Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x01- 'The Next Generation' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

So far, so very good….

*SO FAR* (Glares angrily in Kurtzman’s direction) This has a load of promise (just like Season 2’s start), but don’t f*ck it all up! (like Season 2).

I enjoyed that first episode, good hour of Trek. I’m pleased to see that the fodder they added to the trailer was all taken out of context and that the actual scenes were good. Like the dinner scene on the Titan. That Captain is a total bastard, and find myself hoping that Seven will get an excuse to deck him at some point. The dinner scene was well done, and the Titan’s captain is an interesting antagonist of sorts. I’m thinking something Borg-related happened to him or someone he cared about. Possibly a Wolf-359 survivor.

It was a bit slow overall, and the Raffi stuff was a bit of a drag, but otherwise OK. I do kinda like Titan-A, and although the interiors are way too dark, at least they’re not polished all over the place.

I do however wish they’d tone down the pew pew new-Trek phasers. They just seem silly and make it harder to follow the scenes. Otherwise though, the camera work is missing all of the bad habits of Discovery and is nice to look at.

If we can get to Episode 4 or 5 without them jumping off a quality cliff, I’m going to be hopeful.

I think that might be Raffi’s grand-kid. Her son had gotten together with a Romulan girl and I think we see her pregant there in S1. However she appeared to be astranged to her son at the time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks for tip -the ship at the end, is it Romulen, borg? Are we meant to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Is there really a need to spoiler things in the episode thread?

That was actually kind of good, imagine if this was how season one started? Picard knowing Seven aside. The CGI was a but ropey but things kind of made sense but that could all disappear in a few episodes. Having the old crew as guest stars should mean they won't have to tread water so they get screen time every episode.

Garret gets to be the hero of Narendra III and hence the Red Lady because no one outside of the Romulan Empire, and possibly Guinan, knows she was dead at the time and Callisto and Yar were responsible for the outcome of the battle.

EDIT: I have just seen elsewhere they still don't know what a refit is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry wasn’t sure and didn’t want to ruin anything if we had to spoiler

• Advertisement

The Federation is the California of the Alpha Quadrant. Civilians can own "military style assault weapons" (nonsense term by the way) but they have to be modified in ridiculous ways to make them annoying to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

I will spoiler too as well, because it was cliffhanger and we will probably find out more next episode.

The ship starts wobbling as a massive pointy ship (unfortunately very much resembling Nero’s ship from Star Trek ’09) emerges out of the nebula, https://www.highonfilms.com/star-trek-picard-season-3-episode-1-recap-ending-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How long will they drag out the mystery of where the son got his accent from?

He looks a little old to be 20. Hologram?

EDIT: I looked him up, the actor is 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Downton Abbey and Outlander.

In case wondering where seen before.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I enjoyed it overall but I do have to agree that the external space shots looked like something touched up from Lower Decks or Prodigy. (Still no California class ships lurking in the background)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Little breakdown of the ending credit sequence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was definitely thinking it looked like that ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not bad. Though similar quality to season 2 ep 1 and we know where that went.

Captain Shaw doesn't seem that believable. Can't see how someone with such piss poor people skills could make it into the captain's chair. Trying to do a Jellico without displaying the things that made Jellico indispensable as a captain despite some leadership skills being a bit off.

The writers of Picard seem to have no concept of how big space is. From Earth to edge of Federation space is months worth of travel even at warp 9.99. Not something you do while the captain is taking a nap.

That kid has to be Picard's son, he inherited his British accent.

I’m going to give Shaw a little benefit of the doubt here. He’s clearly anti-Borg, and I can’t help but wonder if having Seven on his bridge has soured him to the point of near begrudging anyone to do with her or the Borg generally. The prospect of having her on his bridge for the next 5-odd years might be giving him a permanent head ache.

His rank might also be down to his service history. I might guess good service during the Dominion War might have pushed him up to that rank, and with so many Captains lost to the conflict they might not have been so picky in the years after. Would be nice if we got a bit of the aftermath of the War, since I’m guessing it took years for the Federation to recover from what was a near defeat to the Dominion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m not seeing a problem with Shaw. It’s clear from his own words that he runs a tight ship and has his orders for a pre determined mission. That changes when a retired admiral and a semi retired captain show up. Worse, the admiral was at one time a Borg and attached to the collective and instrumental in s devastating attack on the federation. Disjointed didn’t like it trust Picard so I’m not surprised with Shaw here. To make matters worse the two new arrivals look to take the ship off mission for a sorties looking reason that you could also say looked shady and, worse still, his first officer is buddies with the pair and is pitching in to help smooth over the holes in their plan. I’m all this there has been no communication from Starfleet to expect any guests or be mediated for any decision from the planned mission. Even if there was a covert mission involved I’m sure the Titan would have been ordered to the edge of federation space to do the guys off. No need to tell Shaw exactly why he was transporting these guests.

he seems like a proper captain to me, albeit with some anti Borg bias which is entirely understandable. We don’t know what he’s like day to day on the titan and as it turns it, he was right to be dismissive of epicardium and Riker because his first officer then mutinies and takes them where they want to go anyway. Personally as a regular federation officer who has likely lost at least friends if not even family to the Borg, I think he’s spot on really.

Maybe not epicardium but if the tables were turned and Riker was captain dealing with s similar situation I wouldn’t see him acting much different and I’m certain Picard would have also arrived at the same Irvine though with not diplomacy.

let’s face it, shady characters showing up to go off mission followed by a mutiny is a disaster in any starship. No matter what they’re noticed, Picard, Riker and 7 are the bad guys here.

you know it’s down to bad writing but I think in normal circumstances tge security chief would have had a very healthy interest in Picard & Riker’s movements and actions and been ordered to wake the captain at the first sign of trouble. If Shaw is guilty of anything it’s incompetence for not doing sobering like this. Otherwise I still think he was spot on.

Shaw is being unnecessarily dickish too. Invinting people to a meal and then starting without them and belittling a gift is just rude for no reason. He seems to be a pretty absent captain too, a bit like Janeway in Night, not taking the ship out of spacedock or being on the bridge at all until he was woken up in the middle of the night. I get what they were trying to do with him bit his personality is too grating to have any sympathy for him. He seems like the embodiment of "if you go out and come across an asshole that guy has a problem. If you go out and everyone is an asshole, you're the problem."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Shaw is definitely a D1ckhead, but from his perspective.....trouble tends to follow Picard and Riker around. Wound you want them on your new shiny ship?

Chemistry between Riker and Picard is good.

Sone real good theory threads on reddit about who the bad guys are this season. .

Also questions are asked as to whether they were really in 10 forward bar or a hologram version of it? Something to so with the end credits?

All Eyes On Rafah

Fair point. I hadn’t considered that and yeah, when you out it like that, he’s but the greatest captain material but I’m guessing to that you need your oriole captains in some situations and your dick captains in others. He might just be the man for the titans job otherwise. I do think though the writers set out to make him a d1ck and really bailed home the message, maybe just a bit too much.

I like WWII naval stuff and it occasionally crops up that there are captains who are the absolute best at getting new ships fitted out, through basic sea trials, and ready for line duty that you would absolutely not ever in a million years let into combat. If you've ever seen Band of Brothers Captain Soble was like an army equivalent, great at training bad at everything else, although the series played it up a lot. Being charitable to Shaw, and the writers, he could be this kind of officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭eadrom

RLM back with another re:View for S03E01:

I’ve a feeling that Raffi’s handler is Worf. Just that bit with them calling her a warrior. Pretty hsm fisted I thought and the Worf I know would have gutted her with a bathlet in short order after meeting her but that’s my theory anyway. At least they have her dog soldering kind of useful now rather than just being surly all the time like previously.

Did rios stay on the past in S2? I can’t remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yup, and then apparently died in a bar fight smoking a cigar....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm somewhat confused as to how Raffi ends up on La Sirena after the events of Season 2. I thought Borgati had flown off to the Delta quadrant with it. Presumably she returned it following the alliance between the Federation and the Borg sect but I would have presumed it'd have 400 years worth of Borg augmentation to have survived that long.

That was the alternate timeline/history/whatever La Sirena.

That, and they’ve got to get some milage out of a set thar probably cost them a bit.

Is it just me, or did they turn down the JJ-Trek lens flare engine in the back of LaSerena? Seems like just a couple of dull lights in the back now.

The Titan's bridge was the Stargazer's too, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I suspect we now have a canon reason why Beverly went missing in S2 and was replaced by the awful DR. Pulaski....

She was off in the Good Shepard convent having her illegitimate love child!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Actually even the dates make sense, S2 of TNG was filmed 34 years ago!

Advertisement