Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new National Development Plan 2021-2030

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There's no reason why not, Metrolink RO will be granted this year. Pre construction surveys are starting in the next few weeks. A detailed design consultant is working on the advanced works which are to commence in 2024. So we could still see main contractors on site in late 2025.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

With the recent record of ABP, there's not a hope that the railway order will be granted this year. The Limerick Foynes road scheme took 2 years and 9 months to get through ABP. They're still understaffed and are about to be completely reorganised.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N2 Rath Roundabout-Kilmoon Cross unfunded for 2023, despite it being included in the GDA Transport Strategy.

Eamon Ryan was boasting last week about reduced funding for National Roads projects so there may be more casualties yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

A lot of other things are also included in the GDA including PT and AT projects. If Eamon Ryan was boasting about anything it was increasing funding to the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Now that they announced the funding for regional and local roads, anyone know when the primary routes allocations might get published?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good question. The latest in the last 6/7 years they were published was January 5th.

Its an absolute clown show this year for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 40 neiljung

I think there eight Major Roads projects already on the books that didn't get funding last year and 2 of these got some crumbs after local TDs kicked up. Kilmoon wasn't one of those 8 so we could well be looking at a higher total this year. In the intial funding anncouncement at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There's renewed emphasis on rail projects. ABP have been pressured by government into prioritising dart and metrolink, even on front of bus connects. It'll be granted this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd love to be as optimistic as you, but I'm still very sceptical that it will get through before the end of 2024, never mind this year.

TII allocations out today. I will post a comprehensive update in this thread when they do come out (I haven't had a chance to post one in quite some time).

Given that there's been 6 weeks of delays I can only imagine the wrangling that has gone on in the Department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

IMO better than expected, but how much money (lots, or peppercorn) to the upcoming ones is the big question.

Funding for National Roads 

Funding has been allocated in 2023 to the following projects which are currently under or close to construction:

• N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom
    • N8/N40 Dunkettle Interchange
    • N59 Moycullen Bypass
    • N69 Listowel Bypass
    • N5 Westport to Turlough
    • N5 Ballaghaderreen to Scramoge
    • N56 Dungloe to Glenties

Funding has also been allocated in 2023 to the following projects which are at an earlier stage in the development process:

• M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy
    • N52 Ardee Bypass
    • N6 Galway City Ring Road 
    • N21/69 Limerick to Foynes (including Adare Bypass)
    • N/M20 Cork to Limerick
    • Donegal TEN-T Route Improvement
    • N3 Clonee to M50
    • N2 Rath Roundabout to Kilmoon Cross
    • N4 Maynooth to Leixlip 
    • N11/M11 Junction 4 to 14
    • Cork City Northern Transport Project
    • N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare
    • N22 Farranfore to Killarney
    • N3 Virginia Bypass
    • N4 Carrick on Shannon to Dromod
    • N21 Newcastle West Relief Road
    • N21 Abbeyfeale Relief Road
    • N72/73 Mallow Relief Road
    • N2 Slane Bypass
    • N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction (including Tipperary Bypass)
    • N58 Foxford Bypass
    • N25 Midleton to Youghal (Castlemartyr and Killeagh Bypasses)
    • N2 Ardee to Castleblayney
    • N17 Knock to Collooney
    • N4 Mullingar to Longford
    • N24 Waterford to Cahir
    • N2 Clontibret to the Border

Funding for Greenways

Funding has been allocated in 2023 to the following Greenway projects which are currently under or close to construction:

• Midleton to Youghal Greenway
    • Connemara - Clifden to Recess
    • Grand Canal - Aylmer Bridge to Sallins
    • North Kerry - Tralee to Fenit
    • North Kerry – Listowel to Limerick Border
    • South Kerry – Stages 2 & 3 – Glenbeigh to Cahersiveen
    • Cockleshell Road to the Spa
    • Clew Bay – Achill Sound & Extension to Bannacurry
    • Boyne Valley to Lakelands
    • Grand Canal – Offaly & Dublin 
    • Waterford Greenway
    • Athlone Bridge Cycleway
    • South Eastern Greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Limerick74

Local newspapers seem to have most of the actual allocations listed for each county. No details available on the TII or DoT websites yet.

