Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are HE they are unlikely to be in demand for export. If they are underneath milky cows they could be 400 kgs now and 470kgs in May. Very limited demand for bulls that heavy that time of year. As an under16 month bull they will be finishing in October/November. Most lads finishing bulls that time of year opt for 18-21 months as they old, they be competing against Friesians that age.

I saw two 400kg Hereford bulls sell yesterday in Listowel for 800 euro and they were July '21 born.

I be squeezing them and selling in early mid April.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Bass Reeves the way things are at the minute there is a good money for everything, seen 400 -500 Kg AA's 14 month old Bulls in the mart the Tuesday night €3 - €3.10 /kg, it was the exporters and bull men that were buying them, they would only be a good O in my opinion if squeezed as Bullocks, might feed into an R if kept as a bull. The normal rules seem to have gone out the window at the minute, especially when it comes to AA & Hex cattle. I had a pair of nice red LM bullocks out of it 18 months, 420 kgs at €1,120 (test up in two weeks so that could explain it a small bit). It is very hard to make sense of the trade for cattle under 550 kgs at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Got over €3 a kg liveweight for Hereford x bullocks so I'm comparing like with like when replacing. Won't be bought too easy. 570 kg Hereford x bullocks got €1800 I suppose it was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Looking for thoughts, have 15no. CHX heifers circa around 500kg on average (couple around 550-580 but couple around 480ish) and wondering weather to finish or sell now giving supposedly good mart prices

they are getting meal since Xmas around 5kg a day and on good silage

All thoughts greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Stick up on DD especially bigger bunches. Factory agents probably pay u well. Sold 32 AAX and Hex c.500kgs 2 weeks ago for 3 kg. Id say chx should do better. Was Getting much better price live than Factory price then or even now.I needed €6 from factory to come out with same. Was only offered €5.50 flat in factory then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I would reckon that the mart is your best option. I was watching heifers in Carnaross today and ones in the same weight bracket as yours are making up to €3/kg and over irrespective if they are QA or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

CH and Lim heifers 350 - 400kgs in Carnaross are no dearer than they were this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

thanks all for the feedback, I'm going to squeeze them as vet is calling tomorrow to dehorn and test a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Agree. Any AAX or HeX are going for 3+euro in marts now once around or over the 500kg. Ive seen them making more than better chx lmx types. Strange but seems thats what factory wants now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I carried 3 bullocks to the mart this morning for an uncle who I buy and sell the few stock for. All CHx and spring 21 born, they were bought as weanlings circa 280kg in September 21.

560kg Golden CHx @ €1870. He cost €850 and looked the pick of them at the time but never grew after. I wouldn't usually go over €800 but thought him value.

660kg White head CHx @ 1980. He cost €750 and made a big rumbley bullock as I expected.

640kg Mousey CHx @ €1700. He cost €670 as was a plain calf and made a big warrior of a beast again as expected.

All in all I thought it good enough going considering they weren't QA and were wintered out on average silage and some meal. I was disappointed with the thrive of the first bullock but he sold well imo, the last bullock I thought might have made more but it will be August before he's fit and I don't begrudge him to the next man.

Getting them replaced atm is the next battle. I don't buy much more than an average type calf sub 300kg usually and €1000 seems to be the new €800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@tanko that's just it compared to plain cattle like AAx & Hex the nice R grade Lmx / Chx is looking like better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd buy a few of them lmx / chx but can't see much value in southern marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

Last year was my first time finishing Angus cattle. I had 5 of them in the bunch. The factory charged me €6 a head on them to qualify for the Angus bonus. I have a few more in the bunch this year. Am I right in saying that if I join an Angus group I'll qualify for the Angus bonus any time I send an Angus to the factory after the initial once off payment? I looked on google, and there seems to be at least a couple of groups. Are they all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

Talk of a pull by the factories in the midlands, did anyone else hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

The 4 day week and the big kill , 35000 has played into the factory's at the moment. Quotes are back today but might not last long

I hate to be killing forward cattle bought over the last 3 weeks in 60-70 days time if prices have not risen by 50c/kg.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The house always wins either way.

It's like the bookie who's not bothered about losing big every now and then. He knows word of his loss will get out and it'll give the punters false confidence to keep spending.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

You'll not buy much around here less than €3-€3.2 a kilo at the moment. Neighbour showed 2 average type weanlings in the mart last week, a brown AUx 280kg at €940 and a Mousey Chx bull 310kg at €1040. The shipper's have the trade for average bull weanlings absolutely on fire the last 2 month's. There going to a few different outlets with them and it's unreal what they can give for second rate cattle nevermind better types. The only bit of value I saw last week was a good orange and white CHx bull 290kg at €880 but he was mental wild and I'd get ran if I brought him to the uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

Those shippers seem be mopping up all contential bulls from 280 to 400....so looking at outside that range....as won't last forever and don't want be carrying can when it drops.

• Advertisement

• What are aax bulls, 9 mts old averaging about 310/320kg making at moment. None squeezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

only going to kill 4 days next week as well, Beef can be bought cheaper across Europe which is not a good sign for us.

Over the last 3-5 years Irish beef has gone from bottom shelf discounted product to top shelf sold at a premium even to there own beef in countries like Germany, Holland, Belgium, Italy Luxembourg etc.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have the increases stalled or how we looking for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

From what I hear they have stalled and may even pull it. I was chatting a neighbor today and he was told by an agent yesterday there orders were full for next week and that the following week was filling up quickly also. Probably the usual carry on from the factories to keep prices down. That extra bonus for Angus and Hereford from mid March to mid May is a racket. They just want a steady supply for these months without increasing the base price. Young stock are a crazy price. Someone will get burnt and it will not be the factories.

According to the journal they’ll be crying out for them in a few weeks. I think prices are strengthening across the water.

Haven’t bought since before Christmas but Mart prices seem to be out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭kk.man

I know a fella who supplied a good load of cattle last week. He got big money for them on a flat price. But the first the kill docket had details of a grid price on par with what was being quoted in the press. He got the other docket with his cheque in the post.

This was obviously to disguise the amount that makes up the weekly returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

For the right stock there’s far more available than what’s being quoted. There’s no problem getting €5.60 for O grade hex and €5.70 for angus in a number of factories at the minute even though base price is being quoted at around €5.30.

There you go so. They are mad for cattle and are doing their best to keep control on it. You only have to look at what finished cattle are making in the marts.

• Advertisement

TBH it's not as much as people think unless the cattle are very plain. I would expect most Hex to grade O+ with an odd R and a sprinkling of O-.

Ignoring the Assuming a 2 to 1/O+ to O- it leaves the figures like this.

5.3. - 0.14+ 0.15 +0.2= 5.51/kg @5.6 it's a base of 5.4/ kg unless a lot of them are overfat. The advantage of a flat price is it takes a little risk out of it. However if there was a sprinkling of R' replacing the some of O- cattle you are at that base. You would not want to be travelling very far an extra 15/ head on transport is about 5c/kg.

On the AA cattle you should definitely have a few R grades and a higher bonus. So it works

5.3-0.08+0.2+0.2=5.62.

Now often the processors pay extra on the AA cattle and bonus of 0.3/kg have been spoken about.

I have seen lads travelling 50-80miles more for them sort of prices, paying 25-30 euro lately for transport instead of being 12-15 or even doing the transport themselves. Cattle being loaded 5-7pm the evening before I stead of loading the following morning.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement