Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic emergency lighting

• 19-02-2023 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm sure the response will be you don't know what you're doing, you can't test what you've done, hire a professional etc. But I've rang several sparks to be told this can't be done, I'm busy, I've a 2 month lead time, too small etc.

So I'm asking straight out can you have domestic emergency lights and if I get a non maintained one like the one below can I just take neutral and earth from the existing lighting circuit and just use the permanent live light to the emergency light?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/robus-eblana-indoor-outdoor-maintained-emergency-rectangular-led-bulkhead-white-3-3w-160lm/2221g

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Would something like this suit. Just leave the switch on

https://www.wesco.ie/products/p-ledr100ledes-01.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP you can have whatever lights you like.

Maintained = always on + will remain on for x number of hours if power goes out.

Non Maintained = wired so it comes on only after the power has failed for x number of hours.

afaik maintained would normally be the sort of lights you see in public buildings for emergency exits that are lit all the time over emergency doors etc.

The only issue with them is that the batteries have a limited life span.

As for wiring I'd still use a switch so you can test it and isolate it for maintenance. They make one specifically for the job https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1146393-1-gang-10a-dp-emergency-test-keyswitch-white

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Great job that, use existing wiring and a key switch

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

If I'm looking at the right manual online this seems like the job just stick in a key switch for testing in the permanent live and leave on and use the switch live for normal use on and off like an ordinary light

It's a microwave sensor light .Saves needing a separate permanent feed

You should be able to replace an existing light and change light switch to keyswitch

If sensor emergency light doesn't suit you'll need a separate permanent feed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Just leave the switch turned on.this will give you a permanent feed at the light.you will need to put a small cable loop between SL and PL. the light will then operate as a sensor light when movement is detected

the light will operate as an emergency fitting and will illuminate when power is disconnected (or switch is turned off)

to prevent accidentally turning off the power you can replace the switch with the one Kirk linked.

Hadn't thought of those lights before for domestic

Saves a lot of hassle for emergency backup

Sensor lighting is very handy for corridors etc, lot safer for anyone drunk or trying to find a light switch

Then again there's so many battery sensor lights out there now you'd get away without hardwiring mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

Not sure which would work best for what I need, if I was removing a light I'd prefer to replace it with a light that can be turned off and on for normal use, or if I should just stick up a light dedicated as a emergency light, I'm just sick of getting up recently at 4 or 5 in the morning and it's pitch black as there are somekind of upgrade works going and with the new housing estate building down the road

Dunno would I bother wiring for a emergency bulkhead

A few battery lights off Amazon would probably do

The way I used to do bulkheads was just leave a loop on the lighting t+e as there was no need for testing domestic EL , dunno did that change

Advertisement