Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"GAA star in alleged scam" Mod Note on page 1 and 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Gambling you would have to assume now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Reminds me of this nut case:

Belle Gibson - Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

As the saying goes

Better off owing 10 million than a 100k.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That is some write down in fairness, 99.37%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's unreal. Are we allowed say who the person is at the centre of this scandal? The dogs and cats on the street know who it is. You'd find the name in a 30 second Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

In a way, you could say that wasn't his first bailout/write down either. His first retirement, in his prime, in the 90s lasted just six weeks after a public outcry. He complained of falling out of love with the game and having a business to run. The GAA helped secure contracts for his business for him to go back to play. It was a form of pay for play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'GAA star ' is who is still mentioned on all the main media sites, therefore, no names still.

If its that easy to find his name - its hardly a chore not to mention him by name here in fairness.

Re the above story on RTE, I can only presume most folk wouldn't get that kind of a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In 2015, speaking on RTE’s Ray D'Arcy radio show, Mr Carey said: "I am not one of those who would say 'I don’t care’ about repaying debt".

"You borrow money, it should be paid back" he said, adding that "to whatever extent that can be, I would still be conscious it has to be done".

Very unusual for RTE to publish details of someone's private financial dealings unless there is fairly clear evidence of illegality or corruption.

But RTE aren't stating that there was any illegality involved.

They are simply saying what deal was done between DJ and AIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No, you will be severely punished. Justice kinda warped in this country.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know that, it's just very unusual for RTE or media to report on anyone's private financial dealings like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I'd say the RTE legal beagles have cleared that.

Mentioning Primetime and documents. Somethings up.

Himself and the missus had a chalet in Switzerland too. A 20,000 a night job. Don't know if that could be acquired by the court.

It could well be one of many headline stories that RTE will run over the weekned but the only one that they can atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Sickening, what is **** point of paying back your loans when the likes of < admin snip> don't have to bother paying back anything.

The taxpayers bail out AIB and still own 56.8% of it and yet they appear to act without an ounce of social responsibility , selling off small loans to companies who then hound people for the money while deciding to let <admin snip > off with paying nothing back.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Rte about to open the can of worms on him id say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's the difficulty about not mentioning his name ffs! As you say we all know who it is but it would be mad for any news outlet to publish his name before he is arrested and charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

As much as I think he's after **** up his sporting legacy i think it's the thing that could ultimately get him out of all this

A lot of documentarie makers out there who prey on this kind of stuff. Serial killers been glammed up ffs

He won't do any time. He won't have to pay back any money. And he'll be back on the reality TV circuit in time, earning money. Bertie is back in FF, baby.

I bet the 60k is still outstanding too.

And you wonder why we are crucified with intetest rates.

Parasite.

• And Sean Quinn to thank for increased insurance premium. Another 'legend'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I would have said its in the public interest. After all AIB was bailed out and owned with taxpayer money. If the taxpayer gave him a personal bailout of 9.4million then the public have a right to know.

That aside you would wonder what strings were pulled for him that he got a 99.6% write down on his debts, its astonishing and we all paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It says in the article : “….mostly arising from a €7.85m loan to Mr Carey that was secured on properties at Mount Juliet in Kilkenny and the K Club in Kildare.”

if it was secured on properties (plural!) then surely the sale of those would raise more then €60k ??

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

That's a pretty stunning write down that <admin snip> got on his debt to AIB. Whoever approved that write down needs to be held accountable. That is truly scandalous. How in god's name did he accrue debts to that level. The RTE article doesn't give an indication of illegality but morally it's repugnant that someone can pay just 60k having owed 9.5m.

I loved <admin snip> for what he did on the pitch. An absolute genius but this is outrageous. He should have been declared bankrupt like any other mere mortal would be made to do. As we own the majority stake in the bank it is us the public who have picked up the tab for his 9.5m bill. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LeGrandeRecif

The €9.5m is just the nominal debt. AIB would have written that down themselves years ago- maybe to zero. In that case €60K wouldn't be too bad. Check out some of the write offs that are granted in personal insolvencies. One recent one at the High Court saw the write off exceed €12m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was the noughties where this was build up. Credit was easy to access.. Letters with loan approval were being send out every couple of months to ordinary people. If you were running a business money was easily accessed. Everything was about expansion, you have walked into the bank manager demanded another, 100k......250k...... or a million or more and threatened to go elsewhere if they did not stump up.

In some cases it as a complete smoke screen and it all went up in smoke with nothing to back it up.

Remember a lot of expansion was based on leased offices, building's machinery and vehicles

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I think the K Club properties were worth 2 million each at one point. But that would have halved I'd say after 2008.

This was reported in 2012:

At almost the same time, Newman was involved in a dispute with her ex-husband, Patrick O'Donohoe, over property, including the houses in Monkstown and the K Club. Although the couple have been separated since 2000, O'Donohoe was a co-director of Needahotel.com, and a year after the company was sold, the High Court ordered Newman to pay over €2.1m to her ex-husband. Some years later, with an amount rumoured to be more than €1m still outstanding, O'Donohoe registered charges over the house on Alma Road and the K Club properties. Sarah Newman says that all financial issues between the pair have now been resolved.

But it goes on to say that Carey was still staying at the K-Club after the split. Was that the ex-husband's place? :

The couple announced to their circle of friends -- by text message apparently -- just over a week ago, that the relationship was over. She is currently staying in England with her mother, while <admin snip> is apparently living at one of the K Club houses.

By the time judgments were made against them both in the Commercial Court last year -- for more than €9m each in favour of AIB Mortgage Bank -- the couple must have been frantically paddling for quite some time, trying desperately to keep their finances stable, even as his cleaning product company went into liquidation, and their property empire plummeted in value along with the rest of the country. The AIB debts related to cross-guarantees each gave in respect of the other's liabilities, specifically mortgage loans of €7.85m and €1.5m, dating back to 2007, which allowed them to refinance existing debt and release equity on properties jointly owned.

The cross-guarantees were slightly unusual transactions, but then, theirs was a deeply entwined relationship, in which each was involved with the other's businesses and finances. Rather than two lives running separate and parallel, they chose to confront the world as a unit. And even though they were an initially unlikely couple -- she a blonde, shiny Essex-girl-made-good, gregarious and a relentless net-worker, he a sporting legend and hero to men throughout the country, but personally shy and modest -- together, they were a convincing double act.

As well as the K Club properties, the couple bought a house at Mount Juliet, and a large beautifully renovated Georgian redbrick on Alma Road in Monkstown, where they mostly lived, with Newman's children. And then there was Chalet Grace, in a chic ski resort in Zermatt, Switzerland. Named for Newman's daughter, Chalet Grace was a true Celtic Tiger folly, with double-height floor-to-ceiling windows on all three levels, five double bedrooms, a dining room seating 14, a home cinema, a games room with pool table, and a 'Wellness' centre including a sauna, shower room, massage room, Pilates/yoga space, outdoor hot tub and shower. The chalet was finished in 2010, and on the market barely a year later, for €12.1m. It finally sold last year, which undoubtedly eased the financial strain considerably. However, that wasn't enough to turn back time on the stress of recent years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement