Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Get something on headed paper with a made up name and submit it to the bank. Use “to whom it may concern” and talk in standard business waffle.

They’re not going to ring the company to check. The bank won’t know if you’re laid off or change jobs or whatever as long as you can pay the mortgage.

I know I wouldn’t let a house sale and purchase go down because of paperwork inflexibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

We are Sale Agreed since mid January, and also approved with BOI. Everything is moving smoothly enough, we were the same and had hoped to get in ahead of the interest rate hike, but we have realised this week that its just not going to happen. We got our revised letter from the bank with the actual selling price, the valuation was done the week after sale agreed. Our solicitor advised waiting until she received the contract to arrange the survey so that the surveyor could review the documents received, the lang reg plan and any issues she wanted them to check out. I anticipated that the land reg map would likely only be a copy coming from the sellers solicitor so had ordered it myself and sent on to our surveyor. I had also reviewed and copied the old planning file in the council to save a bit of time. The sellers solicitor moved pretty quickly and got the contracts to our solicitor mid last week, and in fairness our solicitor reviewed immediately and sent a list of queries for our surveyor to check out. Our survey is happening today or tomorrow with a 1 weeks lead time to received the full report so we should have it by the end of next week, and hopefully sooner. We have MP lined up, just need to insert the start date, same for home insurance. But even with all of this, we are just not going to get in ahead of the 21st. You have to have all documents to BoI by 14th for their review, which only leaves a week. And if anything comes up in the survey and there is a need to go back to the seller, or do further research, it just doesnt leave any time unfortunately.

Also be aware that the bank will be incredibly busy with lots of people in the same position. For the last hike I couldnt get hold our our mortgage advisor for days with a query, so I am expecting the same this time. It is incredibly frustrating for sure, but we also want to give our solicitor time to review the survey report in full, and ensure that there are no issues in the contract etc. We checked with our solicitor and she said she was happy to go as quickly as possibly, but that it was unrealistic to think we could draw down by then. We also met the EA and seller at the house last week and the seller wants more time in order to move out, so we really we are caught. We are now hoping to be in by Easter, and continue to save ever penny while we wait.

Sorry its not more positive, just giving your our situation

I ordered our one directly from the land registry website, I think it was €20 and it came within a week. The ones that came with the contract were poor quality copies so felt it was best to have an original.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 psych77

Thanks. I know it’s not really realistic at this point. Our mortgage advisor is off today 😣. Wanted to see if Coujf progress stuff a bit more. My husband just got approximate costs from solicitor and they are nearly double what approximate costs were. What kind of prices are you being quoted?

We were quoted €1500 Professional Fees, asked around a few friends and seems to be a similar for standard purchase from what I can see. We are FTB so just purchase, no sale.

Then add VAT on the fees, postage costs, Standard Land Reg fees of €700 Land Registry fee to register Deed of Transfer in our name, €40 Land Reg update Folio, €150 searches, €175 Land Reg Deed of Mortgage, €10 Comm of Oaths, then add LPT apportionment and 1% stamp duty on sale price.  

I find it hard to get our advisor too, and sending emails seems to be pointless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi folks

moving to loan offer stage on a new build development…

one of the steps is that we have a bank evaluation completed

however the estate is not yet completed, completion is expected April May.

i understand a final evaluation is completed before draw down however how do we get past this part ? Seems like a catch 22 given we can’t evaluate it until it’s built/completed

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Have you spoken with your solicitor. For a sale to be "bound" not only do you have to sign contracts but both parties have to receive a signed copy. Get your solicitor to hold contract until bank issue is sorted. Until buyers have copy the sale isnt bound. Also check your solicitor has a clause in the contract to say the sale wont go ahead if bank decides not to release funds. Its normally in most contracts but lately estate agents are pushing for it to be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The valuer does a drive by and certifies that the house spec advertised is in line with similiar property sales in the area for the price. A second valuation will be required for drawdown. The valuer that did mine reused the same template for drawdown as for the loan offer stage when the ground works were only being done (same photo of foundation with no finished house!) and the bank didn't even query it so long as they signed off that it was worth what was being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curgar

Yeah we have a clause in the purchase subject to loan offer but it's not in the sale. Basically if the bank don't follow through with the offer we will lose our house and have to find something to rent.

Apparently all banks are asking for this for anyone in tech companies now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You'll do two evaluations.

First is a preliminary one to move you to the next stage.

Second is just before drawdown to confirm the house is completed to spec. It's just a drive by. Chances are the same estate agent is doing a few houses in the estate and just copy-pastes the form. Easy 150 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

And this still rocks on… apparently they’re in negotiations with the Revenue over the taxes and penalties due…

it now almost a year since this place was advertised for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

• Registered Users Posts: 22 psych77

Got the advisor today. He will try get loan of offer out before he goes abroad till Tuesday 😨

We are Sale Agreed, and just got a call from our Surveyor that there are planning irregularities with the house. Basically it was built in the 40s (exempt development by the council) and a comprehensive extension built in the early 70s, by a previous owner. The extension drawings, as granted planning permission, had a dining room (pitched roof extension) and flat roof garage beside it, but that whole section is now a pitched roof and is a larger room. There is also a porch at the rear of the house, which isnt on the drawings. There are also sheds not on the drawings. And some of the windows/doors are not where they are shown.

Now the drawing are from the early 70s is incredibly basic, hand drawn by the applicant himself (not the current owner).

The Sellers Solicitor has already sent the Contract and it included the planning permission for the extension, and also a Letter from an architect in the mid 80s (when the current owner purchased the house) certifying that it was largely compliant.

Surveyor is now saying it is likely retention is needed here. The house has been for sale for over a year, the previous buyers pulled out and I am starting to wonder if this is why. Surely if the seller knew this would be an issue he would have gone and got it sorted at this stage?

Will the seller argue that the compliant letter supplied with the contact is sufficient here? I know that if our solicitor cant confirm it is compliant it will affect our mortgage.

It is utterly frustrating and disappointing, I am really hoping there is a solution to this. We are not in a chain, but equally we dont want to wait months and months either.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive been sale agreed since the end of last year on a place but have been agonizing over how to word a letter that would get me the furniture and appliances, must have written 10 different drafts over the last few months and chickened out every time without sending it, I didnt want to look too interested in case they stuck me for another 6-7 grand or something because I probably would pay up, its really nicely furnished with a million little nice touches everywhere.

Woke up to an email this morning from the estate agent saying the vendor wanted to inquire if they could just walk away and leave me with all contents in exchange for me clearing out the shed and a bit of rubbish in the attic etc as they were extremely busy and no longer in the area. I very calmly replied that that would be acceptable but I was whooping around the room, such a weight off my shoulders. They sounded embarassed!

That is so much free stuff Im in shock, every single room furnished to high standard, new Samsung appliances in the kitchen (lovely big fridgefreezer with the ice cube dispenser on the door, Samsung washer, drier and dishwasher), 55" tv, 4 heavy pine double beds and all the wardrobe/bedside tables to go with them, 2 couches, 2 coffee tables, dining room and kitchen tables and chairs, conservatory and patio furniture, piles of expensive looking pots/pans/crockery/cutlery, shed full of handtools/garden tools/strimmers/wheelbarrow/ladders and a massive lawnmower, theres a rowing machine and weightset in the dining room ffs... Theres even a guitar, mine now! And so many lamps, lamps everywhere, and lovely potted plants in expensive looking ceramic pot things...

Ill have to get a steamer and probably professional cleaners in and fill a couple of skips because I am a bit icky about secondhand stuff but holy crap that is a lot of work off my plate, cant believe it! If I dont get this place now it will actually kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I recently bought a house that was advertised as "attic conversion ready".

Finally got the builder in to do the conversion and he told me the ceiling height is too low to be considered a bedroom. It's going to be about 10cm lower than the minimum, so cannot be considered a habitable room. I'm fuming about this. Fair enough that it won't affect day to day living, but I can't advertise this as a bedroom if I ever go to sell the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dubliner10

Also in the tech sector and looking to include it in the contract. Is this a bank requirement as well now? If yes, might be easier to point that to my seller’s solicitor. Could you share any links as well if you have. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Unfortunately estate agents get away with saying what they like to sell a house. The ad for the house we bought said the windows were pvc when they were clearly aluminium (obviously I could see this when I viewed it) but still, frustrating. The buyer has to do their own fact checking basically and use their surveyor and solicitor to the max to check things out, as these are the ones that are working for the buyer and paid by the buyer. Estate agents paid by the seller to sell.

