Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

New SIM arrived. Log in and enter the activation code and my number was changed over immediately.

Was a bit concerned for about ten mins as signal was 1/2 bars and only getting 10mbps on a speed test but it jumped back up to full signal and 170mbps.

SIM toolkit is still there with all the same options for roaming, etc. Thought this might have been gone. Be interesting hearing if roaming is actually better for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Is the change of sim only for solving roaming issues does it help with slow speeds or dropouts at home at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭robwen

Is everyone getting emails to replace sim or is it just people with older sims are being notified?

I haven't got any communication to get a replacement sim or I see no mention of it in app or the website

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cakedrive

Yeah they fixed roaming thankfully. Used to get 2g speeds and now getting 4g abroad and I'm delighted. I did notice my pixel decided to deselect all APNs as soon as I went abroad and auto inserted a slow roaming specific APN. I remembered from some threads here that 48months.liffeytelecom.com is now the APN to use both at home and abroad so when I created a new APN for it, I started getting 40mbps+ 4G again.

I'm delighted at the changes and the EU forcing this rule through in the summer. Previous trips on 2g wasn't even good enough for whatsapp.

• Advertisement

I know how to order a replacement sim, my query was is it necessary

So were u contacted to order a replacement sim for roaming or did your current sim suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cakedrive

Nobody contacted me about a new sim. I'm using the same SIM I've had since the 7.99 offer launched.

Now I'm able to use the same APN in Ireland and abroad without using the SIM Toolkit and get good quality 4g roaming. On the same sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

Emails could be going to people who have been roaming or who contacted 48 over roaming issues.Maybe rolled out wider after that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

For what its worth I was in NI last week and I had to go through the SIM app (48 SIM Menu) to get roaming to work. Was again in NI yesterday with the new SIM and I didn't have to change any setting for roaming to work (i.e. it happened automatically). Only thing I noticed was my speed was slower than the week before but that could of been for other reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Question for any current subscribers, Is 5g enabled on 48 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

People have reported picking up 5G in certain areas. See https://confusedbird.com/thread-146.html

I'd personally say we'll be waiting a while before it's common place. I personally think they'll drag it out as long as possible so to get people off the 8e a month deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks, I was with them previously and had decent 4g speeds. Once they implement esim I’ll be back to them. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 3uk started rolling it out a few days ago so hopefully 3irl and 48 do the same soon.

5G does appear but it's not consistent.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Probably depends on where you are. I get quite a bit of 5G around Limerick and Clare. Saying that, 5G is no guarantee of fast speeds even when you have the icon.

Any one got problems since changing to the new roaming sim card on 48/ No outgoing calls or SMS or any data for 8 days now.They are "looking into it".Otherwise known as a black hole.Email going to COMREG on Sat morning for Monday reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Yes I'm only getting 4G and 2-3 bars now whereas I used to regularly get 4G+ and 4-5 bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

In the UK now since changing to the new SIM. No signal. 48 Sim menu not doing anything like before. Thankfully dual SIM phone and other part working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Yes. two 48 sims 2 weeks old and we both lost all connection, bith voice and data as soon as we crossed into northern ireland last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Just ordered a new sim, how long does it take to arrive?

• Advertisement

2/3 days and pray to the gods that it works.

7 days since I changed mine over.4 of those with no service at all.Remaining 3 days with no outgoing service - no call,SMS or data.Still waiting.Complaint gone to Comreg this evening.It's a technical issue says 48 chat-that's all they ever have.

I would advise all affected by the new roaming sims and losing service to complain to Comreg straightaway.No point in engaging with 48 chat after initially informing them of your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Comreg only entertain a complaint if you've already tried the 48 complaints procedure.so formally complain, get a complaint number, wait the 7 days or whatever and then go to comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got new sim last week. Went abroad (EU) and roaming worked straight away, no settings change required. 4G with great speed.

Post edited by TheDriver on

Comreg do actually state that.It's not a new procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Kind of confused, got a sim with the intention of porting my Vodafone number over, have a dual sim Sony Xperia 5ii and am buying the 5iv from Harvey Norman for a grand and need a cheaper contract to offset the big upfront cost. (currently €35pm, down from €40pm when I bought the 5ii on a 24 month contract).

Had the two sims in the phone, no issues with 48, ready to buy the membership for the advertised €12.99pm when I'm brought to a contract summary page on the app which says the total cost is €25.98pm

I'm sorry, what? Is there really another 12.99 in vat a month or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

sounds like you added two memberships

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Pretty sure there’s a port charge of €12.99 now if you read the fine print. Next month will just be €12.99

Edit: yep

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looks like u got charged twice for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

No they've introduced a new connection charge of €12.99, the greedy b@#£&¥s!

But if you use this link to join, your second month will be free... refer.48.ie/peterd-1781.

Advertisement