Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Is there any thread on boards that the begrudging ant immigration shower are not on! The gas thing is by doing so ye are making complete tits of yereselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

When the media pushes story's like this

you mean stories like this?

or this?

By absolutely any objective measure, this is a great place to live.

If the OP hasn't made a go of it despite being from a comfortable background and having a very well paid job, then maybe he needs to look closer to home as to why he's unhappy. Spoiler alert: it isn't the media or the Ukrainians or the publicans of Temple Bar.

Although I'm sure Australia is crying out for middle aged lads who think the world owes them a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

Government officials believe 60% of Ukrainians that come to Ireland will remain here after the war ends: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41055347.html

Also, "The Taoiseach said - we've taken in more Ukrainians per head than any other country in western Europe."

So, every EU country has taken in people from Ukraine, but Ireland has taken in more https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0212/1356143-cabinet-refugees/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

One of the biggest reasons people return is family. Its certainly not because of the country. Certain Irish citizens are paying extortionate rent, working their ass off. Other irish citizens just have no interest in working and thus, get free luxury apartments, medical cards, allowances and bonus galore. That BS is not tolerated in other countries. But here on 40k, which is very little, you're deemed so wealthy, that you can lose half your pay from that point...

Post edited by Murph85 on

The Government is about to decide on whether to extend the ban on private landlords evicting their tenants. As we are in the middle of a housing crisis, there is little doubt that they will extend the ban if only in a desperate attempt to keep up poll ratings now that their term is more than halfway expired.

Private landlords are departing the market in droves for very obvious reasons. They are being restricted to rent increases well below the rate of inflation and they can only recover possession for a very limited number of reasons anyway because of the recent laws enacted by the Government.

Anyone who has been a tenant for six months has become entitled to be considered as having a tenancy of indefinite duration. Unless you want to sell the property with vacant possession, you are obliged to continue the tenancy indefinitely subject to a few exceptions. These include that you want to use the property for a close member of your family. If you want vacant possession to upgrade the house, you have to offer it back to the tenant. Alternatively, you may need vacant possession to redevelop the house in which case you will have to get planning permission.

Rents are at record highs — so why are private landlords fleeing the market? ]

Where a house or apartment is let to accommodate a number of people, the tenant is legally entitled to substitute occupants and they, in turn, have a right to be regarded as tenants of indefinite duration. The landlord can only object to such a substitution if it can be shown that there is a reason to refuse tenant status to such a substitute.

In many cases, therefore, landlords are now faced with more or less permanent loss of the right to recover possession unless they want to sell the house with vacant possession.

This is where Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald and her housing spokesman, Eoin Ó Broin, enter stage left. They promise to amend the law so that the sale by a landlord of rented accommodation will, in future, have to be on the basis of a sale with sitting tenants of indefinite duration.

Anyone buying a property for letting purposes will be stuck with the tenants they inherit and be subject to further substitutions ad infinitum.

Tax breaks for landlords offering better terms to tenants should be considered, Cabinet advised ]

Coupled with a rent freeze which means that the value of rents is declining by 5 per cent every year at present, the various reforms already made and those promised by Sinn Féin leave rational small landlords of single premises with no choice but to get out of the letting market. They have little reason to hope that they will obtain a return on the market vale of their property.

Does this matter, you may well ask. Does it not mean that small private landlords will simply sell to people who want to own and live in the same house?

What it does mean is that those who, for one reason or another, cannot afford to buy their own homes and have to rent will find that the pool of rental properties is shrinking and rents of new lettings will inevitably rise.

Why landlords are selling up: Taxes, regulation and fear of a Sinn Féin government ]

In the case of a couple with two homes who want to live together, the option of renting out one home is extremely unattractive and akin to madness if things progress as planned politically.

There is a huge difference between a large commercial landlord acquiring a block of apartments and taking a 20-year view of its likely value as a long-term investment and a single dwelling often accidental landlord who lets a home fully furnished to a tenant carefully chosen by them.

The commercial landlord can deal with difficult tenants and can survive rental defaults.

A small landlord faced with insurance premiums reflecting rebuilding costs, local property tax bills, redecoration, fire alarms and extinguishers, repairs to white goods and furnishings, and the prospect of having to deal with tenants they never let to in the beginning, now realises that the Government is taking them for a ride – disposable casualties of failure to confront the consequences of a fast-growing population.

Offering small landlords accelerated depreciation on cookers and washing machines is a laughable response.

Be wary of crocodile tears of politicians over exit of private landlords ]

The exodus of landlords was as predictable as the consequences of banning bedsits 10 years ago.

The wonder of it all is that housing policy is still left in the hands of a department that has failed so abysmally to use its powers under the Planning and Development Acts and the Housing Acts to address the crisis we are in.

Why is that department allowing its Office of the Planning Regulator to dezone development land across the country – even in Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown? What is the economic effect of dezoning highly priced and scarce development land?

All the evidence is that our system of planning regulation is failing us. All the signs are that this Government is paddling in its housing canoe towards a foaming electoral Niagara.

The bit about it being madness a couple having two homes , but living together, renting out one of the homes. Is exactly why my folks dublin place is left vacant...

Maybe they could try building higher than five floors in Dublin to provide more homes, rather than charge extortionate tax and have rental conditions that no longer make it attractive to let out property...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Well done to that pub for charging €10 for a pint when there are f...ing idiots stupid enough to go in a pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So you are emigrating in solidarity with landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

The real reason this country has problems is because of the state.

For example Rent is high because the state taxes rental income at full whack and than regulates it too hard ~ RTB and HAP cause more problems than they solve and after all that the state than refuse to build enough social homes themselves while also introducing new building and planing regs that make house prices too high. Than add in high inward migration with zero planning behind it and you have the perfect storm.

For all of my adult life and regardless whoever was in power, whenever the state steps in to help they instead make a problem worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

I'd be in favour of reducing tax on rental income SLIGHTLY, but only very slightly, if and only if it was accompanied by a MASSIVE increase in tax on vacant properties. There are so many of them in my personal knowledge, lying around that it is a scandal in itself. And "safe to assume that many renters are paying at the marginal rate" elicits no sympathy.

You want your parents' tax take on a relatively effortless income generator to be cut so that somebody else working all hours at minimum wage takes up the slack?

Dry your eyes mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

if you really paid 18k tax on 53k then do a tax return & claim back a substantial overpayment due to you

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Well said.

Ireland has its problems but its still a great place to live.

People, scenery, stable political system, compassion, benign weather. Did I mention people. 😊

Well, When you compare us v our peers. Our low paid contribute nearly nothing in direct taxes... links to follow. There comes a point of diminishing returns with taxation. Some foreign high income earneds here pay less than the marginal rate, as it deemed too excessive for some, but its fine for the peasants...

What i want, is never happening in Ireland. Seizing large chunks of my wealth, to redistribute to waste and wasters...

Lpt should be significantly raised. They won't touch that though... let the middle and high income earners, who are in a significant voting minority, totally and disproportionately pay for the shitshow...

Thank you. Like I say. The government have made and continue tomake all the decisions in having a housing crisis. Not my parents and others leaving propety vacant due to government failure. In Dublin, there are no high rises... and they say they want to increase supply! Lol!

Post edited by Murph85 on

Housing education health the criminal justice system and the welfare state are the main areas where the state has left the people down badly.

We all have stories we can tell, stories that would you make you sad, angry, depressed .

For example, this story is 10 years old. My neighbour was raped by her ex husband very violently, he got 2 years and was released after 6 weeks. The only reason Anyone knew he was out was he was spotted in a pub in the Midlands. That's a true story and still angers me when I think about it.

The reason his sentence was so Lenient was because he plead guilty and he had a severe drink problem and he said he could not remember doing it.

That's Ireland for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It doesn`t surprise me that skilled and qualified young people are leaving. This is the logical consequence of the government`s interfering in the banking and housing sectors post 2008. All this meddling added 200 billion euro to our national debt and we have nothing but high house prices to show for it. We still owe the 200 billion though. Why wouldn`t people get the hell out of here? Even the migrants will leave once they realize they will be the ones to pay for our 240 billion euro bubble economy. We have always had the bum element in this country, content with life on the dole. Perhaps they will service that debt. What was the government thinking when they bailed out the banks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Brian Cowen, the worst Taoiseach we ever had was mostly responsible for the decision to bail out the banks. It appears he was too bullheaded and thick to listen to any sort of reason not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes, young qualified people only started leaving after 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

€9.5mlion debt, written off for only €60k.

And some poor fecker probably will lose their house or business for being €50k in debt.

Yes, some country we live in.

DJ Carey debt write-down: Minister calls for AIB to answer questions over deal on €9.5m debt

https://www.independent.ie/news/dj-carey-debt-write-down-minister-calls-for-aib-to-answer-questions-over-deal-on-95m-debt-42348422.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s grand when you’re young.

Moving to another country when you’re a little older is hard imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Not in your 20’s.

I moved there when I was 24.

After 30 everything is an effort. 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Chap online was saying he was 6k in debt, was never late with payments and AIB sold the debt to another lot that harassed, daily calls to increase his payments and threatened with court. Banks have insurance for large defaulters but it's the little people they go after.

The afgan case is a prime one of take gov to court for not providing accommodation and they get want they want. Most people in Ireland could gnot afford to go to court to fight for their rights.

If pepper have your debt sold to them then you can forget about it, they will hound you for a few thousand.

Careys debt being written off just means the bank has been passed it onto people who are actually paying their mortgages. Sh1t like this is why mortgages are so expensive in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Depending what age one has and what level of success Ireland is either a great country or a bad one.

Looking at the issue number one, which is housing, Ireland can hardly be described as a "rich country".

Seeing these endless queues just to view one shabby rental property and also looking at the level of debt Ireland carries as a left over of the financial crisis, I can hardly see the country as a rich country. ( In the 60ies and all the way to the 80ies queues in Ireland meant queuing either for welfare or queueing for a visa for the US, queueing today means queueing for a rental property )

If one is young and qualified, I wouldn't blame him or her for leaving. The outlook for the younger generation is bleak, considering the housing situation, as I don't see this solved in the next 5 to 10 years.

The ones with steady jobs and owning their own property, Ireland especially Dublin is actually a nice choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think someone was stating Ireland was a poor country due to the debt per capita.

I guess Afghanistan, Congo, Libya & east Timor are rich countries in comparison?

Most of the G7 have similar figures to Ireland, amazing that the G7 based on that are considered poor?

From 1900 a month to rent a box room in a co living space in dun laoire! How many of you " Ireland is great" proclaimers, are paying this or e2000 a month for a **** one bed Apartment in Dublin? Anyone?... didn't think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I'm guessing a certain cohort of people protesting the state of this country were born in the mid 80's, came of age just in time for the Celtic Tiger and got used to an irrational way of life (especially in the construction industry - not that that's unique, dot com boom etc).

I came of age in the 80's and early 90's and lord knows that was a grim time to be in this country.

I also remember queuing to view rental properties in Dublin in the late 90's when the Tiger was getting its roar sorted, and it being very slim pickings even for house shares. I was making okay money even in those times and buying my own apartment was out of the question.

No matter where you go in the world, if you want to buy property then the cost of such has increased in a dramatic fashion over the past 10 years.

What I see being complained about in this thread is common to pretty much every country with a decent standard of living out there. Anywhere with low prices = low employment opportunities and prospects. In the 80's, yes, it was easy to buy a home, but you needed a job in the first place which was much harder to come by than today. Even very qualified people here ended up emigrating for better opportunities abroad.

We have it relatively good here in the recent past. If you don't think so, bite the bullet and go elsewhere, and see what happens. I've known countless people who emigrated for various reasons, and the only person I know who stayed away from Ireland and didn't return did so for love.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2 Bed Teraced just come on the market near here for €185k, tiny north facing garden with fence on one side in bits and the other side pulled out. Also looks like a bodged dog pen outside the back window. These houses have wiring that would fail todays standards, radiators failing, windows that wont close and plumbing pipes that are undersized and causing issues. Area has a high turnover for rentals and there has been issues with anti-social behavior especially with one rental property.

Advertisement