Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"GAA star in alleged scam" Mod Note on page 1 and 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It was stated in 2011 in the Irish Times that the chalet was sold as part of the AIB agreement... but was it?...

Ex-Dragon's Swiss chalet sold as part of AIB case – The Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I saw a suggestion that the properties covered most of the outstanding €9 million. If that’s true, the report is fairly misleading.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Prime time have gone after <admin snip> and his sister now. I guess we can assume he won’t be on the lls with tubs soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭hawley

Was talking to someone who knows about the case and apparently a lot of the hurling community are worried about his mental health. He has gone to ground over the past few months.

• Advertisement

Correct, and they haven't made any link between <admin snip> and any other news story that may have appeared recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

If we were taking a couple of grand, I'd have sympathy for the guy.

A couple of million, and a 'write-off' I have less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

I have no idea why people are talking (earlier in the thread) about jail and illegality. The country is full of people (ordinary non-politicians too), probably including some on this thread, who failed to pay back or were late paying back loans/mortgages.

These are private matters between individuals and/or financial institutions. Usually people have assets stripped/repossessed and are, in reality, pinned to the wall in terms of financial flexibility, access to credit in the future etc. A write down sounds like a handy arrangement but you can be sure has plenty of strings attached. But this idea of "he didn't pay back money, put him in jail" is laughable.

There's another well-known sports person (who I mentioned before here and weirdly had the post deleted) whose situation seems analogous to this one which is why I mentioned it. This is someone who unfortunately for themselves and everyone concerned go in way too deep trying to get rich quick beyond their natural capacity to do so and crashed. To the best of my knowledge that person is still, and will remain at large.

Silly lazy inappropriate comparisons with politicians decades ago who were found guilty of corrupting the planning process are just that. There are laws which deal with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

Until recently they were staying in a hotel and holding court like royalty daily. All the while getting his bills paid by the county council and county gaa. Never seemed to be keeping the head down at all.

Only went to ground when gardai came knocking and stories started emerging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Why would the county council be paying his bills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Damien360

Public news in 2015 that DJ had a judgement for that sum of money from AIB. Amazing it took so long to play out. It's in the article below but what caught my eye was the chat he had with Ray Darcy. Read it and see what I mean. It's public information for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭tibruit

Of course. It`s not like the guy is living the high life up in the K Club and AIB are taking the hit. They did well to get 60k out of him on top of what was secured on the loans. It`s just more sensationalist journalism and it`s easy to kick someone who is already on the ground. Back in 06/07 banks were contacting customers and telling them they were underborrowed, when behind the scenes they knew the game was up. There`s one or two individuals with close associations to RTE who are still living in the original mansion after securing big debt write downs. That`s the real story as far as the banks go and their dealings with those individuals, not the guy who loses everything.

Once you know there is no possible way that you can repay the loan, then you stop making payments and try to hide income from the bank. I`m not defending the scammer in any way here but that`s probably how the whole scheme began....trying to survive on unofficial income. He obviously got very good at it.

Why is the year of the write down stated as 2017 in the rte article. But the agreement and property sales detailed in court go back to 2011 and 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The differ is codding people out of their money by telling them you have cancer.

That's not a regular loan.

Getting a write down of 9 million isn't the same as Johnny and Mary not being able to meet the financial repayment on a loan of 200k .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Aurelian

Would this mean all his properties were repossessed with him still then owing 60k ?

But the circumstances of the loan is a matter for civil law if a legal remedy is required.

And "it's not the same as Johnny and Mary"? Maybe not with regard to relatablility and public sympathy. But other than that it actually is kind of the same thing. Just the amounts and publicity differ. All these things end in settlements of some kind with banks taking a hit on that particular loan.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see the GAA star tried to get money from the GPA too. I don't think we've reached the bottom of the hole yet.

GAA star in fraud probe approached players' union the GPA for money - Independent.ie

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It was a bad debt that wasn't being paid. Banks, for all sorts of regulatory and accounting reasons, can't leave bad debts sitting out there on their balance sheets that they know have no hope of being paid. They have to be dealt with.

