Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Theres definitely no long distance travelling required, 3 factories in a 45 minute radius of here and them prices can be got in the three of them and it’ll be got on O- and 4= to 4+ fat scores. If you’ve r grades you’ll negotiate a higher price relatively easy too.

The last load that left here were loaded at quarter past 8 in the morning and were gone up the line at quarter past 9. Ye must have very poor relationships with your factory agents in your part of the country of ye’ve to drive half the country and load cattle the evening before. Sounds like the height of madness to me and not something anyone with any experience of killing stock would do, or certainly not around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is only three processors locally. They are two ABP and a Dawn plant. Nearest is 10ish miles both the other are 30 and 40 miles respectively. They do not price against each other to any great extent.

Ya if you are a regular supplier( as in killing 200+ cattle a year 50% during the winter) you probably get 5-10c more but.

One issue with Friesian's especially if feeding outside is you red too ebon stronger bullocks as they get fit as they prevent other from finishing.

Cattle are slaughtered in the order they arrive. Cattle arriving the evening before ate slaughtered first, next the early morning ones and then the later morning cattle.

Cattle arriving at 7-8am go up the line around 11am-1pm depending on what came in the night before.

I do not but there is an agent buying cattle off people that do that, I would not unless the price reflects the fact. These cattle would be travelling 70-90 miles, he buys all over Limerick and would have a double going most days of the week. See him loading around mid day on Sundays lately

Slava Ukrainii

The agent/lorry driver will do whatever suits themselves for as long as they can get away with it. If the farmers agree to that then of course he will do it, but at the end of the day it’s the farmers pocket getting the hit, not the agent.

Stand your ground and tell him you will only send them the morning they are to be killed and that’s it. If he only has 1 double a day going there’s no need to be loading the evening before anyway, couldn’t he start loading at 5 or 6 in the morning and even if he has a few collections to make he’ll still be at the factory by breakfast time.

Local agent/haulier here often starts his day at 2am as he would have 3 or 4 loads a day going to the factory. The cattle he’d load at 2-3am would be gone up the line by 6-7am and you’d have your kill docket by breakfast time. He’d love to be bring a load or 2 the evening before but most of the farmers don’t allow him and rightly so.

In theory everything you say above is true. However he is not going to change the way he operates for 6-10 cattle every now and again. It would take a lot of his existing suppliers to insist on it to force him to change his ways. He buys out of the local marts and I see him at a couple of Kerry marts as well so that is the reason he wants to move cattle early in the evening

While the factory in Ennis was open it added an option locally but it is closed now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

We kill very few. Less than 10 a year and spaced out. Usually would be collected 3-5 in the day for killing the next morning.

• Advertisement

You are talking about up to a 2% kill out difference between night and morning drop off to a lairage

Assuming it 1.5% even on a 330 kg bullocks that is 5kgs or 25+euro at present per animal

Slava Ukrainii

Is there not a local lad with a jeep and trailer that would run them over for you the next morning? They don’t have to go in the agents lorry.

I expect that the cattle are traveling a distance 80-100 miles. Most lads with a jeep and box would want 100++ to go that distance. Probably an option for 5 but not for 3.

Slava Ukrainii

The run them over is a 40 min drive to nearest factory. Not gonna be cheap for 1-2 heads.

The point is just that not every one has the power to make others dance and there are plenty more like me that are more so price takers/service takers than the rest of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We'd always put in our lambs the evening before, load them at 6am next morning, and wouldn't be killed until 3pm then..... it never did the KO any harm, all they lose in gutflll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

I usually send mine in the morning around 9 but this year he wanted to go in the evening both times, so we had to load at 3.30pm, would this make much of a difference to my kill out? What would you be talking if they were 700kgs?

Any figures I saw on research over the years was 2% difference. A 700jg animal hanging 370kgs DW the extra loss could up to 7.5kg weight difference.

Now more than likely you will lose a certain amount anyway unless they went straight up the line. There are a few reasons for the losses cattle tend to stand longer in a new environment and tend not to look for drinking points even if present.

Technically lairages are supposed to provide feed. The feed points I say are high above cattles heads and a giraffe is the only animal I think could feed from them........even if there was hay in them.

There is no way I would load cattle at 3pm for slaughter the following day. If I drop in the night before I try to leave it until 9pm or after. At that I would expect them to be going up the line at around 8am.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Would it be fair to assume that finished cattle bought at a mart at 1pm would be heading for slaughter the following morning? And the factory agents bidding on them know they'll lose a bit of weight and so factor this in to what they'll pay?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

As Jjam says the buyers are pricing on an empty stomach and will have there figures fairly accurate from constantly buying

I seldom seen cattle in the mart that make more than if they we t straight to the factory. Ya it happens for 4-6 weeks in early summer and maybe one or twice more when processors are short of cattle but generally the buyers are making 100+ after costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

I know a couple of men who nearly lost everything at it and they weren't messers either. Unfortunately for both it became a form of gambling.

You have to be very disciplined. It is very hard to break into as the lads around the rung will seldom leave a man in. They even push the processors who are buying direct to the limit

Slava Ukrainii

These two were not novices that was the astonishing thing when both 'empires' collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

So you reckon I would lose a minimum of 5kgs? If so that’s nearly €25 a head

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

There's no one immune from disaster in the cattle business and often it's only a few bad deals, bounced checks or personal vendetta's away. A local man who spent his entire life at the game had a saying that "you started off with an Ash plant and pair of boots and if you weren't very careful that's what you'd finish up with"

He had first hand experience of the above and went full circle. From doing lots of business and having great jobs for stock, a lorry on the road and seemed to be doing the best. In the finish up he was sleeping in a bad car as he'd lost everything else and died nearly penniless. Once you get to a certain stage of life it's not easy to turn you're back on the job especially as it's often the only thing you know even if it is dragging you under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

Local lad here buys in mart for killing but he leaves them for a week to freshen up after coming home prior to killing. Goes through some amount of stock anything with flesh

That would be more like business, granted there'd still be an odd blowout and they don't all die in profit. I don't know how you'd go about buying them today, hack them about waiting for lorries and to make up a load and expect them to weigh and grade going up the line tomorrow. If it was that easy they'd all be at it, the shine doesn't be long going off a beast after a day or two of standing in a mart or lying about a lairage whilst you're putting together a load.

He is probably on credit with the mart. Alot of the 'little scuts' around here are operating between the processor cheque and the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A lot of factories kill cattle to orders or the boning hall and these hit the chills to be ready for the next day, a lot of factories are bringing cattle in at night to cut down on vet shifts in the lairage and to have them processed on the Dept system for the next morning and don’t mix the kill with cows killed last or TB reactors.

There's a lot of lad's operating those type of setups. There trading on other people's money and balance one against the other to square the circle. It's OK once you can continue to trade and keep the money coming in so that this weeks cheque pays last weeks bill. The wheels only fall off the wagon when there's a blip like a factory folding or something similar that causes the money to stop coming in. If you had access to €50k or so of interest free credit then cash flow could mitigate unprofitability for a lenght of time. If the credit limit could be pushed out further in times of need then you could set yourself up rightly for the whole house of cards to eventually come crashing down.

Or what's being rumored around here...a cover for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Mountbellew mart had to close recently over bad debt. Locals raised 180k to get it going again. No small sum

Jesus what a ****. 😀😀

Karma will get him on the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Advertisement