Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

We ought to get into whatever black magic Wales use to get the draws they get, and they wonder why they have such a good RWC record...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We've had easier draws than them in 2015 and 2019.

They have a better draw than us this time because they were top 4 at the time of the draw and we were not.

Yeah, but tbf, that was bullshit.

Because of COVID, World Rugby made a decision that the rankings for a draw that was made on December 14th 2020 would be based on the world rankings as at the start of 2020, rather than at the date the draw was made.

Wales were 9th in the world by December 2020. We beat them twice that year, a 24-14 win in the Aviva in Feb in the 6N, and a 32-9 win in the Aviva in the Autumn Nations Cup in Nov 2020.

It just once again highlights how unnecessary and nonsensical it is to make the draw so far out from the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

How is France better than New Zealand in 2019? (bare in mind this is the crap France we are talking about not the current one).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Backrow though is the most competitive position in the squad.

We have a test lion on the bench, as well as Coombes, Prendergast and Baird in the wider squad. Not to mention that Beirne (I know he is injured) and Henderson have experience at 6.

Then we have Connors to come back in and Deegan who featured in the AIs. Not to mention experienced internationals like Murphy and Ruddock not getting a look in.

There's a lot of talent knocking on the door and VDF is WPOTY and Doris is playing like he will be player of the six nations.

I think we should play someone different (one someone) against Italy to bed in an additional option in with an otherwise first choice backrow and build familiarity in the Italy game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Coombes should be ahead of Conan on bench. No question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Huge question if you ask me. I like the looks of Coombes, but not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Be better than Doris and conan at 8. He's not.

What has Conan done recently that was better than what Coombes is doing now?

Not to mention the fact that Coombes does this in both the 2nd and back rows at the highest club level against the best teams in Europe

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Would like to see Coombes get a run in 6 Jersey v Italy and larmour get a run at 14.

Not looking for wholesale changes just a look at an additional player in the pack and the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Ya like to see another 6 option getting a run next day, o mahony shouldn't be automatic starter every game as unlike other two backrow comrades he isn't performing at top top level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Derak McNamara goes into great detail on how statistically brilliant POM is. While it can be unseen on first viewing POM brings a balance to the back row that Not many others can.

Coombes and to A degree Baird could be more X factor options at 6 but you’re really running the risk of unsettling a back row that is preforming better than any in the world.

I would like to see a change for the Italy match and think Coombes could have bigger impacts from the bench than Conan but POM is preforming very well and should keep his jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Performed against higher quality opposition on a consistent basis

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The usual caveat that provincial form gets you into the wider squad and what you do there gets you into the team applies. However, I would like to see Coombes get a shot against Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Every year people call for fringe players to be tried against Italy. It doesn't happen.

Injuries are the only way fringe players get game time in any of the 5 6ns games. I don't expect this year to be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I don't think Coombes as a 2nd row should really be an option for Ireland. Fine to fill in at provincial level, like Ruddock or Jerome Kaino, but play him where he's actually great. We have Henderson, Bierne and Baird who can play 2nd row to a much higher standard and fill in at 6.

I desperately want Coombes to get his chances to make a claim before the world cup, but I fear he's running out of time and the coaches have a lot of faith in our 6 and 8 options (with good reason). Didn't Coombes fall fairly ill when he was rumoured to get a start last year? Really felt for him then and it's possible that set him back. People are disagreeing a lot about Conan's form vs Coombes, but I reckon the persistence with Conan is likely to be the different qualities he brings over Coombes that the coaches might value playing next to Doris or just generally suits the team better.

I'm more intrigued by Hodnett - surely he's overtaken Timoney for the 3rd choice 7 race (VDF + POM)? Depends on how well Connors continues to play having just come back from his injury and how the weigh his tackling ability against everything Hodnett brings. Leinster fans might feel for Scott Penny but I think Hodnett is much more of a breakdown threat and his carrying is better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I love Penney but I don't see any world where he gets international honours for Ireland in the near future.

He could step up in level over the next few years but I think you need to feature in big games for your province before playing internationally.

Penney has bags of talent but he wouldn't start for Leinster in a european cup game if VDF got injured. I can't argue for him to play for Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scott penny is 23 years of age, a full 6 years younger than JVDF

A bit early to be writing off his international prospects.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In fairness, Ciaran said "in the near future" not "ever", which I'd be in total agreement with.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If VdF were missing for a H Cup match, would you select Connors over Penny? I’d go with Penny personally, Connors hasn’t been back long enough to just drop him in ahead of Penny IMO.

I’d gladly see Penny start for Ireland FWIW, I think he is a brilliant player now, don’t think he needs a few years to get to another level.

I absolutely agree that Coombes shouldn't be a first choice 2nd row for Ireland, but in the context of a RWC squad of 33 players, having people who can cover multiple positions is very valuable. Players get injured or suspended and suddenly you're looking at playing players out of position in knockout games.

So Conan is better because he's been given an opportunity to play international rugby?

How many Tries has he scored this year for any team?

zero?

Very consistent

How many has Coombes scored? 11

(Including 4 Heineken cup tries)

(just using this statistic because it's very hard to find the other stats for the full season broken down by player)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Try scoring isn't really a good metric in this context, especially for a backrow. If that were the case then Scott Penny, with 25 trys in 50 appearances, would be knocking down the door for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Tries alone is a ridiculous marker to compare players. You have to look at everything. I want to see Coombes get a shot but you need to give a lot more than tries scored for why he should be picked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree. Superb player and he reminds me a little of VDF about 5 years ago. But, he's not ripping up trees. In fact, I think he will be capped against tier 2 nations. I would say that he'll be a lad who gets about a dozen caps over his career. I rate Hodnett higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conan is selected due to his play his experience and his knowledge of the systems. Conan is a complete player. Tries don't mean that a player fits in. As someone mentioned Penny and his record. If you select lads based on tries scored, POM wouldn't be selected. While I agree that Coombes is playing well, so is Conan. Conan has 35 caps, he's doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth noting that it looks like there will be a back row cum second row in the Ireland squad next weekend. It just won't be Coombes. I'm not sure he's as close to the 23 as many people think.

But like any of these players about whom we always hear "WHAT MORE DOES HE HAVE TO DO", the answer isn't looking great against rubbish URC teams. It's about doing what Farrell asks of them.

And the reality is, a lot of the time, the player in question just isn't good enough to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’s obviously done something Farrell has asked of him since he’s gotten back in the squad ahead of Deegan.

And he hasn’t just done it against rubbish URC teams. He’s been brilliant in Europe this season.

Advertisement