Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its going to be a really hard sell to get a referendum passed to effectively reduce representation. People will point to the UK saying they have 90k constituents per MP vs our 30k per TD but I really fail to see how that's a good argument for it passing beyond being a whataboutery argument. The best way of pushing for it imo is showing how much more it will cost taxpayers to keep adding TDs based on current limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Strangely enough the US Senate is in a similar situation to the Dáil - in that it has a variable number of seats set by a (more rigid) rule defined in the constitution. In its case it doesn't expand when the population of the country goes up but when the number of states does. If Puerto Rico and D.C. ever join then it'll have 104 seats.

I take your meaning though and yes I think that is what will likely happen in the end. Perhaps we will have a referendum to fix it at a nice round 200 seats at some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The State needs a new Constitution as we near the centenary of the first.

Quite a lot of provisions are now out of date or have been amended many times and are somewhat messy.

We are holding really useful Assemblies on many aspects of the State and society, which nearly always seem to result in some recommendation of constitutional change.

But that process is very bitty, it would be far better to hold a new constitutional convention, over maybe 5 years, to arrive at a new document entirely, fit to define The Second Republic for the rest of the Century.

And I think the biggest challenge will be to remove from the Constitution altogether, those subjects which are better suited to legislation and leave, or add those aspects which define the pillars of the State, to protect its fundamentals and the people who exist under its umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's an awful lot of totally outdated rubbish in there, apparently a woman's place is still in the home and we are all obliged to worship "almighty god" whoever that is. Meanwhile vastly wealthy religious bodies invoke the constitution to protect that wealth from the consequences of their crimes, yet still have overbearing influence over taxpayer-funded education.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I see Denis Naughton has announced he'll be retiring at the end of this term. It's a bit of a strange one. He's only 49. He even managed to serve as a minister after leaving FG which was quite the feat, and unlike quite a few of those other independent ministers he didn't lose his seat 2020 (in fact he got elected handily enough). He didn't give any particular reason although reading in between the lines of this quote perhaps he has a job lined up:

decided, for both personal and professional reasons, after giving 26 years of my life to national politics that now is the time to step back and explore new opportunities

In a sign of how Roscommon has been chopped and changed in constituency terms with each passing boundary revision he thanked "the people of counties Longford, Leitrim, Galway and Roscommon for their support".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This could be a major scandal for SF.

For all the talk about a few hundred euros here and there not declared for Pascal, 313,000 euros unaccounted for?

We all know SF are the wealthiest party in the state and treats the island of Ireland as two separate jurisdictions to get around Irish Law. Partitionist by nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SIPO will probably say they have 'no role' to investigate this and run away from it.

There should of course be a sanction if it is found to be true. But we know to our cost SIPO have not been allowed to have the proper powers.

treats the island of Ireland as two separate jurisdictions to get around Irish Law. Partitionist by nature.

P.S> With FG making way in their rules to start a NI party it will be interesting to see how they propose to comply with regs. Will they just ignore the NI ones and comply with here or vice versa? Or will they comply with both jurisdictions by having two separate parties for administration purposes - which of course, is the only way to stay legal in both of those jurisdictions.

I can see this becoming yet another damaging story for the government and 'we didn't know' isn't going to cut it.

Write downs of this magnitude are an obscenity for ordinary people who faced the full rigour of the law if they couldn't repay.

I can see this becoming yet another damaging story for the government and 'we didn't know' isn't going to cut it.

Why not?

Do you think the government are made aware of these internal decisions made by AIB? Do you have any proof that the government were made aware of this decision to write down this debt? If not, then its pure speculation.

SIPO will probably say they have 'no role' to investigate this and run away from it.

Did you not read the article where it said that SIPO are investigating the complaints and faces an investigation into its election spending conducts?

I am glad though that the people who decry the 'power swap' are openly ok with SF being even more dishonest when it comes to party finances. "Do as I say, not as I do"

I take it you wont vote for SF if these matters are not clarified Francie ;)

• Advertisement

If you owned 56% of a company...how would any regulator or judge treat you if you claimed 'you didn't know what was going on in that company'?

How do you think any company making that claim should be dealt with?

Article is behind a paywall.

What I can see is that it says 'SF 'faces' an investigation.

Have SIPO confirmed that an investigation is underway? Can you quote them please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If I owned 56% of a company I would not expect to be briefed on every single decision made within that company because that would be insanity.

Its clearly bad governance by AIB, but I strongly suspect those who will chastise the government over it are the same people who would chastise the government for interference were they to be more involved.

Even if it involved policies of writing off 9 million euro's?

Not buying that one and I don't think most people, who face the full rigours if they don't repay, would either.

Banks write off debts all the time. This write-off looks dodgy as ****, but do you genuinely think this kind of thing gets flagged up to the BOD? And the govt were like "cool, great guy, played GAA let's let him have it".

People should 100% be annoyed at this, but trying to bring it back round to the govt, who are as much as possible silent partners in the company, is absurd.

So who does or should have oversight if this is as 'dodgy as f*'?

My view would be those who have a 56% stake in the operation and who will ultimately foot the bill for this.

The management of the company, who may well face consequences now.

There is almost zero chance anyone in govt even knew about this.

How do you know that?

there is more information required here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That there above is a lesson for any one in whataboutery.

I found this story infuriating but my immediate reaction wasn't to blame the government and I doubt it will be more most people either. God knows there are plenty of things to be bashing them over right now without having to reach for things like this.

• Advertisement

Because I work in a 50% publicly owned company and I'm fully aware of the kind of thing that makes it to the Board and what doesn't.

AIB have been called before the Finance Committee by a member of the government. Fact.

That to me smacks of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

They want oversight after the fact. Would it not be in the taxpayers interest for them to have oversight before the event or established policy on these things?

Reactive again instead of being proactive...no bother of course putting strategies in place for other costs to the taxpayer where a certain cohort lose out.

This is oversight.

Oversight does not mean micromanaging everything the company gets up to. Writing off debt and taking haircuts is something banks do on a pretty regular basis - you can not possibly have every such scenario making its way up to board level.

I suspect there is policy on these things and its simply been ignored in this scenario. It happens frequently and punishment by definition has to come after the fact.

Last word on this.

If this was 'normal' why the hell is a government minister wanting questions asked? Why isn't your handwaving not satisfactory for the government? Quite clearly this type of write off is considered wrong by the very government administering our stake in the bank and there was no 'taxpayer protection strategy' in place.

We'll see how it pans out, but I stick by my contention that this will be damaging.

I never said it was normal, I said the exact opposite.

I think its utterly absurd to blame this on the govt simply because they are a majority shareholder.

What, just like Paschal's posters would be damaging?

And just like Bertie rejoining his local FF Cumann would be damaging?

Bad news for you Francie, ordinary people know well what are important issues and what are not.

AIB will have written down Carey's debt based on what they felt they could get. If they hadn't accepted 60k, he'd have taken bankruptcy and they have got €0. I'm not saying these decisions should not be subject to scrutiny under a robust set of regulations, but if people like Doherty think AIB are going to stroll into a Dáil Committee and answer questions about dealings with a private individual, then they're dumber than they look.

Dara Calleary and Neale Richmond have also called for them to answer questions at committee.

They ought to know better and all.

On another day, they'd probably be on the phone day and night to a bank, fighting the case of some constituent in the same boat.

Just because Carey is well known doesn't mean its right for his bank dealings to be debated in public or in Parliament, at least insofar as they aren't already a matter of record in the Courts.

Theres a conflation here between this AIB write-down and other allegations floating about in the ether. Justice will take its course in its own good time.

But it amazes me that people like all three TDs above and more, don't seem to have learned anything from the Angela Kerins case.

What they need to find out on behalf of the taxpayer can be found out without going into the specifics of one person's dealings. They can do this on our behalf or stand back and let it drip out in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well thats just not true, AIB chased Ivan Yates out of the country by trying to make an example of him and got nothing close to what they could have if they had been willing to negotiate. They are criminally inconsistent when it comes to debt relief.

Advertisement