As per @Limerick74 , no sign of the pdf yet. But I have to say, these are very good allocations from what I can make out so far. Very generous and much better than some of the recent media reporting.

4 of the unfunded projects in 2022 (N2 Clontibret-NI Border, N4 Mullingar-Rooskey, M11 J4-J14 upgrade and N24 Cahir-Waterford) have been funded again. This means all projects in the NDP bar N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton, N25 Waterford-Glenmore and N52 Tullamore-Kilbeggan are now funded again. There are additional non NDP projects also being funded (Castlemartyr/Killeagh, Foxford bypass, Cork North Ring Road)

The Cork allocations are seeing some very generous allocations (M28 is getting 19m, M20 is getting 5m, Castlemartyr/Killeagh getting 800k).

Very good news so far. I look forward to seeing the allocations for other counties. If they're like Cork's it'll be a very positive year.

TII major projects allocation 2023:

Project priority order:

1. Projects already committed to construction

2. Projects with planning approval

3. Projects at planning approval stage (all currently subject to judicial review)

4. Priority projects

5. TEN-T/regional access

6. Projects in planning in GDA/CMATS transport strategies

7. Port connectivity

8. Bypasses

9. Upgrades

1. Projects committed to construction

N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge - €‎12m (tender return Feb 24th 2023)

N5 Westport-Turlough - €‎39m (construction/supervision/land - includes provision for claims rasied by contractor)

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interhcange - €‎41.5m (supervision staff/construction/land)

N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom - €‎39m (construction/supervision/land payments)

N56 Dungloe-Glenties (land) - €‎0.14m

N56 Dungloe-Glenties (construction costs) - €‎5.63m

N59 Moycullen bypass - €‎25m (construction/land/supervision)

N69 Listowel bypass - €‎22m (construction/supervision/land)

2. Projects with planning approval

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy - €‎19m (progression of advance works and tender document preperation)

3. In planning process (all schemes subject to judicial review) 

M6 Galway City Ring Road - €‎3m (land payments and costs associated with the ABP decision)

M21 Foynes-Limerick - €‎2m (legal costs)

N52 Ardee bypass - €‎0.35m (legal costs)

4. Priority projects

M20 Cork-Limerick - €‎5m (payment of technical advisors for planning and design)

5. TEN-T/regional access/port access

Donegal TEN-T (N13/N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass, N14 Letterkenny-Lifford, N13/N56 Letterkenny Area improvements) - €‎1.5m (committed funding to technical advisors)

6. GDA/CMATS priority projects

N2 Rath Roundabout-Kilmoon Cross - €‎0.75m (current project commitments)

N3 Clonee-M50 - €‎0.5m (current project commitments - then reviewed for bus and cycle ways)

N4 Maynooth-Leixlip - €‎0 (funded as part of minors budget for P&R - ministerial wishes for bus priority on M4)

M11/N11 J4-J14 - €‎0 - (funded as part of minors budget for P&R - minister wants prioritisation afforded to bus prioroity on M11)

N40 Cork Northern Ring Road - €‎0.1m (current project commitments)

7. Port connectivity

N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare harbour - €‎1.15m (funding provided to match TEN-T grant from EU for planning and design)

8. Bypasses

N2 Slane bypass - €‎0.35m (funding allows further progression)

N3 Virginia bypass - €‎2m (prioritised under Ministerial direction)

N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod - €‎2.5m (prioritised under Ministerial direction)‎

N21 Abbbeyfeale bypass - €‎1.45m (prioritised under Ministerial direction)

N21 Newcastlewest bypass - €‎1.45m (prioritised under Ministerial direction)

N22 Farranfore-Killarney (safety project + bypass of Farranfore) - €0.1m (current project commitments)

N25 Midleton-Youghal - €0.8m (further progression)

N58 Foxford bypass - €0.25m (further progression)

N72/N73 Mallow relief road - €0.1m (funding meets current project commitments)

9. Other upgrades

N2 Ardee-South of Castleblayney - €0.6m (funding will meet current project commitments)

N2 Clontibret-NI border - €2.5m - (funding provided to match TEN-T grant from EU for planning and design)

N4 Mullingar-Longford - €0.2m - (funding will meet current project commitments

N17 Knock-Collooney - €0.4m (funding will meet current project commitments)

N24 Waterford-Cahir - €2m (funding to complete route selection)

Funding also provided of €100k for an N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton minor scheme.

Source in the link above. Interesting reading on justification for projects for the environmentalists along us, detail on what's prioritised. The amount of references to Ministerial direction should put to bed any idea that TII are being left to their own accord here.

Oh completely, he's interfering a lot. But this list is, to be honest, far better than I'd ever have hoped. Now whether some roads will be watered down, maybe, but its still the best we can hope for at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cartoncowboy

I'd find it bizarre if a Minister of Transport was not involved in the decision making process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yeah, can we give it a rest with the “interfering” crack? If a project is listed as minister’s intervention it means that the Minister has overruled TII’s recommendation not to prioritise it.

If anyone thinks the current minister is blocking projects, a good way to say so would be to name a specific project is being held back. Look, even the N6 Galway Ring Road is getting funding, and not only is that something the Green Party oppose, it’s also had its planning revoked - if there was ever an easy project to starve on ideological grounds, there it would be...

Reading between the lines of the allocations document, it seems the roads programme is looking something like this:

--> Completed before 2025

N5 Westport-Turlough

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange

N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney

N56 Dungloe-Glenties (not certain on section south of Glenties)

N59 Moycullen bypass

N69 Listowel bypass

--> Starts before 2025

N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge

--> 2026-2030 starts

N3 Virginia bypass

N4 Carrick on Shannon-Dromod

M6 Galway City Ring Road

N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour

N13/N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass

N13/N56 Letterkenny Area Improvement (incl. Relief Road + DC upgrade)

N14 Letterkenny-Lifford

M20 Cork-Limerick

M21 Foynes-Limerick

N21 Abbeyfeale bypass

N21 Newcastlewest bypass

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy

N52 Ardee bypass

--> Potential 2026-2030 starts

N2 Slane bypass

N22 Farranfore-Killarney

N25 Midleton-Youghal

N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction

N58 Foxford bypass

--> Post 2030 projects in planning

N2 Ardee-Castleblayney

N2 Clontibret-Border

N2 Rath Roundabout-Kilmoon Cross

N3 Clonee-M50

M4 Maynooth-Leixlip

N4 Mullingar-Longford

M11 upgrade (J4-J14)

N17 Knock-Collooney

N24 Waterford-Cahir

N40 Cork North Ring Road

--> Will progress in phases as funding allows

N56 Dungloe-Glenties (2.6km remaining)

N59 Oughterard-Maam Cross (10km remaining)

N59 Westport-Mulranny (14km remaining)

N86 Tralee-Dingle (24km remaining)

€‎145m is allocated for new roads projects in 2024 (an absolute pisstake if you ask me), that's between construction costs, land costs and everything else for all the above projects.

The M28 will be ready to start in 2024 and possibly the Ardee bypass this side of 2025 depending on how the legal issues currently ongoing with it progress. There are no other projects within 3 years of starting construction (funding issues aside). The M21 could start in 2026 if the judicial reviews are addressed expeditiously but I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

M6 start from 2026 to 2030? That doesn't sound realistic to me Marno? And is M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy not "Start before 2025"?

M6 is currently programmed to start when the legal wrangling has been addressed. It, and the M20, have been specifically carved out in the Roads programme to keep them from Green interference.

