Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm guessing Ukraine hasn't got a lot of spare fast jet pilots - they wouldn't have been training huge numbers over the last decade, cos it's expensive...

Yes every available Ukrainian who's ever been capable of flying their jets have likely turned up for service ,

But they've lost a lot of planes ,and pilots ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Being there is zero discussion anywhere else out side of this thread,I think it's safe to say that there isn't 40+ F18s sitting there waiting to be flown to Ukraine,

America has a fleet of migs and other SU 4th generation fighters flying as part of the US Airforce yet Mention of these either,

The British have more or less ruled out any of their aircraft going and pretty much everyone outside of Poland (mig29s) has rules out jets for Ukraine,

Chances are even if the war ended in the next 6 months they would be waiting a long time to purchase new aircraft from America or the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

You'd probably know better than most, being in Langley, Virginia.

You are in Langley as per your sign off, right?

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Master strategy there,

Remember when we were told we'd all be freezing to death in our beds if we didn't let Putin win ,

Hyperinflation is going to hit Russia in the next while, wait till people have to start queuing for bread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

mig29s are a great jet for their needs in fairness

It makes more sense,than giving them aircraft they have zero experience flying or maintaining,and already have munitions for .

The idea that they would be given f16s/18s and immediately become Top gun efficient fighters is laughable considering it takes years to physically master a modern aircraft and that's before your proficient enough to start dropping bombs are missles accurately is laughable,yes some Ukrainan pilots have flown in the US ,no mention of them training and qualifying on US jets and combat missions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The rest of us have a problem?

Putin is not Hitler?

The West is in the wrong here???

What absolute sh1te are you typing about.

All Eyes On Rafah

@realitykeeper not one inch east - not true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Take our lead from 1941, are you stupid ???

Things have changed, e.g. technology, that's how the World knows what's happening !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

That is what Regan promised Gorbechev. Gorbechev was a Communist (which I am not) but he was also a good and a very honourable man. He was certainly a reformer. I remember those days because the old hostility seemed to fade away and the pervasive fear we lived with was suddenly lifted. It was like we could all breath easily for the first time in our lives. Not only that but the serious, stoic Russians we would see in the olympics started smiling! East and west began talking in friendly terms. I remember those days fondly. I think the Cold war suited some people here in the west. I think it was agent M, in one of the Daniel Craig James Bonds who said "I miss the Cold war." Agent M may be ficticious but her sentiment wasn`t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

why would the get rid of their only fighter jet leaving with F35s which aren't dogfighters

Eh.... what? 1) the F35 is a multirole fifth generation platform and this includes air superiority and "dogfighting". 2) Dog fights are consigned to the history books and Hollywood for the most part. Much like Tom Cruise evading an AA missile fired at close range... The reality is very different. An F35 operating against say Russian fourth gen fighters no matter how maneuverable they are as they do their thing at air shows to whoops from the crowd, would acquire, track and fire a beyond visual range AA missile at the Russian aircraft long before the Russian aircraft's radars had even seen the F35's. A flight of F35's would also be acting as a fully connected datalink swarm among themselves and overall battlefield intel from AWACS and the like. Even if they were somehow jumped by Sukhois and forced to fight on their terms it would still be a likely win for the F35s.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Watervliet is working on the barrels, and is doing a fair bit of unheralded work on that matter. I’m talking to the powers-that-are about visiting there with my camera equipment next month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember Threads and other such TV movies about WW3, like The Day After, By Dawn's Early Light and When The Wind Blows. So? Russians had similar such flics on their side and indeed among the closest we ever got to the mushroom clouds going up were around the Cuban Missile Crisis and an alert in the 80's, it was two Russians who said nope. BTW they weren't so realistic. EG the threat of nuclear winter has been shown to have been very much oversold. Ditto for radiation levels.

The "biological weapons factory" story is a beyond incomprehensibly stupid one to believe. Why in god's name would anyone build such a facility right beside an "enemy" where it can be spied on, even taken over, when you can build one at "home" far from any such risks? And seeing as it's not the 19 bloody 40's you could deliver any biological weapons payload from anywhere in the world to anywhere else in the world in a matter of hours. And in top of that you say the Russians have secured the area yet even their spin doctors and propaganda machine hasn't said diddly about such a facility. One might think they'd be screaming about it from the rooftops, and yet... Maybe you also believe the Russian tales of weaponised pigeons and mosquitos? If so I have some magic beans to sell you. Christ almighty. How bloody gullible are you?

I note you're also parroting the Russian spin re inflation. But you ignore their spin about us starving and freezing to death, because we aren't and you aren't and you know it to be utter bollocks.

But OK, let's say everything the Russians claimed was true, and it's demonstrably not, let's even say it was a trap by the dastardly "West"(AKA America). Russia escalated. Russia invaded. Russia flattened cities and left fields cratered. Russia has caused millions to be displaced. Russia has killed and injured tens of thousands of Ukrainians, men woman and children AND tens of thousands of dead and injured Russians too. And Russia continues to "escalate" by trying to steal the land that's not theirs killing Ukrainians and their own men to do it. As we speak Ukrainians and Russians are dying right now and that's down to one man and his minions and he and they aren't in Ukraine.

But let's say we were all dropped on our heads as babies and lost a few IQ points and sued for peace. What peace would you be willing to tell Ukrainians to take? What guarantees would you expect from Russia? Whatever about the Americans and lord knows they can be utter **** geopolitically, it's incredibly difficult to find an treaty in history which Russia have signed that they didn't break when they thought they could.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Aren't Abrams "Smooth Barrell" guns as opposed to rifled and would that mean they've a higher replacement rate than rifled?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He's a heroic Norwegian medic. That is an arresting image.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vatnikbanderite

So nice to have some really good news for a change. I wonder how it was achieved?

Might have found an answer, not sure it's correct, but it seems plausible:

They did not fit the criteria for russification, so they were likely returned. Orphanages in Russia are full, nobody wanted to adopt them.

I was thinking bribes.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 vatnikbanderite

words mean nothing.... treaties mean nothing either, even ones Putin has agreed to...

only thing Putin recognises is a direct aggressive response... without that he see's it as carte blanche to do as he pleases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Didn't they announce that days/weeks ago?

But in light of the less than expected deliveries of Leopard 2 tanks, it may very well be the IFV's doing most of the grunt work.

Here's hoping like all the other weapon platforms, that they keep arriving in numbers and not just the initial delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Can't say I've heard of them referred as "C-90" before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

The UK also have another 85 challenger tanks they are retiring which could have been sent rather than just 14. 100 challenger tanks would decimate the Russians in a counter offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Strand1970

Everyone on this thread seems to be fascinated with weapons and total victory. Ukraine seems to think we are obliged to fund their war regardless, plus house and feed their people. That's sound up until now but let's be real the western public are starting to questioning this eastern European war and why really its any different from any other war recently. The war will end in an agreed settlement, that's how all wars end in reality. Ukraine will ultimately have no choice, the west will decide on the terms and timing for the end of the war. The longer this goes on the more destructive its to Ukraine future, their population will be vastly reduced and only alternative is migration from maybe Turkey or Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Fund the war eh? More like preventing genocide. Most people on this thread are well educated in WWII history and the Nazi Genocide. Most people are educated that you can't give in to dictators, the West as you mentioned failed Ukraine when Russia invaded in 2014. Why is it when Russia is in a rut do people start spewing peace and negotiations? Guarantee if Russia was on a roll, the same folks would keep their mouth shut, hoping Russia take more and more land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"The war will end in an agreed settlement, that's how all wars end in reality"

Exactly, but the question is what will this settlement look like?

The West seems to have plenty of appetite to continue supplying Ukraine with arms.

The US is having a fantastic time clearing decades of backlogs of obsolete equipment, all to defeat their historical adversary without losing a single soldier. I have no doubt Europe will continue to fund Ukraine too, since Ukraine will continue to act as a buffer, and historically East looking states are now looking West for support.

• Advertisement

What do you think happens in Eastern Europe if Putin wins?Who will be next victim of Russian aggression and what signals do you think this will give China,who is having the finger on the trigger when it comes to Taiwan,and Iran to Israel and North Korea to South Korea?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement