Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Vodafone router with Sky Broadband?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering is it possible for me to use a Vodafone router if I use Sky BB?

The router I borrowed has the dual.band and I want to.try it out compared to Sky's pretty crap one.

Will it work like any randomly bought router or have Vodafone locked it down to only work with their BB?

Speed of my net is 10mb but the Sky router is really terrible.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes it will work.

I use a Sky router with VF BB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yes it will work.

Can I ask what model you are using?

I was able to grab the sky details needed but when I go into the vodafone router settings, I dont see any place to enter the sky details.

If you know any how to guide that would also be great! Found a few myself but I couldnt get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes it will work.

Do you? Vodafone Kit + Sky Service works. Sky Kit + Vodafone service is reportedly impossible as credentials are fixed in firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭Nollog

ED E wrote: »
    Do you? Vodafone Kit + Sky Service works. Sky Kit + Vodafone service is reportedly impossible as credentials are fixed in firmware.

I'd have to plug it back in to be sure, but I think there's PPP username and password settings in the sky hub settings, should be all that's needed to connect to Vodafone.

Sky on the other hand need some hardware code or something to verify so using a Vodafone router on sky needs some work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

joe123 wrote: »
    Can I ask what model you are using?

I was able to grab the sky details needed but when I go into the vodafone router settings, I dont see any place to enter the sky details.

If you know any how to guide that would also be great! Found a few myself but I couldnt get it going.

I'm using the Q hub, I didnt have to change anything. the authentication employed by VF/Sky is the same so it just works.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

I can stick up a picture later showing solid green DSL lights on both hubs connected to the same port.

I have VF BB, but the original VF hub wifi died, so got a new one but in the mean time stuck in a Sky Q hub, that worked without issue, but the white VF one matches the colour scheme of the room :pac: so changed to it.

But having serious DNS issues on it, plugged back in the Q one and been running that for the last couple of weeks.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'd have to plug it back in to be sure, but I think there's PPP username and password settings in the sky hub settings, should be all that's needed to connect to Vodafone.

Sky on the other hand need some hardware code or something to verify so using a Vodafone router on sky needs some work.

It doesnt.
    I have tested a VF router on a Sky line aswell and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I can stick up a picture later showing solid green DSL lights on both hubs connected to the same port.

Thats the expected behaviour.

Sky have been sloppy, it shouldn't be authing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is it definitely possible to use a Vodafone router with Sky? What exactly do I need to put into the Vodafone routers settings to get it to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was meant to be moving to sky from vodafone on Tuesday but the numptys moved me today (Sunday) before I got my sky router delivered

My old Vodafone router doesn't seem to be working with the new service, can anybody confirm if it is possible to get it working with new settings or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

If you can edit the login credentials on the Vodafone router enter the following.

username: anything@skydsl

password: anythingathome you want

VLAN: 10

Advertisement