Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looks like it will take us a few weeks to get up to speed. Men v Boys in the first half.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Cork don't look interested at all. Home crowd kept very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bit disappointed Harps have gone to an AI camera with no commentary this season. Thought they'd stick with the production they had last year.

Don't think I'll be watching many games from Finn Park this season.

Everything else on LOITV working well. So nice to have the season pass back and be able to switch to a game to see a goal. Really like the new graphics package the league are using on RTE too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A lot of our fans giving out stink about their stream. No commentary and a woeful buzzing noise for about half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Feel a bit sorry for the Cork keeper. He's had a mare today. Bad distribution and shocking for that goal.

Yeah there was no sound at all when it started. I'm hoping they'll at least have commentary...maybe there was a problem with the devices so they switched to crowd audio until HT. Here's hoping.

For Cork's sake I hope it's just nerves since he's never played in front of a crowd before probably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

6,487 at the Cross tonight - pity we've been brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

That's an outstanding attendance but it looks like it could be a long year for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

i am working so watching the Harps game on silent and must have been distracted when we equalised before halftime. Because I was very surprised and confused when they updated the score to 1-1 on the screen ten minutes into the second half.

desperate production values compared to the last few years, I’d happily pay extra to watch it properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Talbot with an error this time.

Nearly another one. Kirk clears off the line.

Proper Rory Delap throws going in here great stuff.

Bohs hanging on at the end Cork really should have equalised there.

Happy we eventually got going but deserved to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Redeemed himself in the end. Thought he looked a bit rusty in general. Spilled a couple to himself earlier. Then again he'd **** all to do for most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Deserved point for us. Wonderful free kick by Behan. Great to carry over his scoring form from the Collingwood cup. Dundalk looked decidedly average. We were the ones that looked more likely to get the winner in injury time.

Always fun to see the furious gamblers from God knows where on the opposition team's Twitter page when they don't beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not one home victory in either division tonight. Delighted for a late winner in Limerick, didn't get to see it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jaysus that was a Shels performance to suck the early season optimism right out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I have no clue how good of a finish this was https://www.instagram.com/p/Coxt4ewLk9X/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thought Drogs might turn ye over tonight based on your friendly against us last week, ye were shocking first half and marginally better second half but still were v poor overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Happy with a point in Tolka.

Shels had two great chances but I thought we defended well.

Close the "miss of the season" competition. Matty Smith already has it in the bag.

As an aside, the Shels Cranberries "he's in your head, Duffer" chant is cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh that was bad. Gas thing was they could have nicked the game but the football was dire. Playing with a back 5 against drogheda was less than inspiring , midfield couldn’t get a hold of the game. Was it Boyd who missed that chance through on goal? That was terrible, he should of tapped it in and gives a bad pass!

That said, there was a good crowd at Tolka and I always love the walk to the floodlights. My friend saw the Rovers manager who will not have any concerns about either team on this showing. Looked like two teams who will be gracing the lower end of the division this season. Barrett Was probably the brightest spark for shels, looked solid but for a few stray passes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Happy to see the refereeing hasn't changed either. Whatever about facilities and player wages etc. this is something that needs a major major improvement.

Why did Boyd pass it though? He should of shot himself and the pass wasn’t great.

Long way to go in the season to be fair, but there was nothing in either team’s performance this evening to suggest they’ll be looking ahead of them in the table rather than behind them.

Thought with 8 starters in the team who were with us last season, we’d benefit from the continuity, but genuinely looked like a bunch who hadn’t met before.

100% faith in Duff at all times so hopefully he will make the necessary changes during the week to make sure of a completely different performance out in Inchicore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Despite the 2-0 scoreline, Kerry can take some positives out of the game - overall, none of their individual players looked out of their depth at this level, and the game largely turned on Cobh being clinical when presented with their chances, and Kerry failing to capitalise on their spell of dominance for the first 20 minutes of the second half. Gaxha, Teahan and O'Reilly stood out for the home side, and with a few more matches played, they should be able to nick results off a number of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Nah was a stone wall. Hands were all over him. Galway by far the better team and could have won by more. Some difference in physicality between the two teams. Great to see over 2500 in attendance. Very much a work in progress for us but some decent signs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah I agree, Gaxha was really unlucky not to score. O Reilly has to start in midfield the next day. Think that big Croatian lad up front for Kerry might have got an injury as I thought he was good in the 1st half.

