Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I watched Bajcetic' showreel earlier. Seeing it like that you can really see him grow into the game. Early on it's all simple passes, then his tail goes up and his involvement increases, great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Only criticism of him is I think he should have released Bobby on his left instead of Salah on the right when he made the break around the 2:50 mark but I think at his age his automatic instinct would be to give it to Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Neymar has reportedly been offered to Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Newcastle with a view to a summer transfer. Imagine the drama that he'd bring to the Premier League. Chelsea are the only club mentioned who I think would be inclined to sign him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Probably one of the very last players I would ever want to see in the jersey.

Neymar is a luxury player that should be at the club, but it's not who we are, we're not going to pay massive wages for a bit of flair here and there, while many other elite clubs will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Obviously medical team found out what was up with this lad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Isn't there something about Neymar never being available (probably a bit of an exaggeration) around Feb/March to coincide with his sister's birthday?! Maybe it's a load of bo11ocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Google tells me his sister's birthday is March 11, transfermarkt tells me he played every game in March last year.

He was injured two of the three Marches before that, no records for the fourth.

He does seem massively injury prone though - and with the Premier League being a bit more physical than the French, I'm not sure that'll work out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Klopp wouldn't touch a player like Neymar, the drama wouldn't be worth the little bits of magic he might bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Injury prone player seems to be a plus for our recruitment team, they 've signed plenty of them recently, so that definitely wouldn't be a deterrent. I wouldn't touch him, all the talent in the world, but, too much of a circus around him, plus his wage demands would be astronomical.

• Administrators Posts: 54,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't think Neymar suits our style tbh, or Klopp's style to be more specific. Never struck me as the sort of player you'd get much of a pressing game out of.

It's not about the money, money, money

We don't need your money, money, money

We just wanna make the fans dance

Forget about the price tag

Ain't about the, uh, cha-ching, cha-ching

Ain't about the, yeah, ba-bling, ba-bling

Wanna make the fans dance

Forget about the price tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah yeah, absolutely zero interest in Neymar for a whole tonne of reasons. Irritating player to watch, thoroughly rubbish as a human being (do we really want someone who Nike dumped after he sexually harassed their staff?), and seems to be increasingly unprofessional with these massive parties in Paris during the season (as a somewhat pissed off Mbappe alluded to recently, saying they had a chance against Bayern as long as everyone on the team was well rested, healthy, and ate well). He also held huge parties in Brazil at a time when covid was rampant, and their death toll was the highest in the world too. Would honestly hate to see Neymar in a Liverpool shirt.

Man U selling out, literally, shaking their finger and City, and then hopping on the same gravy train.

We can never join that same train, as it's all a front, pawns used to make bids, but when you follow the trail, it all heads back to the same state owned investment fund, history selling out, and gone forever, once their in, they're never leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Thats fine as we could never possibly tempt such a player to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Bro in law is a United fan, doesn't know how to feel about it, knows they need the investment but is kind of torn as to where it is coming from...

If we had Arab sugar daddies bankrolling star players would you give a **** as to where the money comes from?

I kind of do to be honest, at the same time I'm not stupid and know Liverpool need that kind of investment and I'm not sure FSG are going to bankroll the next "rebuild" that we need them to do for Klopp...

It's a tough conundrum, and I don't know what way we move forward without serious investment in that midfield at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, to be honest if being run as an actual functioning entity means we can't always be competitive at the top end, I'm kind of ok with that. That's just my own feeling on it, as I know myself that my interest would start to drift off a bit once it stops feeling like something the club is doing, and starts feeling like something this random outsider is doing that the clubs name happens to be attached to.

But aside from anyone's personal morals or opinions, it's going to be a really big issue for the sport in general over the coming years - money in football has continuously ballooned over the past few decades, but it's been off the back of increasing TV and marketing revenue. Growing income has led to increased wages and transfer fees, and they've all grown together as a single enclosed system. When that increased spending starts coming from sources external to the sport and is no longer limited by the sports financial success, that's when you get a bubble, and it would be only a matter of time before things take a turn for the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

We have no idea where football in England is going. Genie has been out of the bottle since Abramovic took over Chelsea. These guys don’t give a toss about the fan in the locality. Some form of super league will be formed by all these owners. Games will be played in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Singapore, etc. The spineless people in the FA will be retired to the Caymans counting their money. It’s ****.

Sounds good on paper, but when the chips are down and the reality of a bid becomes formal from Qatar or similar, we'd not want to sell, the majority of the fans that is, once these type of state funded owners are in, they're in, they're not leaving, unless the choose to leave, and that would be by burning the place to the ground on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Don't see it as a tough decision. If we were to be sold to Qatari, Saudi-based interests etc, I'd be done with it. No interest in doing what City have done/how they've done it. United seem happy to go the same route. Would like to think we have more of a soul but, well, money talks. I'll start following Championship football instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

The future, although it may be a few years away, is a franchise not linked to a city. A super League would allow games played anywhere in the world. Not a good future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Out of interest, this whole Utd seem interested, what do you mean? It's the Glazers who decide, not really in the hands of the club or the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If we’re ever bought by despotic Middle Eastern owners that’s the end of Liverpool as a burning interest in my life. So yes, I absolutely would care.

I find it frankly scary how Utd fans I know can so quickly forget the savage criticisms they threw at the City project over the past 15 years.

Because if the club doesn’t mean anything or represent anything, just cheer on whichever team is best year to year. Or the one that has your favourite player. Or the most compelling narrative. Whatever, let’s stop pretending any of it matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

As soon as Liverpool join the ranks of these petrostate owned clubs then I’m done.

If the Qataris buy Utd and there’s 3 of them in the league my interest in the PL in general will be very little. It would be particularly ridiculous welcoming one in while another has been charged with over 100 breaches of the rules.

Disappointing to see so many Utd fans happy enough with the news too - would have thought fans of a club that isn’t desperate for Middle Eastern cash would have been more difficult to turn but apparently not.

United out spent everyone in Europe over last 10 years, so not as if they need Qatari ownership, as it stands United can complete for any player they choose to go for, they like to act like it's all someone else's fault, but Glazers spent over a Billion in last few year on players, no one comes close to that

So Radcliffe is better option, as the money the club generates is enough already, it's all about the right owner, same with Liverpool, although we do need to compete money wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We managed to get to where we were without ridiculous investment from the owners.

Admittedly a £150m Coutinho sale helped but I'm not sure we've ever been bankrolled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If the team were owned by one of the Middle East countries I would pack it in as well. In 2007 I was hoping for DIC to take over Liverpool, but it was a different time then and knowing what I know now my views have changed. I just couldn't bear the thought of having to defend the owners when they have done something terrible, which they will, because I am invested in one of their playthings to whiten their image. Now you could say I don't have to defend the owners in that case, but the amount of effort it will take to put out that I don't agree with them but then cheering their spending for the club would just be too much.

The mental gymnastics I would need to do to move from my vehement dislike of City and PSG and now Newcastle and the way they are owned to all of a sudden being proud and happy with the same, just would not be worth the hassle. It's not like they will miss me as a fan, spent very little at the official store and not been able to go to a match yet, but for my own peace of mind the hassle of being called a hypocrite by City/Newcastle fans and derided as a soulless whitewashing toy of a despotic regime by the rest of the clubs is just not worth the hassle. The fact that they would all be right is just more of a reason really.

To add to this, I don't mind flying Etihad or Emirates as they get me to where I need to go and I like Dubai as a destination for a holiday or stopover. But I can justify that by saying Singapore isn't much better for immigrants and no other country or airline is clean when it comes to history. But that is a transaction, supporting Liverpool is me investing into the club and its fortunes. At least that is how I justify it😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Yeah we were sent images of a supporters card that had a little barcode on them. Just scanned at the gate and went in. No hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You’d just have to let it go. Release yourself from it as a fan. Just watch football for entertainment purposes if you really can’t find other things to do.

The Man City project has been a spectacle. I have no interest joining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Just as a united fan and to give my opinion in here for some of ye that may be interested.

I have supported Manchester United the club for 35 years I follow them because of their history and how they were built up from the Munich Air disaster and when I go to a game now I mix and have fun with fellow fans from Manchester and all over.. its all part of being a fan of any club.

United are an English club and back then owned by English owners and supported by English fans, I didn't care back then that police and army from England were committing atrocities in my very own country they were murdering innocent people women and children and I am not going to change my mind on supporting the club now just because an owner that we can not control buys the club.

Majority of United fans will always support the club and if the new owners just leave the club run and finance itself and the Premier league in force financial fair play correctly then everything will be fine.

In terms of human rights for example in regards a person's sexual preferences I am fully confident that the rainbow devil's and other Manchester United supporters groups will demonstrate their views on this to new owners and will be supported by the majority of fans if it ends making even the smallest change in how things are done over there it can only be a good thing.

Buying Manchester United is not like buying psg, psg were a small club with no history and with buying United they wikk have the added scrutiny that brings.

If I had a choice of owners yes it would be sir Jim if he can afford to buy it but the fact that its going to end up going to highest bidder is purely the decision of current owners and nothing we as fans can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Former Newcastle player Atsu's body found under the rubble after the recent earthquake today. I imagine it will be marked at today's game. Rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Maybe the real Saudi despots who rebuilt our squad with blood money and dodgy financial deals were the friends we made along the way.

Jaysus.

The mental gymnastics have begun early.

I'm really hating this Arsenal collapse.

Really hoping they can turn this around and keep the race alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Shocking from them. Was really hoping they'd stay the course and win the PL this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭cmac2009

"if it ends making even the smallest change in how things are done over there it can only be a good thing" - absolutely staggering naivety. No surprise given the gist of your comment.

Have Villa fans stolen the Allez Allez Allez song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Liverpool stole it from Porto who stole it from Genoa, it's about as original as "oh when the ------ go marching in"

Oh right.

Couldn't make out the lyrics, just the tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Reading posts above about how if petro £££££££ take over their club they’re done watching them . I’m more or less done anyway but for different reasons. I’m sick that if i want to follow a club I need expensive tv subscriptions. BT , SKY , Amazon . They’ve priced themselves out of my means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I don't think I would stop supporting the team, it'd be a tough habit to break and also I don't hold that level of scrutiny to other services/products/companies I use. The spirit of the club can survive the ownership. I'd just stop financially supporting them, I think that is probably the most likely outcome for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Younger supporters (and those who haven't decided yet) aren't going to be bothered, thus the club will still have huge support.

I don't know how I would react until it actually happens, but I'd guess that European Cup qualification would be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Here's hoping for another 3 points this evening and get on a winning run for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nice to see the bench looking stronger again too, simply having one or two players that can come on and contribute in a positive way could make a huge difference.

We're due a comfortable game, hopefully today

• Advertisement
Advertisement