Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I don't know to be honest. But you could get leave to remain like (I think) Khambule.

We don't really do forceable deportations..

And besides once they are in and organised, they can just leave and become "undocumented"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Very little details on who exactly this guy is, he just arrived 10 years ago, is not even a citizen of this country and yet RTE and VM1 have him on regularly and just let him say whatever he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Those places have infrastructure also. And less of it.

it takes small amounts of population growth to break the infrastructure in small places.

I dont know the areas well enough to comment on whats happening on the ground and so I wont try to paint a picture, but the concept of immigration impacting small localities is real.

We probably need to remember that the numbers so far are exactly that. The numbers so far.

This war is going on for a few years yet in all probability.

65k Ukranians immgrating last year, maybe same again this year, maybe same again next year.

Then there is another war in Africa in 2025 and the cycle of immigration starts again.

A predecent is now set and the previous response to war or drought or famine which was to primarily send foreign aid isnt sufficient anymore.

We must house X amount of Africans fleeing war because we did it for the Ukranians 5 years ago.

So if you dont do it now for the Africans then you must be racist.

And wouldnt they have a point?

If we accept limiltess numbers of white european asylum seekers then we should do the same for black african people fleeing the same desctruction.

So, where does it end?

It should be ok to ask those questions and debate them.

The points above are just a handful of topics that the govt should be engaging with the public on.

Not turning their face away and shouting racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the refugees are being housed in hotels, refugee centres, army barracks, disused hospitals, holiday camps, off season student accommodation etc. Also, no precedent is being set, as the Ukrainian people are not being legally classed as "asylum seekers", (as they are from Europe and from an EU candidate state).

I totally agree that questions should be asked btw and that this entire topic should be debated. Nobody is denying for a moment that admitting 75,000 people to the country who are fleeing war doesn't present a whole host of challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Have the government asked any of their mates at the vulture funds if they have any spare rooms going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You’d think the bould Lucky was a diplomat of international stature from observing the deference he is shown by media here

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I know, he's an outrageous grifter like that guy from MASI and the woman who got an entire Black Studies department created for her in UCD but who likes to lecture us on how racist we are. Surely most people can see these chancers for what they are and it's just RTE propaganda stifling any debate or criticism? I remember Irish people used to have a sense of the absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Being housed in hotels and any other form of accom still places a strain on infrastructure.

Children still need to go to school, people need to visit doctors and dentists etc. So there is an impact on the local population. Again its something that people should be able to talk about.

Asylum seekers numbered over 13k in 2022 which is a record number and there could always be another war or disaster in an EU state. So a precedent has been set. Ireland has never taken in this volume of immigrants under Asylum or Refugee status in a single year.

But i agree. these things need to be talked about and plans put into place for the long term to manage these kinds of humanitarian disasters.

Im not sure at which point the govt will decide to engage with its public though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's hard to imagine that any version of an Irish government would have acted any differently in February - March 2022. You would have to think a SF-FF coalition or whatever would have responded in the exact same way to the Ukrainian refugee situation. It is of course far from ideal, when Ireland already has an accommodation crisis and then the war came out of nowhere. If there is any good to come out of it, it may well put a huge amount of focus going forward on the housing crisis 'and' on the asylum system in Ireland. Both of these were not in a good shape prior to Feb 2022, so perhaps the govt might be forced to address them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

lol are we still having people in dreamland saying that the far right will get in power here? I think you should compare the numbers from the march today with the protests that we see from far right scum. You'll see a major difference in size.

It'll be predominately NGO employees, lol. Did you see the poster? A lot of them will be paid to be there; it's literally their job to turn up. Therefor, regardless of turnout, we'll still have little idea how many people in Ireland genuinely support mass immigration.

Sure. Lets compare the numbers of that protest with the numbers from the bootlickers protests and we can have the conversation afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Almost no-one, outside of corporate interests and the NGO complex, is in favour of mass immigration.

Added to those two groups are the fools who have been brainwashed by them into believing that by supporting ruthless capitalism they are resisting a fabricated "Far Right".

No party runs on a platform of mass immigration.

The electorate votes against it on the rare opportunities it has to do so.

Mass immigration is, and always has been, deeply unpopular among the native populations of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

But there are supposed to be 74 k across the country perhaps the government are deliberately increasing the number or sending them to the culchies where they don't protest.

I just explained to you that the pro-mass immigration march is being organised by the NGOs. All of their logos are printed on the poster.

Because the numbers will mainly comprise of NGO employees turning up as per requirements of their job, what you said re: using it as some sort of metric for public support towards mass immigration makes no sense.

That's all I'm saying.

Lets compare the numbers and see. Plenty of regular folk will be there and you love to see it.

We always see the same bootlickers at the far right protests and they are getting paid for it (grifting) and it is their job (grifting). There will probably be more out tomorrow than all the bootlicker protests combined lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Are you going yourself?

Listening to Boyd Barrett is more of a standard anti government march with we hate racism sprinkled on top

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What is this crap?

An asylum seeker gets 38 euro a week, may have to share a dorm with 150 other people. Talk about spouting rubbish.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Why is Teni organizing a solidarity march for march for refugees today? Ukraine is right wing and a deeply christian nation. 85% of them identify as some form of Christian. It goes without saying Arab nations don't accept homesexuality , never mind transgenderism.

We see liberal left wing media inadvertently acknowledging Rwanda is not a safe place. Rwanda isn't an outlier. Fact of the matter is transgender people would not feel safe in the countries most of the refugees are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Presume you are referring to the smorgasbord of busman’s holiday of NGO hustlers that will descend on Dublin and create enough smug to power half the country for a week?

about as organic a turnout as you’re annual Davos get together

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I know the saying is "if you tell a lie long enough it becomes the truth" but I think that was before google, you're spouting shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

There is also the Swiss model which has the following:

"Declaration of the nullity of naturalisation where false information has been given or material facts have been concealed

If a person provides false information or conceals important facts in the naturalisation procedure, they run the risk that their naturalisation will be declared null and void. This is possible for up to eight years after naturalisation."

So as you can see there is European precedent for dealing with false asylum claims.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

What’s the point of passports if you can just rock up somewhere dump your documents and claim asylum? They represent a danger to the citizens our country. These chancers should be sent to military holding camps while they reject all claims due to the criminal act of destroying documents and deport them back, if the country of origin refuses them they should freeze all travel and any funding to these countries from the entire EU. Anything else is just rewarding people playing the asylum system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Don't they too have a system where locals need to approve of a person looking for citizenship? As in, the person would live in an area on what's essentially a trial period, and if they behaved well they'd be accepted, if they didn't they wouldn't.

Just like Ireland though, they've an NGO class trying to burn it all to the ground.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

We’ll I went to France last week for the weekend and stayed in a nice hotel , if I didn’t have a passport and claimed asylum I’d have to stay in an internment camp

Advertisement