Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

There's no real "running away to something better" - different area only means you are forced to deal with a different shhitt show, is all. There is no Utopia to be found these days. Entire world's gone mad (especially with greed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,552 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is the temple bar...which is notorious as a tourist trap and not reflective of Dublin in general.

There was an article about it recently...every person they interviewed was told not to go by people as it was a rip off...but went anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,552 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Plus the north island had a pretty big earthquake recently and new zealand has a history of them, it also had a cyclone I think recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I can't imagine being 50 years old on a working holiday visa, working short contracts, no long term job on a working holiday visa and possibly having to house share because you can't afford to rent by yourself. That's all ok when you're young but at 50. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So you lived in the states and that didn't work out either. TBH you're coming accross as someone who is desperately unhappy. Genuinely I would suggest that you speak openly to someone about how you feel because if you think upping sticks again is going to improve your lot then you may be in for a rude awakening.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

...but the government is not a left wing government!

It continuously relies on private investment while putting nowhere near enough back into vital services. That is not left wing. It's nowhere near left wing.

Being 'left-wing' doesn't just mean having progressive ideas on the likes of same-sex marraige and abortion. It's how you manage the economy and how you invest in public services.

This government is overly reliant on FDI and a low corporation tax (a very right-wing measure) in order to make sure the books are kept afloat. It favours private business over the welfare of the citizens.

How would you rate the state of the public services right now? The HSE? CAMHS? Schools (particularly in Dublin)? Gardai? Governments (pretty much involving Fine Gael and the back-end of FF/Greens pre-2011) all reduced these services and they tried to take so much back from the people that needed them. Now, 10-15 years later, we're seeing the pay-off for that. Creaking public services, a property market which is even putting off people from working for the large multi-nationals in Dublin.

There is not a hope in hell this government is centre-left. It's absolute bullsh*t and it's only designed for people to have a go at the lefties, again. Because the lefties are the fault for everything despite there being no left-wing government ever.

'Unlimited immigration' ffs. Scaremongering nonsense imported from the likes of the Republicans in the US and Farage in the UK.

People who say this have never been outside of the Western World.

Anyone who thinks that asylum seeking/refugees into Ireland isn't at crisis levels needs their head checked.

So many are arriving we can't even give them a bed to sleep in.

I'm not anti immigration. But I can see that whatever we are currently doing is failing completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Spent a few months there...

I hated it, everything required a car, charity shops everywhere, visible poverty, very difficult to find a pub to have a quiet pint in, price of alcohol was very high, pay was good, people were awful(proper racist sh!t bags, towards Asians & Indigenous), hospitals very good, food incredibly expensive...

I enjoy that I can eat locally raised meat here in Ireland for half the price than in OZ(currency adjusted for of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

What countries have political systems that give the average person more of a say in how money is spent and more accountability please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What year is that graphic from? Noonan hasn't been Finance minister since 2017, abnd there have been a couple of budgets since

'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

You think they're heading here for the weather? Hahahaha

They're here for the free stuff, nothing more. Ireland is a soft touch.

We are one of the least corrupt nations on Earth so cut out that bs.

Make no mistake, if we weren't part of the EU, we'd have the living standards of the 1980s. More hyperbole from you.

Housing, lack of and cost of are 80% of this country's problems right now. The door needs to be shut on these economic migrants right now. We don't need, want or can afford them. Not our problem.

Taxes are too high here. The cut off of 40k is criminally low. Needs to be 55k. I earned 53k last year, 18k of that was taken by the government in taxes. Criminal.

As bad as our government right now are, Sinn Fein would ruin this country given the chance. Better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Total tax take for 2022 on an income of €53,000 is €14,232. That's as a single adult with no deductions. Not sure how you managed to give the government nearly 4k more than that?

Source: PWC Tax Calculator

BIK. Basically punishing me for having free healthcare at zero cost to the government. Also, I'm a single adult. Punish them more.

Bertie and Flynn are 15+ years ago. Irrelevant.

Independents like who? The idiot Paul Murphy? The clowns from Kerry? Who are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Your company is spending €8,000 a year on your health insurance? Maybe I'm crazy but that seems excessive. I'm in my 30's and I don't pay anywhere near 4 figures for mine never mind many multiples of that. Now, I don't have any medical conditions and the cover I'm paying for isn't great but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We all change...not talking you personally but in general...we get it! You lived in Australia. I returned from abroad in 2019 and quickly became very self conscious of not saying "in x" because it was usually not relevant to the story anyway. Just get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And storing up future trouble for both them and society at large.

Housing large numbers of mainly men with nothing to do all day, from differing cultures and religions cheek by jowl won't end like a multicultural fairy tale.

• Advertisement

That’s because most people pay feck all tax and benefit from high tax. They should do a survey just with people who actually contribute.

edit: typo Benidorm was supposed to be benefit

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Anyone who pays a cent of tax is contributing.

State of you throwing your nose up at anyone else who you deem to be beneath you.

You know there’s more to tax than income tax, right?

Benidorm?

Wait till you hear about what Irish men get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Bsharp

First World problems are still problems to the individuals concerned. If you're lucky enough to be able to jet off to experience Australia then go for it. Nothing to lose by the sounds of it.

Lived there for a good few years, fantastic place to live when young and care free, less so to settle down as your career progresses and parents get older. All the usual societal issues crop up.

I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy house without an undesirable mortgage anywhere I wanted to live Melbourne or Sydney. I can afford one in a nice part of Dublin. They're only better cities to live if you can afford it. Most people can't, and have the same struggles we do here. So you should probably avoid New South Wales or Victoria; very much out of the frying pan and into the fire based off your current perspective.

Western Australia is possibly the way to go given you're in construction and the partner is a primary teacher.

Distances are big so for construction workers a lot of daylight hours can be spent commuting which takes away from the lifestyle element. As you head for site management the work hours get longer again so consider this carefully when choosing between bigger cities or more regional locations.

Different states have different rules for assessing primary teaching qualifications. Make sure your partners qualifications can be recognised before heading over or their salary will be relatively smaller than what it is now when costs and taxes are factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Your tax numbers make no sense, do a tax return & get a nice refund, basic tax calculator will tell you you paid min 4000 too much, assuming your numbers are right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How about Switzerland? Hear good things and closer to home...

You’re throwing your nose up at people who want to leave to better there lives. And no, a cent of tax isn’t contributing, you’re a net drain.

Also attack the post not the poster. “State of you”? Really?

Sorry they was a typo, corrected.

And of course this old chestnut. There is plenty more than income tax. But someone paying 20% vat on something they buy with money they’re given isn’t contributing. It’s just slightly reducing the net drain.

• Advertisement

You’ll have no objection to exemptions to VAT and excise duties for low earners then?

Advertisement