Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

No need for me to invent opinions for you Francie, you have expressed plenty of them yourself and you were caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, I think you are correct that Behan said it sarcastically originally. A good starter for a debate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/behan-s-state-apology-1.627760

Stop diverting and going off on tangents Francie. You were caught out. It was you though who said "What they (unionists) have is better than being in a UI.". In other words, you admit that unionists would not have the same civil rights as catholics nationalists in a U.I.

If you want to start a thread on Gay Byrne, do so. Quote by a journalist : "Gay Byrne, still holding off whippersnappers like Pat Kenny, ignited a rumpus by suggesting that we should hand the country back to the queen of England with a letter of apology for the state it was in. And the country was in a state. At its worst in 1988 about 70,000 young Irish people were emigrating. Of the 40 or so in my class only three or four stayed at home."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Jesus this back and forth is tedious.

It's pretty obvious that Francie B was saying that Unionists (obviously) feel like what they have is better than Unification, he has clarified that is what he meant. Why persist with the tedious attempts to make it into a bizarre, 'gotcha'?

The number of these bloody threads that just degenerate into a bunch of people piling on Francie and making personal arguments towards him instead of addressing any actual points is ridiculous. It does absolutely nothing to encourage other voices in the debate (then the same crowd claim other voices are silent ergo they win, so I suppose it's working for you all in a way).

The quote from Behan was meant to be a satirical criticism of how this country was being run in the 50's. In Gay Byrne's time it was lack of employment and emigration etc. that prompted it's revival. It's a witty and sarky debate starter that could be used today as well, given we have broken records in lack of health and housing provision and homelessness. It's akin to asking should Australia be given back to the Aboriginals or America to the Native Americans. It's never gonna happen but it does provoke debate about the current status quo

That you believe it to be a serious proposal made by Byrne has been proven amply here by the expression of your own views of our history. I am sure there are a few more in the South who might like to be handed back.

P.S. It would be a great question to ask again when we come to the debate on the cost of a UI. We could take stock of how far we have come as a sovereign nation here and contrast it with how NI has fared under her highness and son.

• Advertisement

FrancieBrady:"We could take stock of how far we have come as a sovereign nation here and contrast it with how NI has fared under her highness and son."

Not as simple a comparison as you make out. For one think, the UK fought against Hitler and Nazism in WW2, and helped liberate the Nazi extermination camps. Ireland did not have the costs associated with that. The UK nearly bankrupted itself by the end of the war and was still paying loan back to the USA and Canada until Dec 2006. Glad someone stood up to Hitler in 1940, otherwise we would all be speaking German, those of us not Jewish or gypsies etc. And glad someone stood up to Russia in the cold war: Ireland did not have the costs associated with that either.

Secondly, the 26 counties did not suffer from a sustained terrorist campaign over decades, with almost daily bombings, destruction of thousands of economic targets, kidnappings and murders of industrialists / investors, destruction of its tourism industry etc. So not as simple as you think. However, since partition a lot more Irish people have migrated from Ireland to the UK than British people have come here. That says something. 😉

NI recorded a surplus up until the 1930's and has run a deficit since the mid 60's. The conflict/war did severe damage to the economy as all conflicts do but even after it being over for 25 years they still lag behind, almost 1 and a half times in GDP per head in 2016. Pretty stark.

We have done much better as a sovereign entity than they have as a part of the UK.

They (UK) should not have been paying so many hundreds of billions in to the EU so and we should not have got so much if we are that great. Of course GDP here in this country is skewered by multinationals laundering their profits through Ireland to pay as little tax as possible, we are looked on as an offshore tax haven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not understand what you are trying to say. Who are 'they'?

NI was a net recipient from the EU, but the UK have not delivered the 'levelling up' money since, and are only supplying less than 10% of the funding supplied by the EU programmes that were promised by the Brexiteers.

[Should that be Bexit=tears!]

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

**Mod Note**

Far too many post attacking the poster and not debating in good faith.

Cut it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The reason Northern Ireland lag behind is because of the terrible terrible record of the political parties in Northern Ireland.

If Northern Ireland had decent parties since the GFA agreement they would now be in a lot better situation.

Yet strangely at the moment the Republic is in the process of picking one of the biggest political failures in Northern Ireland, let see how far ahead we are in a few years.

No. You are not processing the data very well.

NI required a subvention from the mid 60's.

And has always lagged behind from 1950 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

So too do many local authorities areas in the Republic but I doubt you’d claim that independence was a bad idea for them or use it to justify them leaving the Republic.

Post edited by Kiteview on

Sorry, I don't understand the point being made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The point is that the fact Northern Ireland relies on subvention from the British government is not a good argument for unification on its own. In Ireland every county/local authority outside Dublin and Cork relies on subvention from the Central government. Basically Dublin and to a limited degree Cork funds the rest of the country. Nobody is arguing for independent Republic of Kerry/Mayo etc because they would be better off independent. They have always needed subvention and will probably always need it.

However that's nothing altogether unusual. Areas with higher population densities generally have more economic activity when compared to more rural areas with few exceptions due to stuff like mineral wealth etc. Arguably one of the most important features of any country is that more well areas are pay for less well off areas.

So in short that fact that Northern Ireland relies on subvention from the Central UK government is meaningless on its own and I'm stressing the on its own bit. Its something that happens in every country in the world.

But I never said it was an argument for unification on it's own.

Here is what I said:

It would be a great question to ask again when we come to the debate on the cost of a UI. We could take stock of how far we have come as a sovereign nation here and contrast it with how NI has fared under her highness and son.

There are arguments other than cost to be made for a UI, societal, health and food security etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Problem with this argument is that Kerry and Mayo were not historically successful parts of the island. Prior to partition, the north-east of the island, mainly Belfast, was the most economically successful corner of Ireland.

And after an unbroken line of Unionist Party governments required a subvention since the mid 60's and since. Claims that it was all the 'RA's fault are a tad spurious.

Sorry, I don't understand your point being made here re subventions.

Scotland, the north of England, Wales, the South West of England all require subvention too. The money in the UK is made in London and the south east and a liitle in the east of England.

Here in Ireland The 26 counties requires subvention too, we have borrowed not far off a 160 billion or thereabout over the past 16 years. It is not that long since we had to get a bailout from the EU,UK and IMF.

Are you suggesting here that the UK doesn't borrow or doesn't have debts?

UK general government gross debt was £2,436.7 billion at the end of Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2022, equivalent to 101.9% of gross domestic product (GDP).

We know sovereign countries have debts.

Scotland Wales and elsewhere can ask their own questions specific to their own circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The second part of your post hits the nail on the head in relation to the damage done to Northern Ireland by the terrorist campaign conducted by the PIRA. This has been further compounded by the childish sectarianists in the DUP and SF who have combined (not) to run the place since the GFA.

However, the kernel of truth in what Francie says is that the North (for whatever reason - Queen or SF) hasn't done as well as the South, but that becomes a double-edged sword for those wanting a united Ireland. Who in their right mind in the South would vote to take that burden on?

Essentially the United Irelanders can't have it both ways. If Northern Ireland is a basket case (as the United Irelanders make out), then a united Ireland will cost the southern taxpayer an awful lot of money to fix (which the United Irelanders deny). This is a huge hole in any argument for a united Ireland.

Curious point of view from Slugger again. The Slugger doth protest too much?

'There are now two camps of opinion. Some believe it shouldn’t matter and the citizens of the Republic will vote in favour – and we can argue the detail later. 

I am not aware of any significant 'camp' of opinion that says this.

A UI requires a detailed plan and that has been called for repeatedly by the principal supporters of Unity.

Of course the UK, like all western countries and most countries arounnd the world (possibly with the exception of oil rich middle eastern countries) borrow. However the point is most counties make most of their money around their capital city / main centre(s) of population. Especially bits that are closer to other countries for trade etc. Remote regions tend to do less well economically. In the Uk, London and the South East and to a lesses extent the East of England are the most viable parts : Scotland, the north of England, Wales, the South West of England and N Ireland all require subvention.

Nothing that strange about that. In the USA for example, while the USA itself borrow huge amounts of money, some states subsidize others.

California pays much more to the Federal Government than it gets back from them. The likes of Mississippi get subventions.  Because of federal programs, people in places like South Carolina and Mississippi are getting a helping hand not from their neighbours a few blocks away or in the next county over, but from residents of Delaware, Minnesota, Illinois, and Nebraska. 

Similarily the people of N.Ireland, Scotland, north of England, Cornwall etc get a helping hand from the tax payers of the South East of England, London etc.

Here in Ireland I supect because the multinationals and hi tech jobs and capital city jobs etc are mostly based in the east /near Dublin, and to a lesser extent Cork, the vast bulk of taxes in the country are paid in those counties and they probably subvent the likes of Roscommon etc (no offence to the people of Roscommon etc)

Just as an aside and maybe something you should be aware of. The Slugger had to edit that article to remove biased and common Slugger-agenda driven comments made by the author.

So are you saying now the subvention doesn't matter? What are you saying?

P.S. I didn't say the subvention was 'strange', I made the point that the most prosperous part of Ireland was driven to subvention by the mid 1960's under exclusive Unionist management and has required one since.

Subvention happens in most countries, it is not that unusual. Its not just N.Ireland, that gets it, it is  Scotland, the north of England, Wales, the South West of England, Mississippi...

I am not sure what your point is about the "Unionist" management of the N.Ireland economy up to the 1960s. Poor catholics in N Ireland had the exact same vote as poor protestants in the sixties and fifties etc.  The voting system there was not perfect by any means, but in the early / mid 20th century it was not perfect in many places - for example woman suffrage was not established until 1928 in Britain, 1944 in France, 1949 in Belgium, and 1971 in Switzerland. I think most people are agreed that Sinn Fein and the DUP are not great at working together, I think parties of the centre would be better for N. Ireland. Is you point about the pre-1960s NI government being so good for the economy that we should bring it back? I do not think so. For one thing, the NI economy for early / mid 20th century was built on ship building, heavy industry, textiles etc. Ship building etc has declined in most if not all western countries. So what is your point?

Our economy was built on agriculture. We diversified. The north failed to do that under Unionist rule and began to depend on the subvention which some Unionist politicians will proudly say is a reason to cherish the Union. Sad that they think that one way to perserve the 'Union' is to keep the north dependent on subsidy.

The north stagnated and fell behind under Unionist management, that is an undeniable fact.

Prompted by parties from the north the Irish government insisted and so far has prevailed to keep NI in the EU SM. If Unionism once again gets it's way the north will be exposed to the full rigours of Brexit and reach crisis point again.

My point is, would they fare better as a part of a UI where a single ideology cannot hold them back? Would they fare better in a union that does not have many other competing concerns that routinely sees Westminster throw NI under a bus in pursuit of it's own selfish interests?

Westminster has not thrown NI under a bus in pursuit of it's own selfish interests, it transfers billions there annually. Also, almost 1,200 international companies have invested in Northern Ireland. Over 70% of new inward investors in N.I. reinvest. The British government has always strived to invest and make N.I. prosper. The people who tried to block that were mosly the extremist Republicans who spent decades almost daily bombing "economic targets", kidnapping and murdering industrialists from overseas who invested in N.I. ...people like Thomas Niedermayer, Jeffery Agate etc etc. The IRA claimed that "Those involved in the management of the economy serve British interests. They represent and maintain economic interests which make the war necessary." In the IRA statement the PIRA described it as a war - who would invest or holidaty in a war zone. Incidentally, if it was really a war, then surely kneecappings and disappearances and torture were war crimes - were the people responsible for those ever investigated / punished?

It is more than hypocritical of extremist Republicans to complain about the state of the economy for many decades when it was their "armed struggle" of bombs and murders which destroyed investment, blew up people and buildings and vehicles, destroyed the tourism industry etc.

NI is currently in crisis precisely because Johnson lied to Unionists and promptly threw them under the bus.

This is fact.

• Advertisement

It was the EU, Irish government and Republicans who threw the business sector in N.I under a bus by dividing the UK / having the border down the Irish sea, with all the extra paperwork etc. They wanted to cause the UK as much difficulty as possible, as punishment for "brexit".

Johnson and the UK government gave and gives N.I. billions. The biggest crises in N.I. were caused by the decades of bombing "economic targets", the armed struggle etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement