Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Of course I am blanch. I told you im in construction, its very common. The government reckon its fine to stop paying you're rent and they hold onto your property . Think tenants should have more rights than the landlord. Take fifty percent of the rent... I could go on...

The government decided to create a crisis. Didn't retain workers here during the last bust. Stopped building social housing. Gave away property via nama and then buy property back at extortionate levels years later. They decide we have no effective propery taxes, lpt at .18% is a window dressing optivsl farce, political hot potato. Other countries have property taxes to encourage or discourage practices. Here's irelands tax regime , get a fortune in from a handful of multinationals and crucify mid to high income earners. By mid income, im referring to minimum 80k a year. Absolute minimum

Bang on. The poor irish who barely survive pay for this... there are hundreds of thousands working here, existing. Thats my entire point. Who would actually stick around here if you are the one disproportionately funding this BS!

They thought I was left wing in the states. You need to realise with the " progressive" wealth distribution here, you're living standards are taking a hit, so others have it easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If your parents have multiple properties and you have an issue with buying a house, do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Higher earners here get massacred. He has that right !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

People who complain about Ireland's weather have never lived in a country where the weather really is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Higher pay there but the Aussie dollar is 0.64 to the euro. Which doesn't matter so much if you intend to stay there but it stings if you want to return to Ireland, some day which a lot of people seem to.

I'm on an immigrants FB group though and it seems a lot who return from Australia end up going back there again. Much more so than those who move back from the US, Canada, UK etc. There is a strange thing about those returning from Australia, imo, more than others they just never shut the f*ck up about Australia. It must be hard to settle back when your whole identity and personality revolves around the place you just moved from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Our tax rates are relatively comparable to most western European countries. Ireland is in the top 10 countries in the world in most performance indexes and reaches the heady heights of top 5 in some.

Irelands weather can be fairly grey in large patches from November to February..but alot of countries are like this and much worse. Ireland has silly land and house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Catastrophic weather events is not the only definition of "bad" weather and its pretty clear what people mean when they call Ireland's weather bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rustyman101

We seem to have gone so far down the "we have accommodate the world " that the dopes that pay for it have been forgotten.

I can't believe there isn't some agenda behind all this they seriously can't be this stupid? Can they ???

Next election will be interesting, if a right leaning party is formed it will mop up a lot of votes.

Anyone I've spoken are sick of the current shiteshow.

I understand the need for immigration and have no issues with some genuinely seeking refugee or coming to work here but lost passport and social welfare tourists should be put on spike island and deported ASAP.

Country seems to be run by NGOs these days.

This isn't going to end well for anyone except maybe the NGOs......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not talking about catastrophic weather. I'm simply saying weather like a New York winter. Or a winter in a lot of places in Russia. Some people think winter here is "bad", but they haven't a clue. Contrast that with some countries where it gets so hot in summer time, that you can't enjoy being outdoors.

We have it pretty good here. Our summers are generally nice and our winters are really just limited to a couple of months every year and they're never that rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Speaking of our brilliant climate you could take it one step beyond and head to NZ. So close; yet so far away remarkable really and a place that keeps it humble hasn’t lost its sense (of) scale nor place in the world. Geography permitting but the perfect escape whilst I reconsider Newfoundland…

I think Irish summers are completely rubbish and clearly inferior to pretty much the entirety of the continent outside of arguing Spain and southern Italy get too warm.

I would prefer a winter that gets colder but is less humid. A greater delineation between seasons would be warmly welcomed by many.

Irish weather is miserable - it is a consistent greyish, damp mess. It could be worse in certain scenarios obviously, but I vehemently disagree that we have it "pretty good".

Of course, it is perfectly reasonable for others to disagree. Its a pretty subjective viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭NSAman

That is, in my opinion, other people's perception of you.

I am not in Australia but when I go home, people associate me as non-Irish anymore. I don't have a foreign accent, I don't sing the praises of where I live now. Have I changed? Absolutely!

I no longer see things as I cannot do them. I no longer see things as poor service and poor value for money as something to be accepted. I stand up for myself more. Some say that is a trait of the country I live in, fair enough. Should I just accept this (as many Irish people do in Ireland) or call it out?

Every emigrant wants to return to their home. I don't care if you are young or old, home is home and home sickness is always something you have to deal with.

I pay my tax, I get services for that tax, I can see where that is going. Do I agree with how it is spent? Nope not always. However, in Ireland you do not really get a say in how your tax is spent. It is that big pool of public tax that seems to be a never ending dipping pool for politicians to grab cash for everything. No accountability what-so-ever.

The main problem that I see, is that Ireland just has no way of changing it's course. Politicians are elected on being Mr. Nice Guy. Policies don't matter. Intellect certainly doesn't matter and ability to do the job doesn't matter. Worst of all, Irish people do not matter. Once in, the gravy train continues until they need your vote again. Same in many countries.

Everyone knows what the issues with Ireland are, but who is tackling those issues?

Health Service ... back off or those interested parties will close it down, just throw more money at a completely failed system for the staff and the patients.

Housing.. let the private sector deal with it, its cheaper and we (the government) can just dictate to landlords.

Planning... don't tell me that political influence still is not part of it.

Government Projects.. does anyone know how to plan? (see above)

and on and on it goes.......

Irish politicians are exactly as accountable as politicians in any democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

You say this as if politicians everywhere don't engage in such banal platitudes.

You have as much say in where tax money goes in Ireland as anywhere else. You have as much ability to oust people from office as anywhere else.

There is nothing uniquely bad about Ireland's political landscape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

"My parents leave one of their properties in dublin vacant, before they will lose 50% of the income and hand somebody more rights to the place, than they'll have... I know other people doing the same"

Explain that one to me. If your parents have a house and leave it vacant, they get zero income from it. (They don't seem to want to rent/sell/give it to you either for some reason but we'll leave that for the moment)

If they rent it to somebody (shouldn't be hard in this climate) they will get income on it but they will be liable to tax on that income and "WAAH. THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!" And yet somehow you want sympathy?

I accept there is a risk that you might get in a scumbag tenant who will just refuse to pay the rent and that it can be hard to get such people out and that is a risk of doing business in this country for which I have some sympathy but a fairly recent tenant who digs in their heels and says "Not paying ya!" will be relatively easy to get out. A long term tenant doing the same could be a problem.

And 50% tax? Really?

I think its safe to assume people with the option of letting out properties, will be paying the marginal rate...

The government are considering lowering tax from rental income for a reason...

Eh them all being left wing and singing from same hymn sheet, is probably unique to Ireland...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

All the politicians in Ireland are left wing?

That’s some level of absolute horsesh*t you’re chatting there.

Prove me wrong ! Losing half your pay over pittance? Check. Free housing, medical cards etc. Check.... worldclass social welfare for many, multiple bonuses? Check. You've no clue about what they would get in other countries, starting with our nearest neighbour....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Again the usual talking points trotted out about those on social welfare (including those who have no option but to go on it). Shame on you.

Only around 1000 homes to rent because the government, during the crash, decided not to build any houses.

Two Junior ministers sacked in recent weeks because of declarations failures (hiding their properties).

A vastly under-resourced health and education service leading to shortages in the likes of CAMHS and schools in Dublin.

Grossly underfunded infrastructure despite the obvious benefits of a fully operational public transport system instead of the half-arsed crap we have now.

You telling me that’s down to the lefties? It’s absolute bollocks. It’s the usual nonsense thrown out by conservatives because they need to blame someone other than the centre-right party that’s been in charge for the last 12 years.

There was something in this thread about ‘punching down’ and you’re blaming all of the problems on those who need the public services that government after government have spectacularly failed to deliver time and time again.

It is governments who are failing the people in this country, not the immigrants or those on social welfare. The government would be delighted to know that you’re trying to deflect attention away from decades of failure, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

NZ is a fantastic country but it's not perfect:

1. They have to import a lot of their goods from quite far away so the cost of living is high.
    2. At the same time the wages are considerably lower than in Australia - which is who they usually compare themselves to
    3. There's been a large housing crisis there for a lot longer than here and housing was selling for even higher multiples of salary than here
    4. Going on holidays to any other country is a bit a mission since everywhere else is so far away (even the east coast of Australia is a 3 hour flight) and getting back here is 30+ hours and up to 4 flights
    5. The weather varies since it's such a long country but in many places it's no better than Ireland and the far north now seems to be getting hit with extreme weather events
    6. For some bizarre reason a lot of the houses don't have any central heating, despite it getting properly cold in winter in many parts of the country
    7. There's a persistent criminal issue with both motorcycle gangs and meth (which they call "P" for some reason). It's not something that affects most people but it's bubbling away in the background.

Just thinking now, quite a few of the above apply to Hawaii as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Your last sentence is Probably the difference between us leaving here for oz or the us and economic migrants coming here then isn’t it? Do you hear people complaining about the migrants coming here to work in the tech industry for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Not sure what that has to do with the op being sick of the country.

Advertisement