M28 can start in 2024, but funding of 145m in 2024 won't allow it to start until the increased funding envelope commences in 2026 (not set in stone either I might add). This is entirely a Government decision to not provide sufficient funding to commence it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That's bizarre to me: the M6 Galway Ring Road is anything but a sure thing, as they have so much to do to from a political perspective to get it over the line, whereas the M28 legal battles are all (finally) done! If I had to guess which of these two would be "ready to build" and which would be "delayed" I know which I'd bet on!

In that regard, I don't think they're equals in anything but arbitrary time categories. Despite what I posted, I would happily put money on the M28 being open to traffic before the M6.

I can't understand why the M28 isn't being started immediately for economic reasons above anything else. It not being built is holding up so much in Cork, least of all Docklands developments that have environmental benefits beyond anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think there is too much in planning right now for projects which aren't intended for delivery for a long time. There are several projects which could be defunded now, picked up again in a couple of years and wont have been delayed at all. There is a lot listed under 2026-2030 starts and it is very optimistic to think all of that is going to be funded for construction in such a short window, could be €4bn. Some is almost certainly going to fall over into the post-2030 period and eat up funding for those already in post-2030.

Just look at how much money in going to what Marno has listed as post-2030 delivery projects this year;

N2 Ardee-Castleblayney - €600,000

N2 Clontibret-Border - €2,500,000

N2 Rath Roundabout-Kilmoon Cross - €750,000

N3 Clonee-M50 - €500,000

M4 Maynooth-Leixlip

N4 Mullingar-Longford - €200,000

M11 upgrade (J4-J14)

N17 Knock-Collooney - €400,000

N24 Waterford-Cahir - €2,000,000

N40 Cork North Ring Road - €100,000

That's a lot of money for projects which aren't even intended to start this decade. Do we need to be spending that to bring these projects to a stage where they can sit on the shelf for another couple of years before their turn for construction? There is €4m there which could be put to more productive use this year and presumably their funding requirements will increase for each of the next couple of years. Now N2 Clontibret-Border is to match TEN-T grant which is fair enough and the Cork NRR is only small beer but the others are significant money with no intention of delivering for 6 or 7 years.

Of what Marno has listed as potential 2026-2030 starts, I think the following could be pushed out by a year or two with no impact on eventual delivery;

N25 Midleton-Youghal - €800,000

N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction - €1,000,000

€3,000,000 for the Galway Bypass is ridiculous while it is all up in the air, only already committed to expenses should be going towards it. If all of the above gets similar or increased funding next year, they could be getting €10m out of a total of €145 for the year. If you had that money, plus the funds freed up from big projects completing this year, there might actually be money available to push the button on something like the M28 next year.

M28 is, to the layperson, started. But there are two reasons why it couldnt start construction -

1) I don't think you could sort tenders until after the judicial reviews

2) IIRC they didn't want M28 AND Dunkettle construction at the same time.

They could tender the M28 pretty soon and start once enabling works are finished, if there was funding available.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Limerick74

I assumed the judicial reviews are dealt with on the M28 and should not delay the procurement of main contractor?

M28 tender documents are being prepared, at the moment all the pre-work is being done - tree felling, archaeology, route prep with ESB, stuff like that. Thats what I mean when I say that it has started to the layperson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Up to 150 National Development Plan projects could be accelerated – The Irish Times

Recent announcement by Paschal Donohoe that approval process for projects under €200M would be "simplified". The article linked above focuses on healthcare projects, but on a follow-up radio interview, Donohoe clarified that health and transport would be the biggest beneficiaries of the changes.

There have been a couple of recent road projects that were reduced in scope in order to avoid the more complex approvals process for more expensive schemes, so there could be some benefits from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I thought M28 was 'starting' next year, as the Dunkettle is about to finish up. They best get a move on with those tender docs.

Paschal seems much more proactive than MMcG. Hopefully the quarterly memo to Government with an update on NDP delivery will put a bit of pressure on the civil servants to have progress to show and keep it at the forefront of the politicians minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I am not sure if this in the correct place to put this but the UK are halting smart motorways. With the M50 just upgraded could TII end up doing the same as the UK

Advertisement