Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours rhododendron

Options
  • 18-02-2023 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

My neighbours have a rhododendron that is not being maintained and hasn’t been for probably 20 years. It has now consumed most of the garden and is probably 40m wide. Its at the point where it’s at the boundary now. Just wondering given the invasiveness of it is there any options open to me to try and compel them to deal with it. I know recommendation is to talk to them about it but that’s unfortunately not an option here.

Second part is how can I deal with it as it encroaches my garden. If I cut it back I don’t want to shred it and keep it on my property like I would with other clippings and not sure if it’s even allowed to put it in council compost bin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a single rhododendron, or a hedge/forest of them?

there's no way (that i know of) of compelling them to cut it back; if you only cut back and shredded what grew into your property on an annual basis, it might remain a small enough job that it's not onerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The maintenance regime for rhododendrons is DO NOTHING?

Why would your neighbour cut into it and stop it flowering for a couple of years?

Now if on the other hand this is Rhododendron ponticum, the invasive one, then there is nothing you can do, but it would be nice to see the back of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you are permitted to throw back the cuttings into their garden but I suspect you don't want to do that so think about killing it once it come through your boundary.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-rhododendrons-23315.html

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No you aren't permitted to "throw back the cuttings into their garden", iirc the wording is along the lines of that you are supposed to "offer" the cuttings back. However if the rhododendron is that big they probably won't even notice if you do push them back through the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I stand corrected! Thank you

Seems odd that you can be left with the cost of disposing of your neighbours crap

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

If it is Rhododendron ponticum just cut it back to the boundary. The cuttings themselves are not invasive so just shred them as normal or put them in the compost bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's unlikely to invade your garden but just trim any overhanging your garden if you wish. Treat the clippings like any others you have. You're way over reacting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose with all the nightmare scenarios of Japanese Knotweed and then finding that rhododendron (the wild one anyway) is invasive, and it taking over an entire garden, you could be excused for being a bit worried.

Pull up any seedlings and if it sends any suckers into your garden I would be inclined to cut them to the ground and put on some glyphosphate - even if the effect goes back to the plants next door it is unlikely to affect more than the single parent plant and by the sound of things next door won't even notice. Its no good just cutting back the suckers, once cut they will come again with renewed vigour.

You mention invasiveness. Only 1 type of rhododendron is invasive

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Cheers for the input. Thought I’d ask anyway in case there was any out there options

• Advertisement

I couldn’t say for definite. Flowers are the right colour and based on spread I think there’s a pretty good chance. Beyond that I wouldn’t be too sure what to look for to clarify. I can stick up a photo of a sprig tomorrow if anyone could confirm

If its spread like you say then the chances are its ponticum, but stick up a photo of it in flower if you remember so we can say for sure.

In "cultivation" it really isn't a problem weed plant as its easy enough to get rid of from a garden. It becomes a problem in the countryside because it easily out competes other plants and the easy control methods like bulldozing it just spread it.

as it is today. To be honest I’m probably just more annoyed at the prospect of having to keep cutting it back awry year. Highest point at the boundary now is about 20ft so not exactly easy each to clip back already so can only imagine how much fun it’ll be in another 5-10 years

No its not ponticum and its (sorry ROTFL) not even a rhododendron ;-)

Thats Cherry Laurel.

Edit> So you can check for yourself this is what you have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_laurocerasus

As a "hedge" it can really get out of hand. I've cleared up near acres of the stuff in over run gardens and it really is hard work. Best you can do is just run a hedge trimmer over your side fairly regularly. If its at 20 feet then it doesn't get much taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most of the issues are the same though, it spreads like mad, if you cut it back it encourages it. Possibly doesn't seed quite as enthusiastically as R. Ponticum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

We chopped the low branches off ours & it spends its time happily pretending to be a tree. Not sure how the neighbours would feel about midnight tree surgery though!

Thanks for clarifying. Clearly I’m not too green fingered either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Roundup - problem solved

It's illegal to kill another's plant.

Also roundup will not kill something that big. You'll end up with a defoliated section on your side and they'll know exactly what you did

• Advertisement
Advertisement