Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I was talking to a tullogher man who said glennon will be under pressure to get back for the u20 which is a shame. A really good prospect. I seen Lyng last year and he looks to be the real dea. I know he was poor in the u19 final against ttown but he's a god big strong player.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Tipp paid a heavy price for Sundays victory.

paddy Cadell cruciate, out for the rest of the year.

Cathal Barrett shoulder, out for three months.

Niall O Meara, out for six weeks, groin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Three good players too.

No take up on your request for a starting 15 for last Sunday from some "experts" on here! Seems like it's easy to drop players but not so easy find replacements!

Think you might have called their bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shocks12

I picked a solid 15 there on the previous page. You have a serious problem with people saying players aren’t good enough.

I was able to pick a team without Buckely Deegan and Fogarty. Nothing against any of them personally. I actually feel sorry for Buckley and Fogarty there pace went downhill prob due to injuries etc. They are unreal trainers and in the best of shape but they haven’t been up to it for a while now.

As for Deegan great heart and all that but he is slow and proved this a few times. Worth his place on the panel but not as a starter.

I think you're picking me up wrong. I was following up on Marrooned's post where he asked for a starting 15 for LAST Sunday. There were a couple of posters who didn't want a number of players on the day but never said who they did want instead. Marrooned ask for their starting 15 based on what players were available,last Sunday.

Now, moving forward, I agree entirely with the rest of your post.

I hope that clarifies my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Seen Lyng play once at centre back in Kilkenny Wexford in minor last year, he was the best player on the pitch that day.

Good Counsel beat them by 10 in a group game in November so was quiet a turnaround even allowing for injuries.

Not necessarily true, Dublin beat Wexford last year and didn't qualify, in 2019 Galway beat Kilkenny and drew with Wexford and got knocked out, that been said I'd be surprised if Kilkenny didn't make top 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Eoin Murphy

M Butler H Lawlor T Walsh

P Mullen P Walsh D Blanchfield

A Mullen J Donnelly

E Cody TJ Reid B Ryan

B Drennan M Keoghan C Kenny (Out the field picking up possession, or slot in 11 and TJ bring his man marker out the pitch creating space)

Unlucky:

Walter Walsh

Richie Reid

Darragh Corcoran

Richie Hogan (last 20 mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

That's actually making my point for me. It would require unexpected results. Dublin beat Wexford but Wexford then beat Kilkenny.

I was tempted to develop the point a bit more at the time but I didn't. But to do that I would say that the likelihood is that Wexford or Dublin will drop points somewhere along the way. Galway as they showed last year against Wexford, and losing to Dublin a few years ago are capable of dropping too. In reality Kilkenny would need to absolutely tank and probably lose the three competitive games to not qualify.

They lost two matches last year and still finished second so in my view would need to lose a third to not qualify. They'll also beat the weaker teams well so will have strong points difference whereas Wexford or Dublin often struggle in those games to win big. Kilkenny are far more likely to finish top than to not qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

T Walsh injured couldn't have played last Sunday

Most Ballyhale lads are being given a big rest or have niggles so no P Mullen, A Mullen out for another month or more, E Cody and TJ being rested. So all you have to do is find 5 lads who were available last Sunday. If you really wanted you could probably include P Mullen and E Cody but I don't think any manager would play Tommy or Adrian injured or TJ for a league game in Feb after such a long campaign and miles on the clock.

Precisely, find five that would have been available LAST Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Will there be any bite in the game on Sunday or will it be a tame enough affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I can't see any schemozzles if that's what you mean. There will be a big crowd so it should be entertaining and there will be few on both sides out to show they deserve the Jersey.

They've changed the rules in Leinster this year on points difference, if 3 or more teams finish level on points the points difference will only be calculated in games involving those teams playing each other, wouldn't have effected last year as Kilkenny hammered Dublin, Kilkenny were lucky in a way to make the Leinster final last year as Wexford slipping up against Westmeath sckewed the table in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Had KK to sacrifice any player last year. Limerick had to let Cathal ONeill off, Cork had Ciaran Joyce away and I think Galwy had three players off.

Back in ,1897 a Limerick team called Kilfinane brought a thing called hook and block to an AIF. People said twould ruin the game. Every thing changes. I am 73 years and some of the games last year including the AIF were as good as ever I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'm not trying to be argumentative but what rules out Kilkenny not qualifying is precisely the susceptibility of Wexford and others to results like that which skew things. Kilkenny might lose to Galway (in the round robin........ not the final) or Wexford but will never get roped into a dog fight with Laois/Westmeath type teams.

Don't think so, players who were effected to the best of my memory.

Cork- Ciaran Joyce, Galway Tiernan Kileen and Gavin Lee, Limerick Cathal O'Neill, Waterford Cartach Daly, Wexford Oisin Pepper. I'd say Clare would have lost Shane Meehan if they went far in u20 competition.

I actually think we're having an argument as we both said we'd be surprised if Kilkenny didn't finish in the top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I kind of agree, it's easy on the eye for sure. But the spectacles we are seeing are in part due to players being allowed break the rules.

If we want to see more of the same, then amend the rules to allow throwing of the sliotar, hurley size as small as you like and bas as big as you like, allow 8 steps with ball in hand to allow a player to simply run around an opposing player, continue to allow keepers steal 3-4 metres on every puck out etc

As it is, I think average players with savage S&C are being made look like superstars.

Kilkenny should have no problem with the size of a hurley. After all Noel Skehan was playing in goal for ye fifty years ago with a hurley with a bas on it the size of a large frying Pan. No complaints, but of course KK were winning All round them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Just curious when did Limerick decide to drop the handpass in favour of a throw?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

And when did Kk observe the ruie that you never drop the hurley and than handpsss the ball as TJ did in the Final last and KK got a goal out of it. KK got three goals in the 05=League and that foul was committed to each of them. KK like Limerick and the throwing knew they would get away it. Fine on both sides by me it is only a game. I saw that very fair and honest man DJ Carey run ,9 steps with the ball and bury it Croke Park v Wexford It was fine he got away with it although Mrs Greasy Paw was furious, but she is Wecfordian and couldn't see the funny side of it

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

A discussion on hurl size rules brings out young anti kilkenny bias sad little man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭robwen

Just to be clear, an observance of the rules and correct implentation of them would apply equally to all teams.

If I have touched a nerve with this, that would suggest you fear a correct implementation of the rules would affect Limerick more than other teams. I dont know if that would be the case, but your bristling and whataboutery certainly seems to suggets you fear it would.

So if Skehan's bas was the size of a large frying pan, what does that make Quaid's bas, which is demonstrably bigger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

I`d say if Mrs Greasy Paw doesn`t have that dinner in front of you on time tonight she will be still hearing about it 10 years from now.

Advertisement