Ah yeh I’d agree with you. I thought we’d start stronger than last season for the reasons you mentioned, we just looked poor even if we did have some good chances and finished kind of strongish.

It Took a few games last season to get going ; maybe it will be same again!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn’t be reading too much into how bad we were. We’ll probably be much better than that and worse than that at various different times before the season ends.

Great to see highlight packages coming out already. Credit where it's due to the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And they aren't just 2 minute videos either. Hopefully 1st division ones aren't lect as an afterthought.

In fairness to Boyd, he set up Smith for a tap-in.

It was a shocking miss. For those of you old enough to remember, it was worse than Ronny Rosenthal.

Boyd is a handful and Barrett was MOTM.

We, Drogheda, played ok. Half a new team each season doesn't help but it was an encouraging start.

Results in Dundalk and Cork suggest the relegation race might not just between ourselves and UCD.

Early days yet though.

Truly bizarre to see Boyd criticisms for that miss. He turned an 80% chance into a 99% chance and that’s a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tough game in Inchicore tonight, Derry are a very solid team, they won't lose too often. But they went negative too early in the 2nd half and were a bit dodgy at defending set pieces. Not entirely sure what to make of us, impressive for first 20 minutes without creating much, then allowed Derry some good chances one of which they scored. Didn't create enough in the 2nd half until the end when we got a load of corners which we equalised from and looked threatening from some of the others. Some of the new signings looked impressive at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pretty much perfect start to the season for us, massive crowd at Ferrycarrig, I'd say we outnumbered Wexford fans 2 or 3 to 1. Atmosphere was incredible from start to finish. Plenty of room for improvement too with the players still getting to know each other. Very enjoyable trip.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Happy to start a new thread if people want...this thread has rolled over since Feb 2020.

• Advertisement

The 10k post limit is gone, so we could just continue with this one, snazzy new title already 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Great to see a better version of us for the first 80 minutes before we brought out last seasons team for the last 15 mins.

Could have had a couple more but overall a really good win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I was at the game, didn’t see it on tv. The pass looked really poor from the angle I saw it, like the player was taking the wrong option cause they lacked confidence to finish and panicked a bit.

The clip on tv corrects that to be fair, it was a solid pass and as stated laid it on a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Didn't get much from Connolly who was Derrys best player imo. Did hold the ball up well at times and definitely offered some good movement. Had one shot in the second half that went miles wide and was taken off with around 15 minutes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is the league website down, or has it changed?

Paywalled if you want to copy and paste the content here?

So much positivity around the place last night and today. Really feels like the tide is turning with attendances skyrocketing and, it appears, an FAI who are finally accepting that the only way to improve the national team is to help improve the national league.

Even saw a post from a Welsh guy on Twitter which started a debate on trying to fix the Cymru premier to be more like the LOI. Some people are actually jealous of what we have now.

Soaking it all in before we get walloped tonight and it puts me in a bad mood.

Paste the article URL into archive.is. I archived it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Dick Shakespeare on Dalymount Park but not Tolka: ‘If you build it, they will come’

Former FAI board member focused on redeveloping just one stadium in north Dublin as Dublin City Council assistant CEO

Gavin Cummiskey

Fri Feb 17 2023 - 17:02

Dick Shakespeare is a League of Ireland man. A UCD stalwart since the halcyon days under Dr Tony O’Neill, his reasoning for stepping off the FAI board last year had little to do with increasing the number of females governing Irish football.

Shakespeare did advocate for a woman to replace him but the assistant CEO for Dublin City Council believes he can better improve the dire state of soccer facilities in the city by focusing on his day job.

Good news for Dalymount Park, not so much for Tolka Park.

“There doesn’t need to be one stadium for everyone in the audience,” Shakespeare told The Irish Times from his office overlooking the river Liffey.

