Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Three certainties in life

Death

Taxes

Bundee to Munster rumours that go nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Connolly motors kept him here with a speed van's dream

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

I don't oppse about Aki' s leaving to Munster. In this season, He looked apparently has been down in speed into the support play.Also he look at only Ireland not Conncht.(this may be my false suspition) On the other hand, Munster desperately needs good ceter. R.Scanell and Goggin are good but excellent and C. Farrel' futuer is unknown,so it hires Alex Nankivell(Maori AB) who fought against Ireland last summer without any impressiion except some handling errors. So Munster want experieced ctb. If they want some mutual trade for him, Connacht accept it with getting approriate player (for example,M.Harey or S.Daly or some younger prospects). This is business to future.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

On the craggy pod the referred to Buckleys contract extension until 2025.....did I miss that news? Can't see it on their website or socials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Munster have signed Alex Nankivell, which (hopefully) means that Bundee is not heading south. Your point about his on pitch performance is fair, but Bundee is the cultural heartbeat of Connacht rugby. We need him, but also need him to be fully invested and supportive of the new coaching staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS ZEBRE PARMA

Saturday 18th February, 15:05 Irish time @ Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (218)

14.Diarmuid Kilgallen (14)

13. Tom Farrell (93)

12. Cathal Forde (8)

11. John Porch (73)

10. Jack Carty (193) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (167)

1. Denis Buckley (224)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (16)

3. Jack Aungier (44)

4. Josh Murphy (12)

5. Niall Murray (49)

6. Cian Prendergast (39)

7. Conor Oliver (56)

8. Jarrad Butler (108)

16. Eoin de Buitléar *

17. Jordan Duggan (35)

18. Sam Illo (7)

19. Darragh Murray (6)

20. Shamus Hurley-Langton (13)

21. Kieran Marmion (225)

22. Tom Daly (74)

23. Adam Byrne (5)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Bit like Bundee I don't think they officially announced it yet but imagine its true seeing as they were chatting to Buckley in the press conference.

They've a good few extensions to hold off on announcing until season ticket renewals start

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Very much believe we can make URC quarter finals. Connacht is such a better team that started out this season so I'm really hopeful we can do really well. Some of our more experienced players have really stood up this year and some exciting new talent is very obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

5 games left and I reckon Connacht should be targeting 4 wins.

Wins against Zebre Dragons Edinburgh and Cardiff should hopefully leave Connacht not needing anything away to Glasgow in the final round to sneak top 8.

It's worth noting that top 7 will be needed for European qualification (no Welsh team in top 8) and that might be a step too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Munsters last three games are at home to Glasgow and two games down in South Africa against the sharks and stormers with another trip to South Africa in there with champions cup.

Ulster have Sharks and Cardiff away and Bulls, Dragons and Edinburgh at home and with the form they’re in could see them lose 3 or 4 of those.

Post edited by Wegians89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I expect Ulster to win their 3 remaining home games and lose 2 away games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tv coverage is desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

BP after 32 minutes for Connacht. Absolutely gorgeous try from a quick throw in to secure it!

Lads what has happened to TOH? He's had a fantastic season after about 4 poor years back to back. Fair **** to him.

Connacht managed to score an even more beautiful try than their BP try!

13-31 to Connacht with 1 minutes until half time.

Conceded a woeful try but bounced back almost immediately. A very professional half. DTM has been clinical with a hat-trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Bonus point wrapped up well before half time.

The most interesting thing to take out of that half was that you can do a food tour as part of your match day experience. Sounds rather wonderful.

Nice DDT on Oliver there. Jake the Snake would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Poor defending, this game is not over yet.

• Advertisement

Even by Connacht standards this is a pretty spectacular collapse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

This is worse than Brive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

They managed to put a gloss on the scoreline with a couple of more tries. 52-34 with 2 minutes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Like a lot of Connacht’s weaker areas, restarts have been a problem for about five years now. Have to wonder what exactly is being coached.

It was a very weak performance but I think it's good to have one of those from time to time. You get the result and learn from it at the same time. I doubt we will as rubbish (or at least I hope so) in our next game

Again TOH and JB have been our best players. Where have they been?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

If connacht continue this defence, they'll be looser against Glasgow, Edinburgh, and even Cardiff.That's Terrible. No one was evaluated by this match because Zebre was too weak.

That was a massive bit of fortune that we weren't playing a full strength side (who lost every match so far this season). We benefitted under Friend from not having good South African sides and also had a huge stroke of fortune reaching our first Champions Cup knockouts despite losing 75% of our pool games.

A fresh pair of eyes could do wonders for this team. We have one of our best ever group of players and they're better than these embarrassing defeats away to Newcastle. There's very few professional sides that you still wouldn't have full confidence in closing out a win if they were 18 points plus to the good.

Once again Niall Murray refused to be sucked into the panic and led like a forward with a decade more experience than he has. You could tell every head dropped bar his during that meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

OK....so the following teams I don't think we can catch or pass:

Ulster

Munster

Leinster

Glasgow

Stormers

Sharks

Bulls

Only thing that could let us in is a Bulls or Munster collapse but I don't think either will realistically happen.

That means we're fighting for 8th with Cardiff and Edinburgh. If we win the two games against those two teams that should be enough. Both games at home so team should be really up for them!!

Downside is HC for next years looks very very unlikely :(

Edit: looking more closely I can't see Edinburgh winning too many more and Cardiff could win all their remaining games. Still means we will need to beat both with a few bonus points thrown in along the way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Sure but the problem is Connacht don’t learn. Restarts have been an issue for years. Conceded seven from one in the first half today, no adjustments at half time, conceded another seven in the second half and very fortunate it wasn’t 14.

The same issues remaining for years is a shocking indictment on the coaching staff.

Advertisement