Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Only likely way I'd see us losing is if a game devolves into a penalty fest against England. Penalty, kick to the corner, maul. Repeat. Massive defensive effort, with a ref letting them live offside. They kept themselves in the match last year until the death, with a very limited gameplan. Hopefully the experience of dealing with SA and France's defensive approach will stand us in good stead .

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

barring something like an early red card or some catastrophic injury list, this irish team (squad really) should be winning a grand slam simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why are we spending so much time slamming something as choking that hasn’t yet happened and probably won’t happen? We’re the top dogs in rugby right now. We’ve beaten everyone worth talking about in the last 12 months. We are primed for a GS. We have given two fingers to the memory of 2019. And yet we’ve pages and pages of moaning about what it means if we don’t get the most we can possibly get from this tournament.

We can lose the GS and not choke on the way. It is possible. But it’s unlikely. We can lose the GS and choke on the way. Given how this squad have been talking that’s also massively unlikely. At the end of the day it’s better to wait until there is disappointment before putting any label on it. No point in worrying about it until then as it may not happen.

As for the RWC, the top 5 teams in the world are all on the same side of the draw. 3 of them (2 + Scotland) will go out in the pools and/or QF. It would be disappointing, but it would be disappointing for any of them. We’re nothing unusual there. Lest we forget, our route to a final is:

Romania - Tonga - South Africa - Scotland - France/New Zealand - England/Australia

Its mental. If anyone on our side of the draw win the thing they’ll probably have earned it more than anyone else ever has. Seriously quality sides will lose out in the QFs and we aren’t any more or less immune to that as anyone else. In fact I’d argue we’re already on the back foot given our schedule. We can’t manage our squad in the same way that the others can. So that’s an interesting element to it as it is. Again, let’s wait and see what happens. There’s no point putting labels on something we haven’t seen or contextualised yet. And let’s enjoy where we are now without turning it into something else.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

One slip up at the wrong time, one tiny lapse in concentration can result in a red nowadays, especially with the inconsistency of how the protocols are applied...it's not necessarily going to be a situation where it's just poor discipline, there can be chance involved.

I'll be disappointed if we don't win GS from here. I think without some exceptional circumstances occurring, we should expect to win the rest of our matches.

But if something random does happen that costs us a win despite us not dropping off in terms of performance, I don't think it's cause for a "choke" or "failure" label.

Choking is one reason we can lose. It's not the only one.

given the quality of the coming opposition, anything other than a clean sweep in the 6N would be choking. i dont see england improving as much as they would need to in the short space of time left to get to a competitive level with ireland, coupled with the fact that the game is in dublin on st patricks weekend its should be a win for this irish team. not a walkover by any means, but a win. scotland are flattering to deceive yet again but i dont see anything but an ireland win in that game. maybe a close one, but a win nonetheless. italy are very beatable even in rome

before the start of the tournament, expecting a grand slam would have been over the top but given the performances in the first two games, with one being against arguably the strongest opposition in the competition, a grand slam should be the minimum for this team. being a world cup year, meeting this expectation is even more important

the rwc itself is a different story, especially given the nature of irelands draw. add to this the probability that england, france, NZ and probably aus are all going to be in a better place than they have been up to now, doing well wont be an easy task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’m just happy it’s not the 80’s/90’s anymore.

Good to see the first reply missed the point entirely.

sorry but theres a difference between missing the point and disagreeing. i (and others) am saying that if ireland were to fail to win the grand slam it would definitely be choking given the current situation the squad finds itself in (i didnt say it in my response but this is excepting something like an early red card or half the squad becoming unavailable somehow) and given the performances over the last year/two years.

No, you absolutely missed the point. Which was, why the f* are we talking about this at all given how good things are. Do we just need to find a way to turn good things into misery? If, and I don’t believe it will happen, we fail to win the GS then there’ll be loads of time to talk about this stuff after. Why are we even talking about it at all now when it hasn’t happened and doesn’t look likely? Can we not just be happy with the nice thing that we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

What a luxurious position to be in, sure every loss is disappointing. I get all the expectation setting but I’m gonna try and not to, instead enjoy the rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gonna fire this theory out there:

Losing is a lot harder to take if you didn't believe that you deserved to be on top in the first place. Or more specifically in the case of Irish rugby, that we were only on top due to moments of individual brilliance, a favourable schedule, getting the "intensity" right, and so on. "Goddamit, that was our one chance and we blew it!"

But those factors simply are not the roots of our successes any more. Irish rugby is not just in a purple patch, it's in a newfound state characterised by healthy finances, integrated pro-club (province) and national setup, enviable player production, and innovativeness within an expanding cohort of homegrown coaches.

When we lose again, whenever it is, it will be a time for maturity. To tip our hats to the victors, and, most importantly, to be confident that we'll be back to fight another day very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Redacted

Post edited by leakyboots on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, we are partly talking about it because some people are taking exception to the idea that the minimum expectation should be a GS - which to me is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

I think pre-emptively making excuses and being cagey is pretty irritating also.

I think the word "choking" is far too loaded and I'm not a fan, but if we don't win the GS it is far more likely because of our failure than some act of God.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's simple Irish hyperbole.

Win and we're the best in the world and gonna win the world cup, lose and we're chokers / bottlers / useless who were never good in the first place

There's no room in some peoples thoughts for the understanding that this is sport. Underdogs beat favourites sometimes. That's a fact of life. We did it in Chicago in 2015. At some stage in there near future it will be done to us.

Can we not simply enjoy the fact that we're a very, very good rugby nation now?

Someone above mentioned the 80's and 90's. I'm old enough to remember those times, when we'd put up a gallant effort for 50 minutes and then get blown away. When playing Scotland France England was pretty much a guaranteed loss, and Wales more often than not. Southern hemisphere sides?? Forget it, no chance.

We're on the other side of the coin now, with systems in place where we can create a dynasty. I will enjoy every single second of this, including the inevitable "wake up" losses that will come

Can we not simply enjoy the fact that we're a very, very good rugby nation now?

We were very, very good at rugby this time last year and we lost the 6N and I did not enjoy it.

And that's sport for you. We were beaten by a better team in Paris. Chapeau.

Only a masochist enjoys the losses, but a realist knows they are inevitable and doesn't become manic with hyperbole when it happens.

Like I said previously, I will be disappointed if we don't won a GS and the RWC this year as I think we're good enough to do both, but I'm not going deride the players as chokers if neither happens. There is absolutely no practical use for that kind of negativity

Nor will I - as I said I don't like the word - but they will (more than likely) have failed.

Just like NZ failed in world cups between 87 and 11 despite being the best team in the world for most of it. And you can be sure that was not accepted as "sure these things happen, its sport".

Setting realistic expectations means acknowledging when you fail to live up to them and figuring out why.

As much as you can claim negativity is pointless, I do not for the life of me see why people can also refuse setting expectations at realistic levels. "shure they'll do their best but who knows" is pretty pathetic to me.

Sometimes the "why" can simply be there is no god given right to win every game. Like I said earlier, sport is full of underdog beating favorite stories.

Sometimes you just got to hold up your hands and say we were beaten on the day. If we're beaten in Scotland by a Scotland team who are doing so many things excellently right now, we will have to acknowledge that. That are always great at wrecking your ruck, slowing it down and being total pr!cks there. Now they have an attacking game on top of that which can worry the best teams out there. I'm certainly not taking them for granted, not do I buy into the "it's typical Scotland" trope. I do accept that they haven't really been properly challenged yet though, so let's see how they get on against France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

What we probably need to see from the team now is how we deal with a situation where we go 10 points down early in a game. Our success has always been about building an early lead and pinning back the opposition from that point on.

What I'd like to see now is how the team cope with a bad start to a game, because it's going to happen sooner or later. If we go 7 or 10 behind at Murrayfield and come back to win well it would make a big statement and put to bed a lot of comments like the ones in the last few pages of this thread, which I think come about from a fear that maybe we're not actually quite as strong as our results in the last year suggest we are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There's a difference between what the fans think and what the coaching staff and player think tho.

I'm not sure the fans expectations has much influence at all on the team? And conversely, the "figuring out why" obviously can't be done by the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"shure they'll do their best but who knows" is pretty pathetic to me.

Did anyone actually say that though?

Think we'd all be extremely disappointed if we don't win the GS but there's a huge difference between saying "we should have won it" and "we didn't win it so the rest of it is meaningless and they're a bunch of chokers"

It has close to zero influence and we may as well all just stop bothering to post here with any opinions if we think it will have actual impact.

The coaching staff will, at this stage, consider anything less than a GS a let down I suspect and certainly won't be placated by "well Scotland are playing well and sometimes these things happen".

And people, for the most part, are completely making up that latter scenario. I don't doubt that one or two posters are waiting in the wings for that scenario, but they are best ignored.

A simple "the minimum expectation at this stage should be a GS" statement is being met with absurd hypotheticals and pre-emptive scenarios and excuses. If Scotland play better on the day that is not an excuse, its just the reason why we'll have failed to meet expectations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

No issue at all with discussing it. I just think often, and in particular in discussions like this, the “we” often gets conflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Barring an early red card or spate of injuries the yes it probably would be a choke to not win the GS, but as others have said we'll only be able to put a label on it if it happens so let's hope this chat is wasted energy.

Just to link it to the WC, I strongly believe that winning the GS is by far the best prep for the WC, and with that in mind I think we have to go fully locked and loaded into all three remaining games. Much more important we win a GS than ensure our 6th choice lock or 4th choice put half gets 15 minutes in Rome.

I get that. And I think we should absolutely be bullish about where we stand. We shouldn’t be shying away from that. Personally I’d rather focus on where we are right now. In a great place with potentially great things to come. I’m looking forward to seeing where we go and I’ll worry about judging that (good or bad) once we get there. In the meantime I’m going to enjoy the ride.

Any pre-emptive stuff is annoying for me. Be that making excuses for not winning the GS or passing judgement on not winning it. It’s all sh!te. As I said, we’ll have plenty of time and a lot more context after the fact to discuss it if it should happen. Let’s all worry about whether they choked or not then. Why bother worrying about it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

We are worrying about it now because it’s a rest week. How many more sleeps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

I am also old enough to remember those days - Ireland were the Italy of the 5N latterly - for example Scotland never lost to Ireland in the 90’s - winning 10 and drawing 1.

A bell did not go off when Ireland started to become competitive, similarly there has not been a bell for Scotland’s upwards path but it didn’t just start this year - you don't get to 5th in the rankings on the back of 2 results.

We have no idea if Scotland are near a ceiling or will keep improving.

Advertisement