Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not to be too negative but seems a bit pointless other than the kick stand. Wall mounting a handheld device doesn’t make much sense to me either. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Very much a unessesary luxury 😂.

I do have toddlers that have smeared TV's in grubby hands and even pulled down the deck when docked, bending the usb connector on the dock in the process.

I've recently mounted my TV to the wall up out of the way. I'll mount this just behind the TV so I can clip it in and have it stored and still connect it to the TV.

No stranger to the odd unnecessary luxury alright - I have two PS5 controllers in the house and no console to match. 😆 One connected to the PC and one connected to the Apple TV for streaming PC games - cba having to unpair and re-pair them when switching devices. 🙄

Speaking of streaming - you mentioned a while back you can stream PlayStation games to the deck - is that from your PS4 or 5 or how does that work?

You can now do both the streaming from the console (very simple Via chiaki. Just download it from the app store in desktop mode. You do need to get a code from your PSN ID but that take a moment). It works great, can stream from both PS4&5 and let's you play whatever is on the console.

The alternative is to stream playstation plus cloud games. Just download playstation plus for pc exe files and run it in compatibility mode. But you do need the subscription that gives you cloud games.

But both work great. Similar experience with Xbox cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I do have to laugh when browsing Reddit at the extreme lengths some people are going to mount battery banks and SSDs to the back of the Steam Deck, making it less portable haha. Then seeing people docking it, using a wireless keyboard, controllers etc really shows the flexibility of the system. It's impressive.

Tidying my work backpack I had my PSP tucked away when killing some time on quiet days, mad to see how far we've come!

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. Watched some videos on chiaki and chiaki4deck but hit a stumbling block when trying to register the console - psn.flipscreen.games wasn't finding my ID so couldn't get the base64 version of it. Followed a link from an ETA Prime video and got it from that. Not able to change the bitrate or audio buffer size (not sure if that's because I'm connecting to a PS4 Pro rather than PS5) and it was quite glitchy at 1080p - switched to 720p and working much better now. Clever little app that!

Also added some nice artwork for chiaki4deck using that steamgriddb add-on - looks nice and pretty now. 😀

I've had it work great at 1080p but recently it's been glitchy enough so dropped to 720 too and it still looks good on the small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Bought a dock recently for my team deck and have been well impressed with the TV experience, bodes well for Big Picture mode in the future. I know TV gaming with a PC will never be perfect but its light years better than when I used to try and hook up my own laptop with the old BPM to my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I’m jumping into this on a bit of a whim. Hadn’t really given getting one much thought but then had a few videos about it pop up on YouTube that got me interested.

Ordered yesterday and got a dispatch mail today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Going to pull the trigger on this. A needless purchase for FM23 and FIFA 🤣

I assume best place to purchase is via Steam? Any tips and advice on someone probably impulse buying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steam is the only place to buy :)

Only advice really is probably to skip the cheapest model and avail of the ones with the fast NVME storage. Whatever way though you’ll probably need an SD card to get that precious extra space!

Yeah was going to go the middle one 256gb. Space wise I'm not sure I'd need more as I literally have only played FM/CM and FIFA for the last 30 years and more recently F1. Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just be aware FIFA (at least 23) is unverified and apparently not a great experience even if you jump through the various hoops to get it running via Windows.

You’ll have a much better and much easier time with F1 and Football Manager though!

If you're anyway tech savvy the 64GB model is better value for money. A 512GB A2 Class SD card isn't much slower at loading than the SSD, plus it's easy enough to swap the 64GB for a 1TB SSD as the Steam Deck is easy to open. Shader cache can fill the 64GB quick enough but it can be moved over to the SD card.

Of course if you don't want to bother with that, go for the 512GB model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

You’ll have to jump through a few hoops to get fifa going on it as far as I know. Possibly installing windows is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Upgraded my 64gb to a 1tb Western Digital SN740 NVME drive. Got it on Ali Express, worked out at €141 delivered but they've already come down about €15 since I bought it (27 Jan). Hopefully the 2230s will keep heading down in price and end up in line with the 2280s. Seems 100% legit to me and the difference coming from the sata drive is huge when in the OS/downloading games.

Easy to say after the fact but replacing the drive was easy. All the screws and the back came out with no fuss, the only thing was most guides recommend pulling on the battery cable to disconnect it but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. Space is a bit tight there and I felt I'd be pulling it up rather than out so just used my fingernails to lever it out. All in all about a 3 minute job from start to finish. Can't tell it's ever been opened now.

Re-imaging the software was a different story though and turned in to a bit of a faff. Had to hard power it down after it was stuck on the boot logo for about an hour, anxious few moments as I wasn't sure how easy these things could be bricked. Turns out I had a couple of problems -

• I was using a usb 2.0 thumb drive to transfer the image - I got no errors doing this but saw a few people saying they had the same problem so used a micro SD card through an adapter (though I think it might work in the deck slot as well) and that got me to the installation screen on the deck.
    • Then I got a problem with Steam failing to download an update during install and it wouldn't go any further. Quick google and others were saying you have to force it/your router to only connect over 2.4ghz to get past it. I'm sure I didn't have this problem when I first set it up. Never looked into how to fix it, not sure if it's through the deck or your router, as I have a dock so just unplugged the HDMI cable from that but kept the wired internet in. Worked then with no problem but probably a 3 hour process all in with a lot of nervous moments.

All up and running perfectly now, already have more games/programs installed than what I had with a maxed out 64gb and 200gb sd card. It's not really a necessary upgrade imo, the sd cards seem to work perfectly, mainly I just prefer having everything (shaders/launchers/games) on the same drive. Bit of a luxury really but fantastic it's so easily upgradeable.

Tbh it's mainly FM23. The other I have on PS5 anyway. It's probably mad buying this just for FM but no harm. I need to do some research on the windows/Linux os too and see if it's usable. Just one final thing. Is the only difference between the 256 and 512 versions just the space or is there any processer difference?

Thanks all for the advice. Very much appreciated

The only difference between the 256GB and 512 beyond storage space is that the 512 has a different, anti-glare screen finish and comes with a slightly different carrying case. Otherwise, all three models are identical hardware-wise - all have the same specs and internals.

It's mad but you deserve it 😀

All models are the same, bar the hard drive and the top spec has the anti-glare screen. I stuck a €20 screen protector on mine that has antiglare and a 512GB SD card that I got on Amazon for under €40.

If you buy FIFA on Steam it installs EA App and runs without much fuss. I've not played much, but it did run. You can also stream from your PS5 and play anything you have running on the console that way on the deck. So if at home just go that route since you own it already.

For FM, make sure you read up on changing the controller settings. You can basically configure the buttons and pads to do anything you want. Mouse clicks, keyboard buttons etc. Very handy.

Yeah it's the first thing I did regarding FM. It's what made my mind up.

For some reason I thought the hardware was different on the 64 and the 256. That's a game changer now that it's the same. I dont really need to budge over the 64gb so in reality. Yeah I spent a good bit on a powerful laptop just for FM. Ridiculous in most people's eyes I know 🤣

Thanks again all for the advice.

• Advertisement

I'd get the 256gb over the 64gb as it has a slightly faster hard drive but mainly because the Steam OS and shader caches fill up very fast. The middle one is the best bang for buck. The top of the range is a bit too much for what you get extra.

Ok yeah good point. Yeah will pull trigger on this tonight. I assume I'll get done for customs too or is it shipped from EU?

Comes from Holland so no customs and takes roughly a week to get here.

In the off chance you wanna try something like Hogwarts Legacy, 64gb won't fit the game

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

Don't need to change the controller settings now, the official fm layout works great now

My deck mate arrived. I haven't spent much time setting it up. But from first look It's nice and handy and decent quality.

Put on the big clip and kick stand and that would be great if traveling.

The only downside is that you can't have the big clip on and have it sit in the official dock. So you would have to pop it off. But they do give you the option of a smaller piece you can essentially glue to the back of the deck in place of the big clip so all the attachments work and then it fits in the dock.

I just want to take my time sticking it on as it's got to be lined up so didn't want to rush it.

Could I not save that on a high end 256gb SD card like SanDisk Extreme?

I was thinking of investing in a decent SD and loading windows on it too.

Yeah, and SD cards pop in and out easily so you can have a few. I've 2 with games on them and ice a third with windows on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Mine arrived yesterday. I only got about an hour with it but so far so good. I’ve added gamepass and a couple of free to play games to try it out initially and will look at emudeck and everything else when I have a bit more time to familiarise myself with it.

• Advertisement

No issue with bigger games on the SD card, just make sure it's A2 class as that's faster than A1.

Shader cache can fill up on the 64GB internal memory but apparently that's only an issue if you have a lot of games installed at once, it can also be moved to the SD card to free up space.

Advertisement