Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I hadn't realised this thread had merged with the begrudging fascist thread about immigration.

I've had the misfortune to work with guys like you whose whole demeanour and attitude tends to bring an air of gloom around the place. So will you just go,anywhere, just go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭NSAman

I find those that say ‘we won’t miss you” are the same people who complain about not getting what they are entitled to most of the time.

I love Ireland. I left again (3rd time fully) in my 40s.

Ireland is turning into a paradise for the socially/tax dependent.

taxes ARE too high.

one common thought throughout the early part of the thread, is that if you work hard in Australia, you’ll make a decent wage and get on. Ireland not so much.

I have worked my b** off, I get to keep more of my salary where I am. I have a vastly superior lifestyle to living in Ireland. Most Irish people I know have a better lifestyle here. Do I miss home? Absolutely!

is anywhere a utopia? No it isn’t! Everywhere has issues. Opportunity though, in countries with more than 5 million people (say 300 million) are much more plentiful, if you are smart and work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The above posts nails it. I don't feel I owe a huge cohort here, the world's most generous welfare state, free housing, medical cards. The people paying for thisBS are poverty cases themselves and qualify for nothing... its comedy!

If fg are as far to the right as we go and are left wing. Workers no longer have a voice...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Funny you should mention Portugal, an Australian once said to me that the Western Algarve reminded her of Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I wonder will the Australians look at you like you look at the Ukrainians coming here?

Going over there to make a better life for yourself and the joys of their country?

Get to fùck.......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

You still here,thought you'd be at the airport by now!

Im waiting for the Australians to change the rules. Then I'll be out of here, with thousands of others too....

Also give me a chance, i live in Dublin, a city of over a million and i cant get a metro to a major international airport. It'll take me 1.5 hours on the 16 to go a few kilometres...

Will I be getting free housing there ? Will i get social welfare ? I wasn't aware of that... please, tell me more

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

It's self fulfilling. Where I work most people are positive, optimistic and we're all doing reasonably well. My brother works with a group where every problem in their life is the governments fault and when you meet up with them for a pint you'd want to give up on life after half an hour listening to them.

With other groups it's more "I have a problem, this is how I fixed it, or I'm doing X or Y". With them it's "Fianna Fail this or Fine Geal that or Sinn Fein etc. etc.". I complain about the government too but I'm not sitting around waiting for them to fix everything (or anything).

When you move abroad (I've done it) you tend to meet up with the people who are positive and working hard and you have no chance to blame the government for all your problems as you're not a resident. If you fail, then you're out on the street with absolutely no state support so sitting around naval gazing isn't an option.

• Advertisement

Exactly. But if you are the boring, gloom and doom,boo hoo it's somebody else's fault type, then moving country isn't going to change you. The only winner is the country you have left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Subjective obviously but I prefer Ireland (and Europe in general) better night life than Australia. But depends what you're into.

Have you been before yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sure what are ya on here whinging for so..start getting your stuff together and be ready to go😂

The OP-

'Just before I go, the taxes...'

Everyone else

'yeah thanks..slan'

What do you mean? I can escape excessive taxation immediately by leaving.... it seems you guys don't have a clue how disproportionately excessive our taxation is on even low income. Ill post up a picture shortly. From 2012. Irrelevant. It highlights the pocket change income here, the max rate applies too. Which is currently, 40k! Likely relatively even worse than the 32,800 you could earn when the comparison was publisher...

Sounds like you'll have to get your partner the teacher to give even more grinds(cash in hand of course!) Anyway good luck,Irelands loss,Australia gain etc etc.

Hard to Fathom all the low wage workers here, actually defending losing half their salary over 40k! Its for the great government services is it lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One of the biggest problems with housing is people leaving houses vacant.

Your parents have multiple properties in Dublin and you are complaining about housing? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,260 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where do the government build all the extra properties ? Start CPOing land ? Start disregarding planning laws ?

the Ukranians are educated but they can attain a far better, safer, well paid quality of life here. which many will. More people in the jobs market simply drives wages down for people here. Look at the UK for example…. Research the wages multinationals pay here vs what they pay UK staff, a significant difference… the wages are shît over there….that is yet another problem we are inviting here.

I seriously think people are underestimating…

1) how many of the Ukranians will be wanting and doing everything they can to stay here. An amnesty is a 100% on the cards. Plus how many of their military, medical staff in time will want to get the fûck out of dodge…and over here to be with loved ones. That will 100% be facilitated… Some comfort for a taxpayer here having gone through college and can’t get housing, can’t get a job, cant get a medical card, can’t get adequate healthcare if the required it and can’t get a mortgage. The pressures on housing, healthcare and other infrastructure, now, before the second influx 😬

2) how long this war will go on for and how much of a threat Russia would be with a new leader… ? If Putin dies say ? We are being completely presumptuous in believing just Putin is the problem. He is being plenty enabled, supported. Shoigu and Gerasimov are completely in line and have personally threaten the Ukraine.

its a pretty miserable future, Sinn Fein showing themselves up for the hyper hypocritical non democratic agenda riddled shower who are more concerned with the plights of others outside our borders. And taking problems we’ve never had and inviting them here. But inviting an electorate that will have sympathy and gratitude for SF.

you democratically invite SF to be in government …. You really believe it would be attainable to democratically force them out ? I don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

A Metro at the end of your road, this is a thing in Australia?

Sounds like you're all excited to hear the loyalist fascist Tommy Robinson speaking in Dublin this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Who's paying 7% usc on 40k? who's paying paying 40% tax on 40k? are they too proud to apply for tax credits? Find me one example of someone on 40k who's only left with 20000 after tax.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

At this point the only thing that remains to fathom out is why you can't keep more up to date that this. No point in engaging in a discussion with someone who is so out of date.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I find it hilarious that some of the racist losers will stoop so low to support a man who is in favour of the British army murdering civil rights activists in the North.

All the while, the same losers have the nerve to call anyone who has a different opinion to them 'traitors'.

See-through scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't mind high taxes, trouble is here we don't get much for them in return.

I loved Oz, loved getting up most mornings to blue skies, not **** grey drizzly depressing weather.

Health care workers esp doing a thankless job, getting a kicking here from the HSE, bullying from their co-workers and (sometimes quite literally) a beating from the general public, why wouldn't they go and shake the dirt of this country off their shoes?

Precisely, high taxes are all well and good, if citizens get bang for their buck… high taxes to pay for sorting out the wellbeing of others ? No thanks.

if I’m handing a guys in a car dealership 100,000 euros I’d like a top of the range high end vehicle of my choosing. If I hand him 100,000 and get givin a 2012 micra and be told he’s going to be giving others cars with the excess cash, to help them out, it’s not exactly kosher. :)

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As recently as yesterday, another poll shows that most people are more interested in improving public services than tax cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭monseiur

Perhaps Steven toast you should wonder, when the OP arrives in Australia, will he (and family) be met at the airport by a welcoming party with Irish flags, will transport be organised for him to a 4 star hotel, will this hotel + all meals etc. be paid for him as long as he wishes to stay. Will he be paid social welfare & children's allowance (even if he works 5 or 6 days a week for cash) will all his medical bills be paid, will free transport be provided for him to airport and back if/when his decided to go on holidays for a week or two or visit home If the answer is yes in all cases then he'll be on par with Ukrainians here.

Exactly! While they drape themselves in tricolors hanging on every word that scumbag Robinson utters!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But sure didn't he expose the muslim grooming gangs.... that were already arrested, charged and on trial.

F*cking moron nearly collapsed the whole trial.

Advertisement