Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Are the players there is what I am asking, he's brought through the likes of mounsey and Rodgers , found new positions for Fitzgerald and O'Donnell who won all stars as a result, Meehan and Adam Hogan are going to be big players also for us , plus he has got the best out of Cian Nolan and Paul Flanagan

We need cover in the half back line granted and it looks like he's working on it , but it was his only flaw last year in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jamesconlan85

If Eoin Cleary is out for Kildare game I would prefer to see Podge Collins at 11 and Aaron Griffin inside

I reckon he will be available, not sure about the sigerson cup lads had how they have recovered since Wednesday night, hopefully McMahon is fit enough to start

Sexton and Darren O'Neill are both out as far as I know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

He turned an All Star forward/ball winner into a centre back and didn't have a plan B, which exposed us against Kilkenny last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In his first couple of seasons, I recall the biggest criticism was his slow he was to make changes on the line. Rarely made a sub before 60 mins no matter how the game was going.

then he was subbing Rory Hayes after 8 mins(!), and Galvin in the first half v KK

he was brought through lots of players, Quilligan, Hayes, Flanagan, Mounsey, Taylor, Rodgers, Meehan, A.McCarthy come to mind…..and of course improved others

when Lohan took over, TK had only one All-Star (!), SOD had none

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

First couple of seasons.... it's rarely a manager gets a couple of seasons without a result being needed, this isn't an up and coming squad, this is an All Ireland and league winning squad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

From what I've seen of Clare, he has played young Lohan in the preseason at cb. So, he is trying to give someone an apprenticeship in the position.

Kelly, Duggan,reidy , Fitzgerald Shane o Donnell and Conor Cleary are the remaining players from. That league final everyone else is gone, some with years , even before he took the job

Podge is playing football, jack Browne is to only one he could put in from that team

Isn’t Jack Browne cut from the panel for this year ?

Well yeah but what I meant was he was one of the survivors from that team in 2016 , shannagher came on in the reply but he has always been more of an option off the bench

There must be nearly 10 players from that team in 2016 unavailable to us now

• Advertisement

7 years ago, I'd say there aren't many teams left with the same players from 7 seasons ago, looking at that team you had TK, Conlon, SoD, David Mc, Conor Cleary, Reidy and David Fitz, that's half the team. Going back to Lohan's first season in charge you still have Quilligan, Cleary, Hayes, Morey, David Mc, Reidy, David Fitz, Conlon, TK, SoD and Taylor pushing for starting places. It's nearly gotten to the stage where it's harder to get off the team than it is to get on it.

Definitely not the case in the last two years, it's been stated above the amount of new players brought in since the start of last season

A lot of players brought in but not much change to the starting team

To make a long Argument short up to last year no progress had really been made,

Last year was huge progress, loads of new lads added to the panel and first team,

What let management down was , the introduction of paudi Fitzpatrick who had no game played all year and not this level anyway, the easier solution was to just drop David Fitz back to wing back and move David MC to centre

I also personally feel the inside forward line of reidy and Galvin was terrible, and only when young Rodgers come on things improved like the Limerick game

Yeah, Ian Galvin should not be ahead of either Rodgers or Meehan,

Reidy should not be starting in my opinion either, good sub to bring on but the Kilkenny game highlighted why he should be dropped

Lots of options in the half forward and midfield area but we need to get it right, moving Cathal Malone or David Fitz back would be a start even just for a few league games, lots of options in the full back line, it looks like Flanagan,Cleary,and Nolan are our best options come championship young Hogan from feakle should get a run out in every league game left

I don't know about progress, this was a team with All Ireland and League titles, all stars in most lines, back to back Munster finals, width of a post from an All Ireland final, I'd say last year was getting back to where they were rather than progress. This team should be in All Ireland semi-finals at a minimum in my opinion, anything less is a poor season, anything more is a great season.

If we don't get our half back line sorted soon it doesn't matter who we play in the forwards.

Problem is we don't have anyone to replace whats there, that's why conlon was moved back

And there is no one better in the county at club level to replace whats there

Maybe move David Fitz back there but he's been tried there before, other than that that's it , that's our half back line you can't blame lohan for that there the best in the county available

You could play D.Fitz in the half back line, but really he is a better player at midfield or even wing forward

Being honest it's not our biggest problem , the more myself and Clareman argued today the more I remembered just how bad our inside lads were not just the Limerick game, but the Wexford and Kilkenny games after ,

This is a serious area we need to improve, and before you say it , it would be crazy to think about putting Shane O'Donnell back in there after last year

As far as I am concerned it's Rodgers, Meehan and McCarthy, with McCarthy roaming, one thing you can guarantee on last year is the two young lads will make the ball stick inside,

Reidy is a half forward and down the pecking order , and Cian Galvin has been in regression since the cork game in thurles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clare got exactly what they deserved against Kildare.

Tried to run down the clock with 20 minutes go and it blew up in their face.

They are not a team that can play that type of football comfortably so I don't know why they attempted it. Total capitulation.

Clare had put in a good opening 35 mins and started the second half well and then with the extra man started acting the bollix and ended up getting a kick in the bollix.

Some great individual performances but wheres the good. It's becoming an all too common theme with this set up, glaring errors at vital times of games.

Kildare weren't hectic although Darren Flynn caused havoc when he came on. Head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch. Cork hockeyed this Kildare team. Clare still have to play Dublin, Derry, Cork and Limerick can only see them getting 2 points from that at most.

I hope they go out and prove me wrong but that was a very dispiriting loss.

Clare 0-15 Kildare 0-16

as jimmy sloyan would say , simply not good enough!! , the undertone of the second half from the home side seemed to be run down the clock from as early as the 40th minute and ultimately paid for it in the end , kildare out scored us 0-8 to 0-1 in the last 25 minutes with 4 of them scores in the 5 minutes injury time played at the end

the reintroduction of stephan ryan in goals it could only mean one thing that something was going to go wrong , and in injury time instead of going long and clearing his lines the kilrush man got caught and overturned in possession , in return his foul led to a black card where emmitt mcmahon had to go in goals for the last 3 minutes

out the field pearse lillis , cian o dea , emmit mcmahon and conor cleary were all excellent as was ronan lanagin , but decision making let us down badly in the second half , and surprisingly the biggest culprit was podge collins in that department

squeaky bum time now for he footballers , two home games against cork and limerick await , along with trips to croke park and owenbeg , a tough ask after today to get two more wins

clare scorers

Eoin cleary 0-8

emmitt mcmahon 0-3

gavin cooney 0-2

ronan lannigan 0-1

dermot coughlin 0-1

agree , i cant defend that second half display not the last 20 minutes anyway , keep going for your scores and push on we deserved every bit of that defeat

On the hurlers, for me it's Lohan's failing that we don't have a 6, or a half back at that, you can say that the players aren't there, which is fair comment, but if the players aren't there you adjust your team/strategy to account for where you are weakest, if anything Clare are setup to expose the half back line more than actually help them.

Footballers, jesus the footballers, what a way to shoot yourself in the foot, with second half performances like that we don't deserve to be playing for Sam.

individually we done a lot of good stuff today but its about the end product at the end of the day , and we didnt capitalize on it , on two or 3 occasions in the second half we had frees in scoring positions and podge insisted to take the ball off cleary and go backwards 20 yards with it , or better still go short to a man double marked ,

for a man as experienced as he is i expect an awful lot better then that from him , we gave ourselves no chance as a result , aaron griffin is another over rated player in my opinion , his miss at the end was shocking , had he fisted the ball over the bar it was game over , instead it allowed kildare back into the game and they didnt waste the chance

Home games are crucial now remaining fixtures

Dublin (A) 25/2

Cork (H) 5/3

Derry (A) 19/3

Limerick (H) 26/3

The importance of todays game cannot be overstated.

in the remaining four games, I can only see us beating Limerick

that would leave us on 4 points, which might not be enough.

cork and clare like us and kildare have had some great battles over the last 7 or 8 years i still think we have every chance against them , the problem is , today cork played dublin and showed no respect to them and tore into them from start to finish with real belief , while we just didnt believe in ourselves in possession in front of goal and kept passing the ball around the park , basically afraid that if we kick wides kildare might come back into the game , and bingo it happened anyway

i reckon the cork game is 50/50 for some reason this always happens clare football , last year we let cork back into a game we were in total control of and got a draw , a few weeks later we went up to Roscommon and kicked 3 injury time points to draw against the best team in the division

kildare were at their strongest in the last 25 minutes today and daniel flynn was outstanding , neil flynn and kevin fealy were both back from injury today too , its a much stronger team then the team that lost to cork

its just the manner of defeat that probably hurts , if we had corks cockiness we would have buried them when we were 6 points up instead of playing keep ball

the end of the game showed up kildares humility , daniel flynn , kevin flynn , glen ryan , kevin fealy , and johnney doyle all wakling up to colm collins after the game to almost apologize for their snatch and grab win , it probably highlights the reputation he has in the game and just how close some of the battles have been over the years

• Advertisement

great win in the camogie today too aginst kilkenny , john carmodey might have been called a lot of things over the years 🤣 , but the kilmaley man deserves so much credit for the massive work he has done with clare camogie , he is easily the colm collins of the code in the county , fantastic win

Advertisement