States in the article:

In 2017, a reporter from this newspaper contacted him about an alleged cancer diagnosis and got the following response by text: “I received a letter from you this morning. I hope you are well. Thank you for the sensitive words in it. It’s a matter that I want and need to keep private and don’t wish to have out in public. Thank you for your understanding.”

He has also experienced financial troubles, with a number of debt judgments being secured against him over the years

He has claimed to numerous individuals that he is suffering from a rare bone marrow cancer and needs to receive urgent care abroad in the US.

However, those who donated to him out of kindness now fear they may have been deceived. While claiming to be unable to afford the treatment himself, he was a regular at luxury hotels and golf courses.

“He was here pretty much every day up until very recently,” said a staff member at a golf resort. Another staff member at a five-star hotel said he was “a regular face” but they hadn’t seen him in around “six or seven months”.

Independent.ie has also learned that in recent years he was employed by a small business in the south-east but left after a short period.

He has also experienced financial troubles, with a number of debt judgments being secured against him over the years. The sports figure has no previous convictions.

In 2017, gardaí received intelligence on the individual due to concerns about mortgage documentation. However, it was never acted on or investigated.

Since the allegations of fraud emerged, many in his home county have been reluctant to speak out

A senior source said: “For it to be acted upon, someone would have had to make a formal complaint, but no formal complaint was ever made so it was never followed up.”

It is understood the intelligence was received by gardaí from the Revenue Commissioners.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm not totally familiar with debt write offs vs bankruptcy. I just can't understand with all this debt he simply didn't go to the UK for a year and do bankruptcy.

That newstalk guy did. Ivan Yates

Unless he didn't want the bankruptcy court looking into his finances too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where the hell did all that money go? I mean properties in the K club and mount Juliet didn’t really lose their value to that extent and if they were repossessed likely covered the loans outstanding. So where did it all go? Gambling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mod Edit

Warinng issued.

Thats not the over riding narrative though.

I know plenty of GAA folks from that part of the country and they are outraged. They have no time for him and havent for years. Yes he has some people codded but they are in the minority. Most people knew he was a parasite.

The GAA community, which i am part of are too quick at times to give members a pass for deplorable carry on based on mental health nonsense. And the higher your GAA profile the more you get away with. Donal Og and Tom Humphries comes to mind.

Its endemic in other sports too. Rory Best and Paddy Jackson.

Extremely likely that anyone who bought at a certain time in recent history would find themselves in significant negative equity especially when interest on loans is factored in. It's not just a question of comparing original market value and headline (before interest) amount owed to banks.

I know. But almost ten million?!

Properties in those places didn’t fall that much in value. Worst come to worst they could have been rented out At significant sums. The loans clearly weren’t being serviced at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

Story is "messy separation" but yeah would be right up there in terms of fiction.

Everything about this case is bizarre. Never knew ex gaa stars were so well treated in society.

Can be sure if I was separating the council wouldn't pay for my hotel room.

Personally I would be asking if there were any links or communication between his old county officials and the guys in the bank

Post edited by Notmything on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭tibruit

He went into it with nothing and came out of it with nothing. It was his partner that really took the hit, the Swiss chalet etc. It would be interesting to know how much AIB got out of him up to 2017 and why they kept stringing him along. Did he keep coming up with money and what was the source? Paddy Power doesn`t seem to have been too concerned about where Tony10 was getting his money from.

There's not just a GAA circle involved here. Golf circuit. High-end business directors and company owners. Himself and his ex were on the celebrity/business circuit.

Nothing adds up.

She went to the UK to live with her Mum. So, maybe, there was a bankruptcy filed. Maybe there has been a complication because of the divorce. Perhaps, money was hidden in other areas. Maybe that's why the revenue reported something to the gardai in 2017. But that was never pursued. It's all very strange.

