Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

I notice you keep repeating this soft "it's not really a pressing issue for most people.." narrative. As somebody stated earlier, the truth is that very few people want mass immigration into their own areas. It's not just the working class who object.

Why do you think the more affluent areas have taken very few, if any, asylum seekers? Don't believe the "because the buildings are too expensive to rent in wealthy areas" nonsense. The government are practically offering out blank cheques for this. If those areas really wanted to come together and help, they would. But they don't. Why do you think this is?

Back in 2000, the residents of Ballsbridge made the government U-Turn on a center in that area. The people of Achill did something similar in the past. What you're seeing in the likes of East Wall (busloads of migrant men being dropped off at night) simply won't happen in wealthier places like Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Killiney, Dalkey, Foxrock etc. Why is this the case? Ask yourself that question honestly.

The answer is: because those residents don't want them in their own neighbourhoods.

You might claim most people are nonchalant about this topic, but if a few bus loads of male migrants ever got accommodated at a building in Dalkey village, I can guarantee you the people of the town would immediately take legal action to have the center closed down.

"A reception centre for asylum-seekers in the affluent Dublin suburb of Ballsbridge has been closed after a Government climbdown in the face of legal action by residents. The 50-bedroom former guest house on Pembroke Road was shut down in the past week following a High Court challenge by a residents' group. It is also a blow to the Government's policy to accommodate asylum-seekers in working, middle and upper class areas of Dublin to ensure there is no discrimination".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only thing that is odd is that point is being made because it is utter nonsense.

They were marching for people fleeing the tyranny and human rights abuses of those countries.

The same 80 odd loons that will show up in the march tomorrow wouldn't be too keen on women's or minority rights though, maybe they should head to those countries as they would be of similar mind set. Everyone's a winner. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You clearly havent a clue what you are talking about. The vast majority of that 6bn is spent on education, healthcare, disability services, sport

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What I'm say is that it's much easier to march for something when the establishment and media is fully behind you and has labeled the other side as racists and effectively a basket of deplorables.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't think there's a true political solution to it, Boggles. I believe they're all too beholden to the likes of the E.U and other external influences. Varadkar even tried to confirm this by saying it was E.U law dictating the large immigration numbers, and how we didn't have a choice (which is a lie, as we do indeed have an opt-out as per the Amsterdam Treaty).

I think any party who have realistic chances of getting into power are still going to give our money to these waste-of-space NGOs to tell us how "racist" we all are 🙄

How would you label the Nationalist Party and the Irexit loons?

Racist deplorables would be kind.

Crowd size estimation is hard and I wasn't in town today but it's worth noting that the road in front of the CH is about 10m wide and the distance from the loop line to the centre of the CH is about 100m

While the entire crowd isn't photographed, a 50k attendance would be cheek by jowl back to O'Connell bridge.

• Advertisement

They're wasting money in all of those areas. Not just lobbying groups.

You never answered my question, btw: Is the Muslim guy (Pakistan) I play football with "far-right" for his strongly opposing views on what's represented in your profile pic?

If you fail to answer this, then I can only assume you have an agenda against Irish people, specifically, whom you consider "far-right". Which is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You wouldn't catch Tommy Robinson involved in things like that...right?

Indeed. Teachers teaching gives you education. Social care workers are giving personal care to people; washing them, dressing them, helping them into wheelchairs....

Terry Pratchet

Right ok lets remove all the schools, community centres, sports halls, disability centres. Close them all down to save 8bn 😅

Terry Pratchet

I don't see why it matters what I think, but I don't like Barrett or the NP and it's fairly clear they have plenty of racists within their ranks. I would not vote NP.

The problem is that there are plenty of people concerned about migration policy that are not racists but are getting tarred with this brush. It's being used a a catch all to close down discussion. Clinton did this with Trumps soft supporters and and it backfired spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's reports (which I will always take with a pinch of salt) that it stretched around to O'Connell street.

I don't see why it matters what I think, but I don't like Barrett or the NP and it's fairly clear they have plenty of racists within their ranks. I would not vote NP.

And the Irexit loons?

Clinton did this with Trumps soft supporters and and it backfired spectacularly.

Yeah she got that one wrong.

Well apart from the attempted coup.

Actually she was spot on, wasn't she?

Again mild in her description if anything.

I think you're confused. The entire education budget, for example, is not covered under that figure 😄 Education alone was 9.2B in 2021.

I also find it funny that you're so afraid to label a Muslim opposed to LGBT+ as "far-right", but have no problem doing so for an Irish person. That is both cowardly and racist.

Guys, I'm getting off now, and nothing against anybody at this march personally. But the fact remains that the majority of the people there were NGO employees or affiliates. Look at the flags, if nothing else 😄 There's over 10k NGOs in this country. All employees of those organisations would have been firmly instructed that "poor numbers today = less chance of funding in future". They were almost certainly nearly all in attendance, and were payed for doing so.

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble, but this is reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭trashcan

Naturalisation and asylum claims are two different things. There are similar provisions in the Irish citizenship Act regarding the revocation of naturalisation where it has been obtained by giving false information.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't vote irexit either but I don't see what my personal position has to do with anything.

As for Trump, far more people voted for him in 16 than turned out at the insurrection. That's the problem with casting moderates as extremists - it turns them to extremists.

Do instead of deafly denouncing those with concerns as racists, perhaps instead listen to them. Listen to their concerns about pressure on services and cultural clashes and change. And maybe, just maybe a bit of equality and make the wealthy, prosperous areas carry their fair share. Let them feel the 4 week wait for the GP, the lack of school places etc. These are not caused by migration true, but they are exacerbated by it.

The wealthy are dumping on the poor and are calling them racists for not being happy about it.

I have listened to them, the 2 "parties" that are organising the vast majority of the protests are a bunch of hate mongering racist bigots.

Same with a very large portion of Trump supporters. Again Hilary was spot on and should never apologised for telling the truth.

But but but the media did it is still comedy gold though. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

What I clearly meant was that any worthy cause, like that of immigrants' rights is going to be weakened when people like McAlliskey are leading the parade.

I am fully aware of how bone-headed the "far right" crowd are. They are a tiny minority and people like the Irish Times seem to be totally paranoid about them. The far left is just as great a threat to Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The media itself has highlighted the fact that working class areas have been disproportionally affected by refugee placements and why middle class areas are seeing far less of them. Only this week there was plenty of discussion (on RTE News and elsewhere) as to why the former Baggot Street Hospital in Dublin could not be used and we've seen similar questions about the former Jurys Hotel in Ballsbridge.

It's not as if the protest groups have a monopoly on this angle : even the national media are asking questions of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is 5000 people here that we have no idea who they really are, I don't know what you are smoking if you think that is any way regulated.

Terry Pratchet

Nearly 4000 schools come under this X billion for NGOs. Im not confused. I read the data. You clearly didnt.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement

It was an article on Newstalk based on information they got from the Department of Justice, I don't know how to post it here but if you google it the article comes up.

Advertisement