Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I remember watching the Election Night Armistice all those years ago when Labour came into power (they had "Mr. Tony Blair" as a regular character):

BBC Two - Friday Night Armistice, The Election Night Armistice

Unfortunately there isn't much left to satirise anymore but would be nice to see Iannucci et al do another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea, so if I ordered something through a friend in N.I and it was addressed and sent to them, it would be taken as it's staying in N.I and go in the green lane, when delivered by truck/van

A smugglers dream come true😅

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Green lane will be largely scrutinised by the in time tracking data that the UK have eventually got in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So what’s to stop something that went through the green lane continuing onto the south and thus the single market?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

So that's what the UK wants (according to the BBC) . No change there then.

According to most other places I've read there will still be checks (albeit reduced).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

Less checks means more goods being smuggled across the border - which weakens our position in the EU Single Market.

And why are we risking that happening? Oh yeah, it because we are in Narnia and keep insisting that the international frontier on our island isn’t an international frontier even though it is and the last opinion polls in NI show the union would still command a 2:1 majority, even after the Brexit mess, in a referendum on the status of NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's more interesting if the UK strikes a trade deal with a 3rd party that's beneficial to the EU.

Goods get shipped from the EU to NI (no checks) then (depending on the details) freely ships from NI (the EU market) to the 3rd party or ships from NI to Scotland (Tory's promise no checks) and then onto the 3rd country.

It's going to be another mess with NI->UK checks with a 3rd party trade deal, like the NI protocol in reverse, but no EU to blame or no EU looking to enforce it, that would the the 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Most products from GB, will have a zero tariff (TCA). This will not be easy for smugglers to profit from.

The SM is about standards, rules and regulations. Breaking these standards, rules and regulations will be much harder to monetize for smugglers.

Remember all products must be IT registered and be available to the EU online and in real time.

Trade is not much about tariffs nowadays, it's mostly about NTBs.

Lars 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In 212 BC Moeriscus opened the gates to Syracuse which was perhaps the tipping point for the Romans to take over from the Greeks and Carthaginians.

Brexit on the other had had too many useful idiots. "All things to all men" nebulous and amorphous so it's supporters imagined it would be what they wanted it to be or fooled themselves into believing that. The vote was so close that it could have been swung by any number of things

• proper referendum commission over seeing legality of claims and advertising especially the DUP Metro ad shown in GB but not NI
    • Nationalists in NI voting for confusion , and Asians voting for more immigration (replacing EU immigration)
    • The UK media excepting Channel 4 (ITN) and The Guardian being as useful as a chocolate teapot. "JOURNALISM 101 RULE: If someone says it’s raining, and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out of the **** window and find out which is true."
    • the dumbed down leave/remain wording that gave a blank cheque to who could ever scramble to the top of the pile of bodies.

The diagram below is how blood clots form. Miss a step and it won't happen. Brexit was essentially the same except for the names of the clots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Isn't there a risk that goods of less regulatory standards, either made in GB or imported from outside the EU, can then be substituted for higher standard products and shipped through NI and into the EU?

How would that be checked?

Horse meat for example. Substitute that into burgers which were previously up to the standard, to save money and ship them through NI to shops in Ireland or elsewhere. Creating a competitive price advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Meat gets checked even if made in Ireland for Ireland so it would be detected and the green lane shut for anyone caught.

Also what British press are not saying is they are going to align on many standards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Market surveillance will continue, and possibly increased.

The horsemeat scandal was detected in Dublin but was really an Eastern European origin assisted by a Belgium trader.

Any serious smuggling, like fake goods, drugs, dutiable goods (alcohol, tobacco, diesel) are naturally hard to detect because the criminals are good at it and can sustain losses, and can change fake origins in a flash.

However, if M&S or Tesco try it, they will be caught, so they will not try it.

The customs are not after the odd bottle of hooch - they are looking for systematic breaking of the rules - either money or goods declared incorrectly. The UK have finally settled their long standing of allowing below cost Chinese cotton jeans into the EU declared at below the prevailing raw cotton prices. It cost the €3 billion of a fine (if I remember correctly).

All the EU want is the extant NI Protocol in place and functioning - no matter how watered down, because the protocol can be tightened as required with future 'adjustments'. It just needs to have the ECJ as the backstop. (Ooops, pun).

This risk is why the SM has to be protected. But the CU not so much.

As I understand it, all shipments has to be registered and be available to the EU online. Only commercial and larger shipments will use the green/red paths.

Smugglers can't easily make a profit on breaking regulatory standards. They usually make money where customs charges, excise taxes and the like are different on the two sides of a border.

Lars 😀

PS! Carrying illegal drugs is a criminal offence. I believe such drugs are outside the scope of the NIP?

It is a mistake to believe EU goods are not checked. They are just not checked at border crossings. Finding horse meat will require a (now simple) DNA test, I believe. This is a task for food safety officials in all EU27 countries.

Import of meat from e.g. USA and Brazil requires EU inspectors in these countries to certify the meat (mostly no hormone, no GMO).

This is where SPS alignment UK-EU will benefit UK trade.

Lars 😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one really cares about individuals bringing material from NI to Ireland. I have crossed the Swiss-EU border thousands of times and never once been checked (though the odd spot check does happen).

The focus will be on commercial level transfer of goods and that is where systems and tracking will be of utmost importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I haven't read the fine print, but I believe something was said about the green lane being still subject to spot checks by customs officials. Anyone trying that trick and getting caught would obviously be in a fair spot of bother (effectively trying to smuggle goods into the EU Single Market).

It will probably cost most Irish people more to drive up across the border than any extra cost Amazon or whoever will charge.

This is just like how MUP was gonna have the whole of Kerry driving up to Armagh to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

No one really cares about individuals bringing material from NI to Ireland.

I'm sure the businesses in border areas who will lose customers to substandard British crap will care.

The British are ruthless. They will undercut European business at the knees. Just look at how they are standing up to the public sector and the paltry social welfare rates. It is a very cut throat society.

• Advertisement

For the British to smuggle through No they would first have to learn where it is and also the fact it is part of their country.

Anyway none of what you say is actually going to happen. A few bits and pieces will move around both sides of the border counties as it always did but the money isn't there for widespread smuggling of tiny amounts of retail or grocery items.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The protocol is exactly designed to stop these things happening on an industrial level. The "British" will not be taking advantage of this in any way whatsoever.

Border businesses have been dealing with varying VAT rates and currency exchange rates causing flows of business back and forth for decades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. If for no other reason, there's not a shred of competence in the current administration and there hasn't been for the best part of a decade. Even then, they couldn't redact the Human Rights Act they loathe so much.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'm really confused. Is Johnson now trying to protect the deal he threatened to rip up. The same one he wrote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah. And Frost. And the ERG with their Star Chamber that previously announced that Johnsons deal was great.

As Widdecombe said, Brexit is not failing, just the implementation of it. They just need to keep going and this time it will work.

It's definitely confusing. Nobody can be really sure whether Johnson is saying he's a fan of the Protocol that he signed or has turned against it - his position sounds quite contradictory.

It looks to me like he is just trolling Sunak while also saying whatever he needs to get back in the limelight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think it's trolling. There's a vocal Johnson wing in the party who've bought into his betrayal narrative. It's a war of attrition Johnson's waging and Sunak is so pathetically weak he can do nothing but watch.

He's successfully done this to Theresa May when she was PM.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My reading of it is that he doesn't want the "Protocol Bill", the bill that is going through parliament that allows British ministers to renege on the "Protocol Agreement" and thus break international law scrapped.

It looks like that bill is something RS is willing to dump as part of his negotiations.

Advertisement