• Advertisement

That is in itself a lazy logic.

There's a culture of fraud and greed at the heart of this. And banks and politicians and their loanees are all connected in this. There are people who took advantage of people in the pursuit of profit. Illegally. This is another instance of this culture, directly related to that period of time.

So, in 2017, despite selling the properties, there was still 6.4 million still unpaid. And that was the year <admin snip> had his debts written down.

You mentioned culture there a few times and that's fine. It's a nice broad descriptor of a time when a lot of people thought they could make a lot of money for doing nothing much.

The use of the word "illegally" in the middle of it is a different matter. If you are not suggesting illegality in this case I'm not sure what its relevance is. Has illegality been proven?

"a time when a lot of people thought they could make a lot of money for doing nothing much."

That's very specific. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Is there are reason the <admin snip> and scam article are been linked. If not its difficult to see who is writing about which.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They are not being linked. Most of the recent posts are re the RTE link about the AIB write down involving <admin snip>.

A fairly jesuitical distinction. Really convincing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Warning issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Is this headline not just pure sensationalism? A loan of 9.5 million secured against 7.8 million properties. Unless he managed to retain those properties, that's nowhere near a 99% writedown.

Plus, the story is 6 years old, hardly "news". It really smacks of kicking a man when he's down.

Is this the kind of rubbish that we're funding our State broadcaster for?

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caoimhin19

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

<admin snip> has yet to comment on the story - but Mr Richmond said he was not aware of any other write downs of that size at a State-owned bank.

“Whilst yet the State have an effective ownership they didn’t have policy direction over the bank,” he told RTE's 'Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin' show.

But he added: “Anyone reading that story overnight, it is extremely worrying, and personally I’d like to see AIB come before the Finance Committee to lay out exactly the nature of this and indeed address the question ‘were there other write downs?’ and to explain and to have a debate.”

DJ Carey debt write-down: Minister calls for AIB to answer questions over deal on €9.5m debt - Independent.ie

They say one of the places Quinn hid his money was in Switzerland. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I see the newspapers have very cleverly started to run two stories with no apparent link on the face of it. One with the former GAA star scam story.

And another with how a former GAA star named paid only 60k of a 9m debt to AIB. Also mentioned in the Dail.

Obviously there is no evidence that the two stories are linked. Nor does this post does not imply they are linked. I am just pointing out the media reporting strategies.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭benneca1

This is turning into a lynching, absolutely no regard for the constitutional rights of an as yet unnamed and not yet charged individual. I am surprised that the thread was let run this long. While I don’t condone any illegality we have a system in order to prevent the mob doing what is being done here without any context. The valley of the squinting windows lives on - If this all comes to nothing which it might as charges require evidence to support them rather than speculation I hope anyone who linked this to a named individual is well lawyered up :)

But you are one of the very few people here who have mentioned "illegality". Most people have discussed only issues already in the public domain.

That the prurient interest in the matter can be said to not reflect well on those discussing it is a fair enough comment but is very different to talking about "illegality". No great need to be "lawyered up" for such vague gossip I think. Unless you think the entire thing is made up and the person at the centre of it is in a very strong position of course. But I am surprised there have not been injunctions galore to prevent publication/discussion so far if that is the case.

Surely with your use of the phrase "very cleverly" at the start you are implying a link.

Otherwise why would you regard running the two stories without explicitly linking as "very clever"?

It's an old newspaper trick. I remember a story about a FF minister opening something being placed right beside a story which claimed a government minister had been named in a UK divorce case but it didn't reveal the name. But right beside it there he was opening a supermarket.

I'm not implying there is a link with the current stories but the newspapers clearly are.

I don't understand libel laws. Why can't a newspaper say x is being investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They can’t because innuendo is also a form of defamation. Then the alleged GAA star involved can say their reputation was damaged in the eyes of right thinking members of society. While there is nothing concrete the media will keep it as vague/subtle as possible - letting the readers draw their own conclusions.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement