Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike realities

Options
  • 17-02-2023 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm at a bit of an impasse with myself. I've completed the IBT a year ago and would like to start the journey into motorcycling. At 45 I regret each summer not giving it a go.

Lately however I've been talking to too many people that (hopefully) exaggerate the risks. A few that have said it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' type scenarios.

I'd love to hear some views of those here from a particularly Irish viewpoint on the realities of that.

I obviously know there are more risks than 4 wheeled road users. I personally have a couple of friends that have commuted on bikes for more than a decade with very little incident but are they the exception or the rule?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭robbie_63

I'm nearly 3 years on the bike now, done my IBT when I turned 40.

I found the same thing as you all you hear is how dangerous it is, etc. Even amongst a lot of other bikers they seemed to talk it down.

Yes of course there are more risks compared to a car but it's never as bad as people make out.

Plenty of training and learning to look ahead and read the road and other road users goes a long way.

You will never be 100% safe doing anything in life.

I would highly recommend it as a past time, there is nothing like getting out for an hour and going on a spin to clear the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

This x2.

I started when I was 30 and I'm 35 now. I haven't had many close calls, there have been a few drivers who've pulled out without seeing me in that time but I'm always expecting it so I'm going at a speed that gives me time to react whenever I'm coming across junctions/sideroads.

I think most accidents are avoidable if you're switched on and always keep it in your head that the car might not see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I did my IBT and passed my test last year at 45... It's extremely rewarding... I still get gobshites in the pub telling me how dangerous it is... Just tell them to improve their driving, to open their eyes and stop looking at their phones and the roads will be safer for you... They won't know how to react.!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The level of risk will depend on your driving style but if your unluckily you will eventually find yourself in a situation where it doesn't matter. Up to you if the risk is worth the reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

I don't agree with the luck side of thing! The luck on a motorbike is no different from a car! EG getting taken out by some on the wrong side of the road is the same risk as a car? You could even argue the risk is less than in a car as you're narrower and could be easier to avoid! But just my opinion!

• Advertisement

How many of the people that you're listening to actually ride bikes or have any sort of experience on bikes? If you're nervous about it, get your full license done and look into some kind of Motorcycle Roadcraft course and then make a call when you're fully informed and have a bit more experience around it. I found the roadcraft side of things eye opening in terms of perception of risk and just attitude to the road and risks with it. I have to say it made me a better car driver, not just motorcyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pat James

I have been on Bikes for 50 years, Twice I have ended up in hospital, one a drunk driver pulling out and the second a guy doing a u-turn without looking.When I started Biking there was no IBT but the best advice I got was when your on the road they are all out to get you, Be Aware,Be in Control and stay safe and remember your never as good as you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

I'm 40 and only started biking five years ago. I find I have more close calls driving the car than I do on the bike.

I find biking safer as I see further as I'm sitting nice and high. While enjoying the ride I'm also playing the 'what if' game. What if that person doesn't see me etc etc..... Most risk is eliminated if its anticipated. Always wear full gear and get the right training. Maintain your bike and enjoy it 🏍️

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I'm 62. I ride the bike most days for last 32 years. My two bits of advice are "never overtake in a junction (murphy's law is that the car just in front will turn right) & never start your journey if you are in bad form or are running late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

Cheers folks, that's genuinely re-assuring. I am in general pretty risk averse. I'd second the 'has made me a better car driver' too even having done the IBT.

I'm actually less worried about other vehicles (I think you can mitigate that with caution and distance).

My biggest fear is hitting dirt/gravel/oil on a bend but I guess experience might mitigate that a little.

• Advertisement

If you’re a city dweller then start worrying about other vehicles .

I'll be commuting from Wicklow Town to Stepaside or Greystones. As I won't be able to use the motorway it'll involve some nice backroads, so likely a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Nice. Avoiding city traffic, and not too many fuggin tractors driven by kids either.

Still, there's no way motorcycles are safer than cars. ED people don't call them donor vehicles for nothing. About a year ago, I told that to a young lad who admired my bike and said he wanted one but worried about the risk. He said he'd already heard it from his dad, who's a doctor.

I'm a born again biker back a few years now. Back in the day we didn't have to deal with mobile phones , SUVs, and electric scooter guys everywhere.

I'm not claiming it's more dangerous, but the variety of threats seems to have ramped up.

What hasn't changed is the simple reality that, when you're on a motorcycle, everyone, even the car driver not on their phone, actually is out to kill you. Knowing that makes it safer.

Go through Ashford and up to coynes Cross and onto N11 from there. It's motorway after Bray again I think. Same on the way home, come off at Coynes Cross and you avoid the motorway.

It's a dangerous road but safer than the back roads in my experience.

I've commuted from Wicklow town to Dublin for 4 years now.

No major scares apart from one last week in the car. 3 car pile up in front of me and lad behind nearly hit me. Close call, but I was the only car not tailgating.

Assume all car drivers are stupid and murderous and you'll minimise the risk. I can't afford a camera set at the minute but it's the next expense on my list. If you can afford a good set, get one

The riskiest thing about biking is other drivers, if you minimise your own risk by riding safely and smartly.

I've seen bikers 'filtering' at 100kmph on N11 some mornings. Some bikers are lethal, but most are safe. Likely family men like myself

Seem to be a few pile ups over the last few minths, tailgating is a big problem, moreso than it used to be. I see a few bikers Lane splitting and weaving at 100km+ too, death wish.

So guess where I was this morning ? In a bike shop with my 33 year old son. I really thought I was done worrying about him 😁. He hasn't even started CBT yet, so trying to find a bike he likes the look of and one that fits him 😇. So this thread is perfect timing.

Tailgating is always happening on that road. It's the norm. Guards should clamp down on it. The roads would be far safer

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

That's not far off my route, its pretty handy. I just putt along in the bus lane 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Words I read on Boards years ago which I would agree with is, motorbikes aren't more dangerous, they're just unforgiving. Aside from the hazards caused by other drivers, going into a daydream or switching off on 2 wheels can end up very poorly for you, whereas in a car, nine times out of ten, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

It's an enjoyable spin alright. See the changing seasons as you're on the N11.

Bus lanes all the way once you're into Dublin though. Has to be done.

You might see my silver fjr some mornings so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If we listened to everyone's tales of woes we wouldn't get out bed because life is too dangerous. As above, it obviously has it dangers but it has far too many more positives to not riding a bike.

It's never too late. Get the license and get on the road. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

I agree with the sentiments above. I've started on mopeds when I was 16, gave up biking in my 20's due to space constraints trying to keep a bike, returned to biking there last year at 34. Although I have a company car monday-friday so I don't consider myself a full time biker 😅

Just some of my experiences over the years.

• Ride at your own pace.
    • Do not get on a bike if you're angry.
    • Be visible to other drivers (don't go full ghostrider gear).
    • Keep your distance from other cars.

And most of all enjoy it. There's no feeling like getting on a bike and go for a spin to clear the mind.

Be visible to other drivers (don't go full ghostrider gear).

What does this mean? Do I have to dress like a construction worker? My bike has a number of lights and reflectors, by law... Will wearing a stupid yellow vest make a driver look up from their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

That's up to yourself what you want to wear. I didn't mention any vest there, and no matter what you wear at the end of the day can make you visible to ignorant drivers. However for my own personal "taste". My safety my gear does have the yellow/green strips and a lighter coloured jacket, helmet is also white with green.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Take your dick out and wave it around. 🙊

That'll get more attention.

Make the News even.

Ghost rider is black from head to toe, The more visible you are the more chance there is other road users seeing you. Construction workers wear those vests for the very same reason. The difference between on a motorbike and a construction worker is that its required by law when you're a construction worker. Its only required by law for learner riders afaik!!

I don't see how wearing a yellow jacket in this image/scenario would benefit...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Broke my back when I came off my bike. Luckily didn't get any head/brain damage as I was wearing a really good helmet but I wish I was wearing back protection.

Invest in a back protector and the best helmet you can afford OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

IMO high viz clothing won't make a massive difference for a few reasons.

It's common as muck nowadays. Everyone wears it so it's gotten to the stage it's almost ignored. Look at the amount of people wearing it - school kids, walkers, construction/ trade workers and some cyclists. People even drape it over their pets! And the majority of those who wear it the reflective layers are worn or they have none. So they look like a banana!

There's lads going round with a 20th hand L vest during their IBT and there is not any reflecting bits left on it so its not doing them any favours.

Advertisement