As you say, won't affect daily living and most people can see if an attic conversion is advertised as an "office" that it is pretty much a bedroom if willing to use it in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

That is hilarious, you definitely practiced the law of attraction and all the good stuff became yours. Class.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 35 southofthelee

Ceiling height is just one factor. Another is means of access- if it’s a Stira only job then it will be classed as storage. Any stairs will need to meet regs also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭This is it

Signing contracts on Monday, solicitor advising about 4 weeks between vendor signing, getting the last few bits together and then drawing down. We need to give notice to our landlord, 6 weeks notice, but solicitor is saying we should wait until we draw down before giving notice just in case there are issues.

We have underwritten AIP and loan offer for the specific property, all checks complete. I'm sure there are times when an issue could arise but it would kill me to pay €1650 in rent for April and already have our keys in mid March. Delays would be fine since we have family we could stay with, I'm thinking I'll just give the 6 weeks notice now and risk it.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

If we were living in a more normal rental situation, I'd be with you and say 'hand in your notice now'. But if you hand in your notice and, God forbid, there is some major delay, how long might you have to live with family? How difficult would it be to find another equivalent rental? Plus, if things did drag on / fall through and you started another rental, how long would it be before you could hand in your notice?

Yep, I'm just hopeful nothing will happen, though probably naive. We both have family close so even weeks delay would be fine, it's a complete fall through that would be a disaster.

House is empty, the owner has migrated to Australia so no issue there, mortgage should be fine, AIP and loan offer sorted, survey done, valuation done... Ugh. Really torn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could you talk to landlord and say you’d pay by week if delayed? Or are they in rush to re rent?

Post edited by pc7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

Are we expecting a decent increase in the number of houses up for sale once we hit March/April?

Yeah, he's a decent lad so I might try have a chat with him and see what he thinks. Stil leaning towards giving notice but I'll see how that goes.

I went sale agreed last Friday, after a loooong, stop-start search. By yesterday, already had my lender's valuation done, and my formal loan offer through from Avant. A bit surprised at how quickly that went! Feels a great relief to be past the point (hopefully) of needing my bank statements to be ready for inspection, my broker says they might just ask for updated payslips at the point of drawdown.

I now have the world and its mother trying to sell me mortgage premium protection insurance...

Delighted to hear. Good for you.

I am sale agreed since Monday this week. Was talking to my solicitor yesterday evening said she hasn't even got the sales advice notice from the Estate Agent yet. Said she usually gets its straight away they must be waiting for it from the vendor.

The vendors lawyer isn't even involved yet so hoping this is not the start of a long messy process.

You are doing great by comparison. Fair play.

Ha - there are plenty of twists and turns to come for both of us, I'm sure, so you might overtake me yet! Very best of luck with it all.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

So its all kicking off today for me after a week of frustration after going sale agreed.

Got the sales advice notice from the vendor first thing this morning.

Then immediately afterwards got confirm of my offer from TSB. I had given them the last doc they requested last Wednesday and they said it would be two weeks before I would hear, was shocked and delighted.

Going to go with them as their 5 year fixed term is much more reasonable at 3.7% versus AIB 4.20%.

BOI are such a shambles with their obtuse pedantic nonsense I just messaged them to say I had two approvals and for them to close the file.

My solicitor who I am going to call Law Dog as she is absolutely chomping at the bit messaged me saying she was getting tings entrain. She said she had dealt with the vendors solicitor before on a personal injury or maybe some sort of negligence matter and they were brilliant but she wasn't sure about conveyancing, but at least it gives me some comfort.

I was beside myself with worry all weekend and then all this positive news this morning.

Hope all of you out there with worries gets some soul food for the soul this week!

Advertisement