Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"GAA star in alleged scam" Mod Note on page 1 and 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

So, in 2017, despite selling the properties, there was still 6.4 million still unpaid. And that was the year <admin snip> had his debts written down.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

You mentioned culture there a few times and that's fine. It's a nice broad descriptor of a time when a lot of people thought they could make a lot of money for doing nothing much.

The use of the word "illegally" in the middle of it is a different matter. If you are not suggesting illegality in this case I'm not sure what its relevance is. Has illegality been proven?

"a time when a lot of people thought they could make a lot of money for doing nothing much."

That's very specific. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Is there are reason the <admin snip> and scam article are been linked. If not its difficult to see who is writing about which.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They are not being linked. Most of the recent posts are re the RTE link about the AIB write down involving <admin snip>.

A fairly jesuitical distinction. Really convincing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Mod Note

Warning issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Is this headline not just pure sensationalism? A loan of 9.5 million secured against 7.8 million properties. Unless he managed to retain those properties, that's nowhere near a 99% writedown.

Plus, the story is 6 years old, hardly "news". It really smacks of kicking a man when he's down.

Is this the kind of rubbish that we're funding our State broadcaster for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caoimhin19

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

<admin snip> has yet to comment on the story - but Mr Richmond said he was not aware of any other write downs of that size at a State-owned bank.

“Whilst yet the State have an effective ownership they didn’t have policy direction over the bank,” he told RTE's 'Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin' show.

But he added: “Anyone reading that story overnight, it is extremely worrying, and personally I’d like to see AIB come before the Finance Committee to lay out exactly the nature of this and indeed address the question ‘were there other write downs?’ and to explain and to have a debate.”

DJ Carey debt write-down: Minister calls for AIB to answer questions over deal on €9.5m debt - Independent.ie

They say one of the places Quinn hid his money was in Switzerland. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I see the newspapers have very cleverly started to run two stories with no apparent link on the face of it. One with the former GAA star scam story.

And another with how a former GAA star named paid only 60k of a 9m debt to AIB. Also mentioned in the Dail.

Obviously there is no evidence that the two stories are linked. Nor does this post does not imply they are linked. I am just pointing out the media reporting strategies.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭benneca1

This is turning into a lynching, absolutely no regard for the constitutional rights of an as yet unnamed and not yet charged individual. I am surprised that the thread was let run this long. While I don’t condone any illegality we have a system in order to prevent the mob doing what is being done here without any context. The valley of the squinting windows lives on - If this all comes to nothing which it might as charges require evidence to support them rather than speculation I hope anyone who linked this to a named individual is well lawyered up :)

But you are one of the very few people here who have mentioned "illegality". Most people have discussed only issues already in the public domain.

That the prurient interest in the matter can be said to not reflect well on those discussing it is a fair enough comment but is very different to talking about "illegality". No great need to be "lawyered up" for such vague gossip I think. Unless you think the entire thing is made up and the person at the centre of it is in a very strong position of course. But I am surprised there have not been injunctions galore to prevent publication/discussion so far if that is the case.

Surely with your use of the phrase "very cleverly" at the start you are implying a link.

Otherwise why would you regard running the two stories without explicitly linking as "very clever"?

It's an old newspaper trick. I remember a story about a FF minister opening something being placed right beside a story which claimed a government minister had been named in a UK divorce case but it didn't reveal the name. But right beside it there he was opening a supermarket.

I'm not implying there is a link with the current stories but the newspapers clearly are.

I don't understand libel laws. Why can't a newspaper say x is being investigated.

They can’t because innuendo is also a form of defamation. Then the alleged GAA star involved can say their reputation was damaged in the eyes of right thinking members of society. While there is nothing concrete the media will keep it as vague/subtle as possible - letting the readers draw their own conclusions.

• Advertisement

It is not stating it one way or the other that is why it is clever. There is no definitive link between the two stories.

It reminds me of the time the Northside People put a picture up of Brendan Grace’s Bottler character - advert. Beside a story about a former minister of health who had a large face and beard. No link between but editorial positioning.

I have not read the thread. But as long as xyz individual is not explicitly linked to the story and appropriate caveats are given- nothing can happen.

There is nothing xyz individual can do. It is the clear much information is already in the public domain and the newspapers would not have gone as far as they have - thus far - without having themselves covered legally. Also any legal action for xyz individual would be a financial burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Surely you realise your own post (in reply to wrong post btw) is just compounding the insinuation.

At this stage I'm sick of it.

He is in hospital I believe and I hope he gets better.

At some point the cops will probably charge him. It would be incredible if he escaped a charge at the very least. Going by the amount of people who have come forward.

Then it's up to the courts to decide guilt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

He will likely get away with it. Going into hospital is the first step to achieve that. It’s a classic and frequently used con artist trick. It’s amazing how con artists only need hospital treatment after getting caught.

From the Irish Independent:

Billionaire Denis O’Brien has been contacted by gardaí investigating a former GAA star who allegedly sought hundreds of thousands of euro from people under false pretences.

Mr O’Brien is understood to be one of a number of people who were allegedly tapped for money by the leading sportsman in recent years, claiming it was either a loan or to pay for his cancer treatment.

The former GAA star asked Mr O’Brien for money and other financial supports and is also believed to have asked him to fund medical treatment.

Mr O’Brien provided the funds, according to a source who declined to put a figure on the amount. However, the sums involved are believed to run to tens of thousands.

There are growing concerns for the health of the sportsman, who has been hospitalised since the news of the garda investigation broke last weekend.

A relative told the Sunday Independent he has been receiving medical care as a result of the strain and his recovery is now the priority for his family over the coming days and weeks.

Detectives have contacted Mr O’Brien and asked to speak to him about the sportsman’s approaches for financial assistance and his explanation for needing the money.

Gardaí came across Mr O’Brien’s name as a donor to the former GAA star in the course of their inquiries.

The businessman is understood to have provided financial support of various kinds to the sportsman over a number of years, including allowing him to stay in his properties at different times.

A spokesman for Mr O’Brien declined to comment.

The approach to Mr O’Brien demonstrates the reach of the sportsman, who has enjoyed a huge national following of fans at all levels.

Mr O’Brien, who was a main shareholder in Independent News and Media — which is now Mediahuis Ireland, owner of this newspaper — is one of Ireland’s richest people.

The investigation into the alleged fraud began last year after financial institutions were alerted to unusual transactions in the sportsman’s bank accounts.

A number of people subsequently came forward complaining that he had allegedly duped them into giving him money, either for cancer treatment he never availed of or as a loan that was never repaid.

Gardaí searched a hotel where the man was staying in December. He relinquished his mobile phone and his passport and has also presented himself for interview.

Detectives have been examining the messages and content of his phone to trace people who gave him money but who have not made official complaints.

Statements have been taken from a number of those tracked down. It is not clear whether Mr O’Brien has met yet with detectives.

The investigation is being coordinated locally with assistance from the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB).

Detectives have not divulged how many complaints they have received this far, but sources put the value of the alleged fraud to date in the “high six figures” and shy of €1m.

Inquiries are expected to focus on the sportsman’s finances, on his medical condition and his claims of running medical negligence lawsuits.

The sportsman is said to have had difficult personal circumstances in recent years and has been living in different properties, in hotels and apartments.

Debt judgments have been issued against him, including one by the Revenue Commissioners.

Local people estimated that as many as 50 people could be victims of the former sports star.

Gardaí have been told the cash sums sought and, in some cases paid, range from several thousand euro to five-figure sums.

One business person is alleged by local people to have paid a sum of €200,000.

While news of the fraud investigation has shocked the GAA, the sportsman has been approaching people for money for a number of years.

“I’m sure that a great many people that would have donated would never admit that they donated,” said a local source.

“So I would think that it would be very difficult to get the actual picture.”

Two politicians separately told the Sunday Independent that the sportsman asked them for a loan two years ago to tide him over until his expected payout from a medical negligence claim.

One politician said he was asked for €10,000 and the other said he was asked for €15,000. Neither of them paid.

A former GAA player is said to have given the sportsman €15,000 in the belief it was to be a loan.

A businesswoman who gave €5,000 for cancer treatment last week urged others to come forward.

She said she donated the money to the sportsman after he told her he had a rare form of cancer and need to travel to the United States for treatment.

She eventually got the money back when she threatened to expose him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ah fair enough, but I colleague of mine bought a place during the boom, crash came about and struggled to service the mortgage, he was trying to get €15,000(loan was 300,000) write off in order to sell the property, bank fought him tooth and nail...

His struggles with the bank in that situation really soured him, he earns about 70% of his income cash in hand now, and the bank's or revenue don't see a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

You appear to be proud of him !

Leave the taxpayer to pay for his mistakes.

But I never set out to avoid compounding any insinuation. To my mind it's fairly obvious what everyone thinks about the two stories.

I just said that people who point out the "cleverness" of the media placing two supposedly unrelated stories together are in effect linking the two stories themselves (by their interpretation of the media work), even if they add a line to claim otherwise.

Surely.......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭tibruit

Ah yes, our wonderful politicians. They`re the folks that didn`t see the crash coming as the boom kept getting boomier and now they want to ask AIB why they didn`t draw a barrelful of blood from a stone. The real question that requires an answer is how they got any drop of blood from the stone at all, how much they got before and including the final settlement and where that blood originated? The donors might want it back.

Of course the guys and gals on the opposition benches will jump up and down and shout about how the privileged few are once more taking advantage of the downtrodden masses and the guys and gals in the middle have to show some faux concern because they don`t want the opposition stealing the thunder. Hence we better ask AIB a few questions. Make sure you ask them the right questions when you get them in now lads.

<admin snip> got nothing from this deal other than perhaps he got to live at a standard above his means for a year or two or three. But technically he went into it with nothing and came out of it with nothing but a big financial headache. He was one of many thousands in the same boat. You choose to gamble, you win some, you lose some. The individuals who are really responsible for the mess were those who oversaw financial regulation and they were....oh yeah....politicians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement