Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dubliner10

Just got contracts on a new build. These are unconditional. Not sure why developers who make them unconditional if the house will be available for drawdown only after 6-7 months. Too much of a risk for buyers in this economy, with layoffs in a lot of companies. Anyone has been successful in getting this added in the past?

• Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You mean the subject to drawdown clause, right?

Sometimes developers agree to add it, sometimes they don't. If the developer says no, you either proceed or you pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Find it hard to listen to the far right commentary.

The far right seems to be people living beside asylum centers that spring up overnight or people who get evicted and complain about having nowhere to go. Or anyone questioning the policies regarding Albania and Georgia. Basically anyone who is poor and marginalized and not a wealthy business owner that might be affected by a downturn in tourist numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

These centers need to be built in D4 and other plush areas along with one beside every member of the government funny how something like this would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

IT story on IR rises will be more than was forecast.

Ms Schnabel’s comments helped push bets on the financial markets that the ECB may now cap its deposit rate at 3.75 per cent. That implies its main interest rate used for mortgages would peak at 4.25 per cent, up from 4 per cent previously. The main interest rate stands at 3 per cent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2023/02/18/mortgage-holders-to-endure-higher-interest-rates-as-ecb-focuses-on-battle-against-inflation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

That would bring the mortgage rates to 6% you'd imagine though I know there will be rates lower and higher based on ber, ltv etc. Such a massive change in 1 year. I think that'll make meeting repayments at 3.5x challenging when sensitised by further 2%. Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭DataDude

If you think mortgage rates will hit 6% soon, you should be looking to lock in the Avant 30 year fixed rate of 4.3% ASAP.

Even if you overpaid by 15% on a house you’d still be better off with the lower rate.

I guess it comes down to how long you would expect rates to remain 'elevated'. It seems that the penny is dropping over in the US that rates are not going to be coming down in the foreseeable future. ECB seems now to be following the Fed in earnest.

Thats my plan. But not sale agreed yet on any house so Id say summer before I would be drawing down. Im only working the 6% off what they are saying rates might rise to. Hopefully if Irish banks have lots of deposits they pay less on they may not need to get into 5-6% range. I really hope that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Lots of people seem to think that rates will go up temporarily and then back down to the close to 0% they were.

My understanding is that the rates will rise until inflation backs off and then fall to a higher semipermanent base rate of around 3%.

Can somebody recommend any videos or other resources where I can learn more about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

That argument might have worked this time last year, your probably better of to let the rate rises filter into downward prices now. They are going to come very fast and take 6 months to a year to fully affect price.

Rising rates with prices peaking due to the cumulative effect of years at 0% to - 0.5 is the absolute riskiest time to buy any building

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭combat14

Half of first-time buyers getting help from parents to step on property ladder

even more signs that the property market is dysfunctional similar to the bank of mam and dad syndrome from the last property crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭DataDude

If you believe 6% mortgage rates are the norm going forward (I don’t) and you still can get 4.3% 30 year now. You should buy now no matter what.

21% price drop + whatever the cost of your rent over mortgage is while you’re wait just to be back where you started while inflation is running rampant. It’s a no brainer.

(I don't) is the key phrase

Last year and 3 to 5 years prior was the optimum time to fix for 30 years, not now. Buying any asset especially those that haven't started there correction process and requires significant leverage to purchase would be extremely risky

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d mc

Are you sure you weren't getting the '148' figure from the daily price drops figure? At present there are 348 drops in Dublin alone - a total of 3,787 for sale in Dublin. So 9% of active listings have had a decrease in price. (total & percentage are coming soon).

Site not trying to be interesting - just a tool to assist people gauge the state of the market :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d mc

Just added a new section underneath a listing - if that property has been sold (officially, not just sale agreed). The property price registry details - along with any previous sales will be displayed (still a bit buggy for now, but give me a few weeks).

I find this guy very knowledgeable and he imparts what he knows in a relatively easy way to digest. It is US focused but he sometimes comments on the ECB. He doesn't see rates coming down anytime soon.

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/12/25/the-price-of-easy-money-now-coming-due/

Fine Gael concerned about debt deals, does seem a much better deal than what their junior minister got

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ApeEvolved

There is a real lack of understanding by people on what is happening. We could have higher rates for a very long time.

I was talking to a work colleague who is rushing to buy now "before rates get higher". There was a clear lack of understanding of just how much extra higher rates could possibly cost over lifetime of mortgage. People rushing out now are going to take a double hit, pay a high price for the property and likely be stuck on high rates for foreseeable.

We will be reading about this mess in the future, expect next property circus to be all about people unable to pay their debt or refusing to pay as their property value crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ApeEvolved

The system is rigged, apparently DJ Carey lives in a big mansion.

Why not, when you can get money for nothing.

• Advertisement

The Other Hand podcast covered it on most recent episode. They think rates will impact but they also stressed if its your forever home and can afford it there are often reasons to just go ahead. They just were keen to say make sure you stress test yourself and make sure can afford it etc. Their advice was kinda don't be in any rush. I think house prices will go down from back end of this year into next year but o big crash. Wont be cheaper for mortgage buyer as even if house cheaper mortgage payment still likely higher. Im planning on buying because I need a house now with space for kids.

It's got an 07/08 feel about it, red flags everywhere and we have pundits predicting everything from soft landing to no landing to goldilocks

The other hand podcast declared China uninvestable 4 months ago, its boomed ever since. Its all about timing

I'd be VERY wary of placing too much faith in that podcast. This is Jim Power after all and those of us old enough can remember his forecasts before the last crash.

Here is a clip of him debate with Morgan Kelly (starts about 4m40s in). If you still want to place faith in him fair enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6ZwqLePC0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭combat14

A €300,000 home loan, which would have cost just over €1,100 a month to finance over 30 years at an interest rate of 2%, would cost €1,600 a month to finance if that rate moved to 5%, according to calculations by the price comparison website, bonkers.ie.

That's a whopping €500 a month increase, adding considerably to the total cost of financing that loan.

another article appartenly predicting a soft landing despite mounting affordability issues - population growth and net immigration are frequently touted as reasons for ever upward house prices but who is going to be able to afford celtic tiger prices at 6+%

many markets including UK are predicting serious drops later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Many moons ago I wrote on this thread that at 4% interest rates there would be pain and at 6% there would be Armageddon. We're at the 4 and things seem to be holding up better than I would have predicted, although it is early.

I can't see a scenario in Ireland where the interest rate is 4-6% in order to fight high inflation and yet property prices are crashing. Also, for the sake of argument, let's say the it does come to pass that there is a 70s decade long inflation event, in this scenario has your friend's wages kept up with inflation and are they better or worse off in terms of what they are repaying for the house?

Sorry for the Sunday morning quiz mate, my last question to you is do you think it is possible that in 10-15 years time we could look back and think that people who bought property at the start of this inflationary event actually fluked the timing of their purchase perfectly, what would you make the odds of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭amacca

I think people tend to forget recent really low interest rates are more unusual than high ones in this country ...

I think Iremember interest rates were high in the run up to our last bubble and it didn't affect prices for a long long time.....until perhaps it did...a lot of people kept borrowing too much and paying too much ....until they didn't....

I don't think the prices come down here if and until there's a big collapse...I think all the powers that be will work to stop that happening and maintain prices as much as possible...they only come down when something external outside of their control happens that pulls the rug out from under those that control the levers...and even then there are a lot of factors that prevent a large collapse in prices, housing supply and rental costs due to lack of rental supply being significant factors.

I don't think interest rates of 4-6% cause much of a drop in house prices either....price stagnation maybe which ultimately might mean the price of the house reducing as the value of money reduces...

The only way to sustain it temporarily is to suffocate supply further and maintain buying at the top 15 to 20% of householders. This postpones the inevitable or creates the so called soft landing untill the next election. Renters continue to be sacrificed particularly those covering the full cost. The taxpayer will be bled to maintain rents at current levels.

The governments answer during the week is telling. Doubling down on demand side policies. The solution they propose is to further assist FTB in buying a home. There solution to high rents is homeownership.

This both increases prices and rents further or restricts the falls in periods of corrections. This will exacerbate the housing crisis. In effect it's vote buying, the most expensive kind from the parties that brought you the most expensive bank bailout, hospital, social housing, metro etc in the world.

As stated earlier it only postpones the inevitable and makes the crash when it comes worse for everyone

I am old enough to remember that and not jim power fan. More time for Chris Johns. Tbf the podcast is not predicting any big crash.

Im just looking at numbers. If you've couple on 50k each and they borrow 3.5x at 350k.

If last year say they could have got 2.5% but that moves to 4.5% by time they buy. That's 7k pa extra in mortgage repayments. They'd need 14k income rise / 14% as family to offset that and just absorb it.

Any houses closing now don't have the worst of the rates yet and went sale agreed back when rates were in 2's. So we won't have seen any impact yet from rate rises and likely won't until back end of year.

Im just saying its not straight forward and easy for people to just absorb rate rises and wage rises are not offsetting it.

Canada and Oz have ramped up the net immigration flows post Covid lockdowns as well.

Here is the latest on the Canadian property market:

Home sales in Canada plunged by 37% in January, compared to a year earlier, amid rising inventory. Home prices dropped by 0.5% in January from December, by 12.6% year-over-year, and by 17.8% from the peak in March 2022, the 10th month-to-month decline in a row, according to the Canada Composite Home Price Index by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA).

At C$713,700, the Composite Benchmark Index for all types of homes has now plunged by C$167,400 in 10 months to the lowest level since August 2021.

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/02/16/the-most-splendid-housing-bubbles-in-canada-february-update-on-the-housing-bust/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There will be a good chunk of people who had locked in fixed rates for the short/medium term who won't feel the pinch until that has to be rolled over or let float.

Advertisement