“I’ve a busy job here in Dublin City and I didn’t want my involvement in the top level of the game to be perceived as me potentially not willing to invest in other sports. As part of my remit here, the assistant chief is responsible for culture, recreation and economic services, so that includes sport.

“One of the primary reasons I didn’t stand for the board of the FAI again was I want to drive Dalymount forward.”

Shakespeare’s clear view on DCC delivering their part of the Dalymount redevelopment puzzle coincides with the Save Tolka Park campaign complaining about a year-long lack of “meaningful progress” from both City Council and Shelbourne FC, to ensure the Drumcondra stadium’s future is “not undermined behind closed doors.”

Realistically, is the reconstruction of both Dalymount and Tolka Park, two kilometres apart in north Dublin, ever going to happen?

“In my estimation, no,” Shakespeare responded. “The Save Tolka Park campaign, save it for what? And I am not being smart".

“I wasn’t in DCC when the decision was made to acquire Dalymount and Tolka Park in 2016. The City Council always held the freehold for Tolka Park but to buy out all the various leasehold interests wasn’t cheap. Dalymount was even more expensive. I think between the two of them it cost €4-5 million.

“The intention going in, from both clubs, was that it was better to have one good stadium with two clubs housed in it.”

Shels, following the supporter-led campaign, scrapped the original DCC plan to sell Tolka Park to help fund a ground-sharing agreement with Bohemians in the new Dalymount. Bohs are happy to go it alone in partnership with DCC, reviving a bygone terrace era with a four-sided enclosed ground holding 8,000 supporters.

“DDC has its funding in place for Dalymount and it all depends on what comes out of [the Government’s second iteration of the] Large Scale Sport Infrastructure Fund (LSSIF). It is likely to be a €40 million project and I would expect the Government, through that fund, to come up with €20-25 million.”

And the rest can be covered by DCC? “Yes.”

Shakespeare is fully cognisant of the housing shortage and homelessness epidemic that continues to impact lives in Dublin, never mind the embarrassing state of football facilities in Ireland compared with the lowest tier of competitive European football nations.

“There are a lot of hands out. This is where hard decisions need to be taken. Originally when [the LSSIF] was mooted it was a €50 million pot and the projects that had been talked about were Dalymount, Páirc Tailteann and the RDS. It was largely the three big field sports, to improve three stadiums.

“Things are very expensive now, construction costs,” Shakespeare admitted, “although there are signs that commodity prices have moderated but you don’t really have a price until there is a tender and the market prices it.

“We are on target, specifically with Dalymount, to hit our May deadline this year to have a scheme that is designed and ready to go for Part 8 planning permission, which is the local authority applying to itself, so it is a decision of the elected members. It is a defined 20-week process, non-appealable to An Bord Pleanála, so we will get it to that point.

“We’ll have a nice tidy stadium,” he believes, “I’ve always been of the view that 8,000 stuffed to the rafters turns tickets into currency. You get a better vibe out of it than a 15,000 stadium that is a quarter full.

“If you build it, they will come.”

However, Shakespeare does not see the large-scale fund releasing €20-25 million to ensure Dalymount is finished, as Bohs hope, by February 2026.

“As it is, no. We are probably the only entity to have drawn money down. DCC got €918,000 for the design.

“We listened to Bohemian football club, and stopped listening to Shelbourne football club because they decided they wanted nothing to do with it and they were going to saddle their bags to Tolka Park.”

Thank you.

can you or anyone else explain the meaning of this paragraph-

“However, Shakespeare does not see the large-scale fund releasing €20-25 million to ensure Dalymount is finished, as Bohs hope, by February 2026.”

There is no guaranteed funding till when exactly?

my own opinion is that I think save tolka is scuttled, I’m angry about it but it’s a lost cause.

im also angry that dalymount will only have a capacity of 8k. It’s a dreadfully unambitious plan. The idea that a 15k capacity stadium would only be a quarter full is a load of fcuking b*llocks in my opinion. So just build a 12k if you are worried about it being too big for purpose

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement