Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Shocking pass from McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

He didn't - it's poor commentary as Russel is on the wing and McCarthy at scrum half.

Two scrum infringements against Clarkson in two scrums since he came on. That's disappointing.

TBF - second one was harsh, could have easily just reset. Their scrum half was taking an age to put the ball in. There have been two powerful scrums from Leinster since changing the front row too.

Liam Turner has been very good today again - really physical in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Hugh Cahill too busy talking about JJ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a brilliant counterattack from JOB. Great pace and footwork to beat two defenders and the awareness to to find his man in the outside.

• Advertisement

Lovely bit of play from Jimmy O'Brien - he's been so composed and quietly excellent in all he's had to do tonight.

Great composure from Barron too and good hands to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Brilliant from O’Brien, Barron very unselfish also.

Nick McCarthy has been decidedly poor since coming in. At least two handling errors, couple of poor decisions, couple of slow to move the ball situations and at least 3 loose kicks. Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought that pass from JOB was forward.

Regardless, great power from Tector to go through the Dragons tackler.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Like to see that in slow motion, thought Tector led with his elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

He is unfortunately not close to the required level, even for third choice. A pity Patterson went down to Munster.

So much of Leinster's URC success in the last 5 / 6 years is built on the backs of Rhys Ruddock and Luke McGrath. Both were excellent tonight.

Leinster were pretty sloppy all told. Dragons showed up and were very game for it, made a mess of a lot of rucks and worked hard.

That said, we had 5 Academy players getting good game time tonight, including a debutant, and were obviously missing huge numbers to Ireland.

Thought our experienced guys in Ruddock, McGrath and O'Brien were the difference makers, but Turner, Osborne, Penny, McKee and Deeny all had good games too. Barron had a good little cameo too - he has an odd physique for a hooker, looks very tall and lean, but was accurate out of touch (bar one confused one), busy around the field with a turnover and a good try assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Didn't realize that Barron was playing. I thought he blew his knee out v Chile?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ross Moloney had a poor game by his standards. We lacked composure at times but there were huge positives there. Especially for the young players. I know Dragons are a poor side but that was a good run out all considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Thought overall a good runout, you could see they had a nice 2 week break with many blowing off some cobwebs. Thought Deeny and Turner had good games, shame they didn't get the ball more to Osborne as he looks like he'll always break through the defence.

Ruddock was immense. Serious shift. Penny was brilliant too. It was a disjointed effort in spells but, job done. Fair play to Dragons for trying their best. They had some good spells, just not much clinical nous.

HB getting a decent run and I think he's doing reasonably well. Couple of errors, but he played some nice rugby. Good to see him getting minutes.

I really thought Lee Barron looked good in the loose. Industrious effort and put himself about. McKee is a keeper, he's very good. I would not be surprised if the give him a straight contract. Hooker is a position of strenght.

The Hanrahan try should have been called back for a forward pass. Leinster last try looked like there was a forward pass also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Good win in the end especially consider we had Mike *I love to penalise every little thing and make every game I ref slow & boring as p!ss as a result* Adamson refereeing. This reminded me why im dreading the game in Rome on Saturday, going to need alot of pee breaks to get through it!

In a couple of weeks, we could get Ngati and Henshaw back. If Henshaw is fit, I would guess that he'd need minutes with Leinster to get up to speed.

• Advertisement

There should be contract updates soon and I hope that Turner is retained, if he's up for renewal. He has had a great season! I believe he's only signed for a year.

I'd keep Martin Maloney too. Very combative lad. It's a shame he got the injury when he did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What age is Turner? All the talk is (rightly) about Osbourne this season but Turner has been performing extremely well every time he's picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think he is 23.

I see him more as a squad player than a future international but he definitely had been impressing.

At the start of the year I was a bit worried about squad depth in the back line but Turner and Russel have really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I mean this as a compliment, Turner looks like he could be the next ROL.

I think Turner can be a fantastic player. He could even be capped internationally. His acceleration is something else.

Russell has been some find. He's going to be a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm just wondering who we'll be talking about next year!

A lot of the young lads step up so impressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not convinced on Russell yet, but he's got lots of time to prove himself, but he's prone to a good few mistakes. Turner looks decent alright.

Long way to go though all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think this is an extremely fair comment. ROL was an exemplary squad player. Even managed one cap for Ireland but was never going to be a regular feature. I think Turner could be in the same bracket as that. Very good at URC, could probably step in at ERC if needed and not let you down. The type of back line player we really need when the internationals are away.

The lads coming up are exciting. I think that Aitzol King will be a very good wing, in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

He wasnt great in the first few games, but he has upped his game significantly and his finishing record is already impressive

Advertisement