyed with where you are living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's very tough at the moment on some sectors of people in Ireland, but that's only when compared to expectations of how life would be. In reality compared to about 98% of the world, it's a great place to live.

1 or 2 years can make a huge difference in where you are in your life and how well/hard it's going if you figure out what's making it difficult, - then examine a few different strategies for improving it, pick one and make it work. If it turns out to be the wrong strategy after a reasonable and sustained effort, don't be afraid to re-evaluate and change again.

Broadly speaking it's possible to improve your lifestyle and happiness in most countries of similar culture and reasonable opportunity.

Strategy and use of existing resources is everything.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I've got my own place fully paid off... ;) Taking fifty percent of your income over 40k, which is asswipe money in this country. Surprised at how much support the tax regime here has, you must all be on elite incomes and using tax avoidance schemes...

The young don't benefit from the rigged system here, just expected to provide dirt cheap labour for rip off prices... They'd be mad to stay here, unless they see themselves as martyrs...

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say frequent boil water notices and discharging sewage into lakes, rivers and the ocean in 2023 is pretty third world... Are you aware of this?

We have all likely been paying the marginal rate of tax for decades. In a country with no military spend, relatively young population, appalling infrastructure, I think it's reasonable to ask, where is this money going ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

www.skyscanner.ie

www.directferries.ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You really should just get out of the country for a while, when you come back you'll have some real world experience to stack Ireland up against. But understand this: the only reason the Aussie are rising the age limit on the working holiday visa is because they need cheap labour and when they are done with you they'll send you home. So they are exploiting you to their advantage be under no illusion.

What's the roll eyes for ? Read the papers ? This is now a common theme... Landlords selling up on their droves.. the government created the housing crisis and make the rules... They reap what they sow...

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I doubt there is another country on earth that does self-deprecation like we do. I don't know where it comes from. You see it everywhere, on here, on twitter, on facebook etc, Irish people complaining about how terrible they think their country is.

It's all a bit weird IMO.

I love this country. Think it's great tbh. Weather could be better though.

• Advertisement

And housing, health, infrastructure, law and order and every other failing here . " Tis grand" I suppose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,567 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Good luck to ya and take your greedy ungrateful parents with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭brokenbad

For all its faults, Ireland is by no means the worst place to live and rear a family compared to the likes of US, UK or Oz.....spent some time abroad myself years ago but thoughts of home were never far away.

Sally O'Brien Harp Lager TV Ad - YouTube

I've travelled extensively. Off at the moment... Can't beat a bit of sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Used to think like this, bought into all the populist sentiment, got myself all wound up, convinced myself Ireland was terrible, then went abroad and lived in several countries. Took time, but eventually realized that every country has it's own issues and problems. Relatively speaking, Ireland isn't so bad. In fact it's actually pretty good (by living metrics we are often near the top of countries globally to live in)

I remember leaving when we had poor country problems, I came back when we had rich country problems. The latter is considerably better than the former.

Many of my friends also left at the same time I did, almost all of them are either back here or thinking of coming back. Many of those went to Aus, the US, Canada. That speaks volumes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Your parents are contributing to the "housing shitshow" that is driving you away. Maybe tell them its their fault you're leaving.

Landlords selling up in droves would not be causing any problems. Selfish people hoarding empty properties as investments does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

First of all the money is not "way better ". I think you're confusing Australian $ with US $ ! Also you appear to have an issue with immigration policy in Ireland. Well don't forget you will be an immigrant in Australia a country which is ,thankfully, one of the most diverse societies in the world.

The weather is one massive downside to Ireland (though not much anyone can do about that). Everything else is just differing degrees of the same problems other countries have - some are worse in Ireland and some are better. Raw salaries and tax rates aren't good comparators, its all about purchasing parity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mattser

Nonsense. Anyone who believes Ireland is third world should be sent to live in the real thing for six months. Then return back here and report on their findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Headline tax rates aren't a good reason to move. There's a lot that can be done here with pension contributions, EIIS funds etc. here to bring them down.

The complaints on housing, health and weather are more reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

My parents leave one of their properties in dublin vacant,

So your parents have multiple properties, at least one in Dublin?

Sounds like they were the grafting type, not so much the whinging type.

Good for them.

Think it's great tbh. Weather could be better though.

TBH I take it over Oz which consistently are either in floods or droughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you’re saying we need higher property taxes on vacant properties? Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

You're Right then I built my own property and have my own business now. I'm alright jack through my own efforts and the efforts of my parents. I'm out of here regardless though in due course. It's more hundreds of thousands of others here I'd be concerted for. Cheap labour high tax pawns. Paying for others cushy life. They'd need their head examined to stay here... Will be interesting to see what will happen if Australia do change the rules.

Thanks for the Canada suggestion. Too cold in the winter, couldnt handle it... its one of the main reasons I'm leaving here, the dark, short, miserable winter days...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

“The weather is one massive downside to Ireland (though not much anyone can do about that).”

I’m sure somebody will blame RTE before the thread is out.

So you have done exceedingly well and so have your family?

But you are concerned for others who haven't and that's why you are emigrating? 😕

You do know there is people in Oz who haven't done exceeding well either and lots of other places?

It sounds like you have completely thought it through anyway. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've spoken to quite a few Ukrainians in the past year. SOME intend to go back, some have gone to other places (US etc. for work - all paperwork handled for them as they're assets). But, the majority i've spoken to have no plans on moving while the gravy train is running. They have no issues saying they are getting so much more here for doing absolutely nothing. And no shame in that, they're simply taking what they're being offered.

I'm also shocked at the amount of mid-30's (approx.), healthy men that have fled from the Ukraine... how they managed it is a mystery. Well, not so much actually as most of them were happy to share how they wingled their way out (completely dishonest).

• An example one guy gave me. Family with 2 kids. Father takes 1 kid, mother takes the other. Father arrives at border (or airport, in this case), "No mother, I am the only parent, cannot leave my child on their own" ... on the plane they go only to be re-united in Ireland. They didn't go into the details of how they managed to land in the same accommodation in Galway, but it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I'll be happier out of here. I just think many who have never left, don't realise just how mad staying is. Paying fifty percent tax over 40k, as if you're the wolf of wall Street. You're a poverty case on that salary in Dublin in particular... mental property costs. This thing that other cities have called transport systems... the nightlife here for young people is diabolical for a city. D2 and black door on Harcourt Street etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The weather is one massive downside to Ireland (though not much anyone can do about that).

For sitting on the beach, certainly. But with all things considered, we have a pretty good climate here. We don't get heatwaves or proper freezing weather. We don't get heavy snow or hail. We don't get massive flooding or droughts, we don't get destructive wildfires. We don't get tornados or hurricanes. We get year-round mild, damp weather that doesn't need excessive heating, cooling or air conditioning. It allows grass to grow most of the year, giving us our beautiful green fields. There might be days that you don't want to go outside, but there's never really days that you have to take major precautions to do so.

Basically, while the weather here is something we complain about, it's never anything we have to really worry about.

• Advertisement

I suppose that is a nice way of looking at it. Personally I find the lack of "heatwaves" annoying - our summers are too cold and damp for my liking. I'd also be happier with more properly delineated seasons. So basically I just don't like year-round mild, damp weather though I guess its all a bit personal.

I would not be so quick as to conflate great weather for a summer/winter holiday with great weather in general though.

Advertisement