Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

Car warranty Feb 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

VW new car warranty is only 36 months from registration which was late 2019. It probably only has the battery/drivetrain warranty left at this stage.

I wouldn’t be too concerned, they don’t seem to give any bother. Bjorn has done battery degradation tests on a few of them on YT. Results were impressive compared to similar age Korean cars.

And car covered for a year (Feb 2024) by a dealer:

• Advertisement

Have you just recently bought the car from a VW Dealer to say it has a 1 year warranty until February 2024 or is there an extended warranty option available now with VW ? If just bought, why are you selling so soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Basilio - it doesn't show anywhere on your receipt / contract that the car is covered until Feb 2024, or am I missing something?

Nice car, BTW the eGolf. Much nicer and way more upmarket than the ID.3, which is simply an econobox. Nothing wrong with that, my first EV was also an econobox. But it's not to the same level of quality interior that the Golfs have been for the last several generations.

I was searching for a new EV, test-drove MG4 (did not like it), missed few bargains in NI. One day on my way to work visited local VW dealer and was told a clean e-Golf arriving as trad-in against Tesla. In few days went for a walk with my wife and coincidentally was offered that Golf for a test drive. After a moment I closed the door and started driving simply fell in love with the Golf. Wife did not drive it herself on the day.

So after quick negotiations and considering condition/mileage decision was made to buy (impulse buying?). After driving Golf for few days she discovered Ioniq suited her driving style better. She does not like sporty leather seats, the way car is not showing battery charge in percents like Ioniq did. So little things you just get used to.

I love Handling, Sound system, overall feel and condition of the Golf which was owned by somebody who was keeping it in prestin condition. Cleanliness of the vehicle needs to be seen to be appreciated! This is not a post valet car, it simply did not need any scrubbing/polishing as was not abused at the first place.

Yes, I did not disclose the exact date, but it will be shared with next owner.

If it’s of any help, battery % in an eGolf can be got instantly by using the VW ID app on your phone. The seats could also be easily swapped for any other Golf 7 or 7.5 seats as they are all interchangeable. If it still has to be sold, would the VW dealer not buy it back ?

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for this inside. Car was sold and dealer is informed in case somebody is looking to purchase. Why change seats if nothing wrong with them? It is not about a seats. Person driving the vehicle simply not enjoying her overall experience. I have no issues with the vehicle, quite opposite, I do like it. Who orders the music - probably person who pays for it?

It is like if somebody was using Android phone and friend suggests you switch to an Iphone. You buy clean, well loked after phone with a warranty from a reputable retailer. After using it for a week you decide go back to Android. Is there anything wrong with the Ipone? Nothing, it is probably better then your next android you gonna buy. You simply used to the navigation and little things most do not care or not willing to adapt.

Post edited by Basilio on

Should be an easy sale with that that used approved type warranty in place. You should add the details to your DD ad. It will differentiate your car from similarly priced cars with no warranty at all.

The warranty is mentioned in the Add, what differentiate my car from similarly priced is the fact it is spotless. Wrapped in protected covering all over, incl mirrors and roof.

Advertised price is negotiable, especially if buyer mentions this forum. Thanks for advise. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

That's a lovely car @Basilio .

I've always loved the Golfs, but I've never driven one. Can't even remember sitting in one if I'm honest. They've always just been a timelessly, good-looking car.

What sort of range would you get? I know conditions, heavy foot, etc.

I rented ICE Golf in Poland back in 2019 and after driving over 1600kms using adaptive cruise control absolutely loved it. Somebody would suggest to buy a new MG4 for a similar budget but I would disagree unless you need a bigger range. Different experience driving high-spec Executive Edition model EV e-Golf. It adds the following to the standard specification: ‘Vienna’ leather upholstery, 17” Madrid alloy wheels, LED rear lights, keyless entry, rear view camera and ‘Active Info Display’. It even has a chilled glow box.

This Golf was sold from a dealership in July 2020 so it is not even 3 years on the road.

Mixed driving at current temperatures averages 15kWh/100km which realistically returns 195-200km. Did not try it on long motorway journeys yet. So for somebody who is driving locally or needs a second family car this is balanced price/condition ratio IMHO.

Post edited by Basilio on

eGolf drives well and is a nice place to be in. It's pretty efficient for a non-ground up BEV and if I remember right, the WLTP range is about 200km, but obviously you won't get that at 120km/h GPS speed. If I remember right, CCS charging is maxing out under 50kW, so not the best car for lots of long distance travelling. It's also a bit slow (for an EV) away from the lights

It's a big step up in luxury / premium from econoboxes like Ioniq, Leaf, ID.3 or MG4. Also you wouldn't know it's an EV from the outside apart from a few tiny tell tale signs. Some owners enjoyed that bit!

For €28k, you'd also nearly be in a same age, also still under manufacturer's warranty, Tesla Model 3 though these days. Hard to compete against that as it's in a different league

Agree to all this, just Golf`s asking price is 20% cheaper from the lowest priced 2019 Tesla Model3 SR+ with 95,000km versus 23,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Would that be considered a decent enough buy, or could it be a typo?

25k on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Must be a 2/3 typo. Underpriced by at least 10k. If they’ll sell it for that, run over there now.

• Advertisement

Indeed. But it's a race to the bottom with many Model 3 owners very keen to pick up their Model Y in the next couple of weeks, or months. Some of them will sell for €28k. Even though they might not know it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Is that price for a 2019 sr+? What do you think would be a decent price for a 2019/2020 LR model? Looking at DD there and not too many going for under €40k. Am starting to get itchy feet with Leaf as range has dropped below 100km and am using smax more often for longer journeys. Only hitch is 2 teenagers wanting to learn to drive so head is saying hold off until they are up to speed, plenty of scratches on Leaf already so wouldn't fret if a few more were added

If I were in the market for a LR, I'd aim for €33k. Again, nothing advertised for anywhere near that value, but time it right, negotiate hard and you might well get there. Now is not a good time, wait another few weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Key to remember that "listed for" =/= "going for"

Plenty of Tesla listings on DD for ages at those 40k prices, because the ones that sell are gone! (they were cheaper!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

The prices are totally unrealistic, across the board. An M3 price plunge, for used, is as many have said- definitely incoming.

Markets in a state of flux, DD is littered with “dreamers” both dealers and private, who think they can get more than 32k for an almost 3 year old, entry level base spec ID3, sometimes higher, while Tesla disrupters, give an opportunity for a brand new M3 for 45 k.

A 4 year old M3, should be going for something similar to 2020 ID 3 used “asking” prices. Once the M3 price plunge happens, its likely to follow with VW EV’s, as the used M3’s will likely drop to below those used ID3’s currently overinflated, used prices. People will notice this, and say- wait a minute.

Appreciate Tesla is not for everyone, but those used ID3 prices make zero sense, and it can only be artificial- pricing(aka meaningless versus to actual selling price)for now, at least. And there is also, the new facelifted ID3 being launched next week, and onsale by years end.

The “going for” is definitely way less, than asking price, on DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Carzone in my case but I got mine for in the region of 3 k less then what the dealer sought originally.

This was before the EV prices got silly with the war and supply chain issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Yeah, one person from cork with a 222 model 3 on DD has said no stupid offers in the ad. Very tempted to message him to point out the stupid asking price.

Apart from the dreamers, the other thing that annoys me is the number of M3s up where they did a really poor job vacuuming the carpet or didn't bother. Or where they have left things like a bottle of water in the car. All things you can see past, but better presentation inspires confidence - it is almost as if they don't think they will actually sell the car but putting it up just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree, @Killer K , on the pricing. However I don't really spend much time cleaning a car before selling it.

Why? Well the first thing I do when I buy a car is book it in for a valet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

sold my 2022 september m3 today with 3k km on it, costing me 4k to change to a model y with white seats so got a good price, had it on done deal / adverts for about 30 days, was getting stupid offers of low 30s and 36k, garages were offering 38k for it as it's 47k new.

Was strange the last week was when all the serious and proper offers came in, got asking price in the end but had to listen to alot of people asking stupid questions like if it had a sunroof

• Advertisement

You did very well!

But I'd say somehow you got lucky or found a buyer not so aware of the current market. I hope it's not someone on here reading this 😂

A Model Y (in black or white) with white seats is a bit over €48k or so, right? So you got over €44k for your Model 3? That's pretty crazy when you can buy a brand new one for same. At a time when very few people are actually buying brand new Model 3, as the Model Y is better value for money and will have lower depreciation, because of being better value and because it's better specced, bigger, more practical and a more popular form factor.

Advertisement