Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Alisson absolutely the man of the match. I guess we just expect those game-saving stops from him at this stage. He's such a clutch player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Think we play twice before Newcastle play again,Spurs will probably be 4th by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

He's the best in the world by an absolute street that save from Wilson is outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

The lack of control mentioned in the interview with VanDijk and Trent. We all know that comes from a midfield that under performs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

3 of the next 5 league games at home,

2 away are Palace , and Bournemouth , two struggling sides, like that matters. But we should be winning all 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Solid performance, only team to beat Newcastle this season and we've done it twice.

Fabinho still looks like the worst player in the pitch

Eddie Howe is the first manager to lose 10 consecutive league meetings with Liverpool😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we're honest, that still wasn't good enough. But being clinical with our only chances in the first 20 was key.

Too porous in midfield, but VVD was immense.

Hopefully it gives confidence for this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Huge result in the race for top 4. None of the teams going for it are flying - Spurs are absolutely all over the place, and Newcastle are after dropping a few levels - so it really comes down to who can put a bit of a run together. 'Pool in a great position for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we get top 4 after the head start we've given everyone again ... lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Remember early kloppball? "If they score 5 we score 6". With Allison playing out of his skin, VVD back and the forward options we have, we could start ignoring the midfield altogether.

Wonder who the third midfielder will be against Real? Bajcetic and Hendo look fairly nailed on after coming off on the hour mark. Will he bring in the energy of Keita or Elliott maybe, or stick with the trio that have gotten the back to back wins, even with Fabinho still looking shaky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Alli will score to get us through (again 😂)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Great result but a poor performance.

Nice to see Rafa's looking well. Not a bad time to be on talking tactics on TV with a few managerial spots up for grabs, and a few more likely opening up before long.

If I were Leeds chairman I'd be giving him a bell this evening.

Be a good appointment for them alright, and you'd imagine he'd be fairly open to taking it since it's reasonably close to home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Newcastle had conceded 13 all season before today, we had 2 good goals and a third chance that forced a red card mistake within 22 minutes.

We didn't do much after that but we also didn't have to, we played the game out and didn't concede.

• Advertisement

Did get the feeling that not getting too wrecked or injured before Tuesday night was on player's minds alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Could be jota with the amount of pressing/tracking he does also not bad going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Didn't see the game, great to get the result, from reading back over the comments it looks like the performance wasn't the best and that Fabinho was poor again. Was hoping we'd have a good performance, but, important to get the result, hopefully we can build on these two wins and get some momentum going. Still a tough ask to get top 4, but, hard to believe we still have an outside chance, which is actually mental when you think how poor we've been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Actually wouldn’t be a bad shout to play two up front and Jota as a pressing 10 hounding their defensive mid. Hard to say who that’ll be at this point with Tchouameni badly out of form, but they tend to see a fair bit of possession in the build up so having a constant pressure on that position could be a key to victory. Man City did it to Fabinho in the league match at the Etihad towards the end of last season and it completely nullified us in the first half.

We obviously play nothing like Man City, especially this season, but the Real game is one where we have to think a bit more about stifling them than we usually would, given our lack of control in midfield.

I’d go with the same back four as today, Henderson, Bajcetic and Keita as a midfield three with Jota sitting just ahead of them, behind Salah and ideally Nunez but if he’s not fit, I’d stick with Gakpo over Bobby.

Our home form is 2pts off Arsenal

Our away form is 17pts off Arsenal

So we know where out problems lay, our points per game, away from home, is the same as bottom club Southampton, 1.00

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

Man City concede more goals in the 76th- 90th time frame than they score, which is not the City of last few years. Haaland most likely the reason, he'll score goals, typically 3 or 4 against the minnows in the league, but won't score many against the top teams, or defend from the front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That was some bang to the head the Chelsea captain got, the fecking noise of the impact.

Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery.

On different note, we haven't signed a Southampton player in while and should definitely go in for WardProwse just for those freekicks alone. We did it in the past for Charlie Adams.

Yeah it was sickening. Also don't disrespect JWP by comparing him to Charlie Adam good lord Liverpools days of signing turkeys like Adam are long over. The banter days of Poulsen Konchesky Jovanivic Spearing Adam Voronin and I'm sure I've forgot a couple.

Charlie wasn't actually that bad, I think he's still actually playing in the Scottish prem which is incredible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Good luck to Karuis in the League Cup final next week!

Ive no sympathy for Pope myself, he's a cynical fvcker who plays fast and loose with the rules, so personally I'm delighted he's missing out on his big day.

There will be lots of LoLs and Bantz about Karuis during the week, but whatever about his onfield issues there has never been any suggestion he was anything other than a good pro during his time at Liverpool AFAIK. Big challenge for him, 5 years after the CL final and 2 years after his last game!

2 goals in 28 appearances confirms your opinion and there was me thinking he was a cult hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Good first half poor 2nd half. Fabinho again very poor. The midfield just can't cover the ground like before. Positive to see Nunez and Gakpo scoring though after a slow start Gakpo could be vital. I think if we start getting lads back we could sneak top 4 but midfield is still a massive worry.

3pts off 4th if we win our game in hand,😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The stick Karius gets is really unfair.

If you accept that the CL final performance was influenced by a pretty bad knock to the head, which I do, then you should be able to overlook that. After that, he was a perfectly decent keeper. He had a few mistakes him, but generally he was grand. And the grief he gets for his Instagram is disproportionate too.

I find it really sad how the last five years have gone for him and would love him to be a hero next weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Didn't see the game yesterday. How did VVD go on his comeback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

The injury to Nunez is a concern. If he isn't fit to play on Tuesday then we have lost a major threat and the balance of our team will shift the tie in Madrid's favour. Jota and Firmino both need minutes on the pitch to get sharp and I think the Champions League game is too soon for them to have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

I feel like the club and the fans really did leave Karius alone. Hope he has a great game on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

Weird game yesterday I had a feeling we'd get a result between Newcastle not being in great form and us half turning a corner against Everton.

The first half was brilliant counter attacking performance. Second half we looked like we were the team down a man. Can't go wrong with 6 points in the last two games and no goals conceded though.

Now we just have our European arch nemesis Madrid to deal with but I'm more confident than I was a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Karius absolutely **** the bed in the Champion League final, no two ways about it. Hope he has a decent final next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can tell we won the thread is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Hopefully Nunez will be back straight away,we missed his chaos when he went off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Top 4 is on!

I wasn't able to watch the game with too much concentration last night as I was watching Paul Heaton sing about Gini Wijnaldum.

Great start but then sort of stopped and just played for the counter attacks. Some would say boring and not going for the jugular but I would say smart because they could rest their legs before the CL game on Tuesday. Also this is a team that has been lacking legs in recent months so it's no harm in saving them where possible. Alisson had some big saves to make but at the same time I'm nearly happier with the clean sheet than the extra goals. I think that will do the team more good. While it's also nice to see Gakpo on the scoresheet and Nunez doing Nunez things.

Hopefully the Nunez injury is not a bad one.

The lads can't come in with the "Nunez is a donkey and why did we sign Gakpo" posts after the two guys coming up with the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I wonder if there's any direct link to the likes of bajčetić, gakpo and Nunez looking solid, combined with Elliott not starting, that has performed a mini exorcism here......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nunez was a threat but even the way he took his goal had a huge element of fortune about it.

I won't be waxing lyrical just yet but in two games each of the front three have managed to goal involvements each which is progress.

I am dieing to get Bobby and Jota back in there for the longest time but the last week has made the manager's decision more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Also Karius **** the bed on loads of occasions for us.

The CL final was just the final straw.

Four goals at Bournemouth, palming a ball out to Victor Wanyama late on against Spurs at Anfield, they are just ones that come to mind.

I seem to remember a goal or two conceded late in our semi final win against Roma too which made the second leg nervier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He messed up plenty, but he had good games also,I hope for his sake he has a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Karius was a poor goalkeeper for us, always looked like conceding and didn't inspire any confidence whatsoever, he benefited hugely by playing most of his games after VVD signed for us, but, still rarely made any decent saves. He was at fault massively for the CL, if he was concussed he should have done the right thing for the team and come off.

I hope he does have a great game next week ( if picked) and I wish him all the best. but, won't be surprised if he makes a few mistakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement