Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just watched the first half back now could'nt see the game yesterday, thought we looked solid going forward but still gave up too many good chances in defence.

Thought we played ok, controlled the game well when we went ahead, Allison the stand out for us again, best in the world by a comfortable margin.

Thought Bajcetic was quite in the first half, Fab played well enough and Hendo was driving them on with his energy in the high press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Concussion affects your judgement, that's why there are precautionary guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah look me too, hardly wishing bad things on him.

Just don't like this narrative that one, potentially concussion related, performance in the CL somehow turned everyone against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Spurs grab 4th, if we win our two games in hand on them we'd be a point behind them, all if's and buts , but one of those games is at home to Wolves, our home record is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yes but if Newcastle win their one game in hand over Spurs, they'd be leapfrogging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Was it ever confirmed he had concussion or just put out there to protect him, if he had concussion then the medical team were at fault ( did they face any consequences?). Even excluding that match, his performances were poor, plus Klopp got rid of him after that final, and even when it was made clear to him that he had no future at the club, he still was happy to sit in the reserves rather than try to resurrect his career and reputation with a slightly lower level team. I hope he plays well in the final and go some way to redeeming his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Is there 90,mins in the returned players,the RM watch is a wee bit early for them I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah it was fully confirmed by a hospital a few days later. He wasn't a good enough keeper for us anyway, but his other errors were just him not being at the top level. That game was an outlier in his performances, with the fella doing crazy things, so I'll give him a pass on that.

He gets far too much horrible vitriol - it's not his fault he wasn't good enough for us. We had Mignolet who already wasn't good enough, and instead of bringing in a proper first choice replacement, they took a punt on a cheap young fella. He ended up way more in the spotlight because of Mignolet's own poor performances since the club were so weak in the GK department. Had he stayed as backup playing a few league cup games and the odd fill-in game he'd have been fine, that's his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Karius played well for about 2-3 months and then started to lose the flights of long shots for some reason. There were warning signs against Roma, I believe. He was a better 'keeper than Migs in the sense that he might save a shot that wasn't straight at him once in a while.

He was going to serve as backup to Alisson, but between his Instagram whoring, his awful pre-season the following year, and being considered more saleable, he got the chop.

What's the bets Gillespie starts for Newcastle anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Back in the race for 4th anyway it's really important this club continues to qualify for champions league. We are still the best experienced squad in that race and can go on a run to securing it I have no doubt. Chelsea won't get close so it's between us, Newcastle and spurs. Newcastle are falling away and spurs are very inconsistent, lost more games than us already.

We have found goals again and that's what you need to finish there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Don't feel bad for Karius

Firmino looked so sharp against Newcastle, lots of nice work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

And 2 very sloppy passes that led to them breaking away at pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Whatever about the question marks regarding Nunez's ability and suitability to Klopp's system (he is still rough and not refined), I think there can be no questions about his workrate, energy and enthusiasm. Watching back some highlights here and he is all-action and committed. He's not going to go hiding in a game or not give maximum effort. Which is a positive.

Having a fit & firing Nunez for the rest of the season and we get top 4 IMO. (Of course supplemented by Salah, Alisson, VVD, Trent etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lets hope he is not injured, I am still trying to work out how that was a freekick to Newcastle in the challenge were he hurt his shoulder

Very much hoping. The guys returning are returning from long term injuries so rust is going to be a factor.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing that Nunez has picked up 2 short term small injuries this season. Is he a quick healer or does he miss games at the slightest knock? Or is it too early to say on either. His fellow countryman used to play on through any sort of knock or injury as he had that warrior heart. The South American fire inside of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I love watching replays of the Nunez goal. There is something so 'punch-the-air, life-affirmingly' brilliant about the way he absolutely leathers the ball into the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

That isn't a narrative whatsoever. The club and the fans left him very much alone because of that final.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I post on the liverpool transfer rumours site and the traffic after we win is non existant. People love to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Any sign of Darwin at training?

I think there is a press conference today so we should get some news there.

My biggest concern is that he tries first time hits or over rising volleys way too often.

Looks great when it comes off but less so when he apparently has one of the lowest xGs in the league (maybe the Lowest).

His assist for Mo against Everton was progression in terms of his overall awareness but he needs to take a touch and kill the ball more often before thinking of shooting. Too many good positions get butchered by miracle ball whacks that weren't on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

He has 6 league goals from an Xg of 9.1 so he “should” have more goals than he has.

He has missed a lot of chances where he has taken a touch so I think that’s why he prefers to hit them first time - but he would be far better getting his technique right to take a touch and then shoot as Salah would.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it's an irresistible desire to hit something just because it is bouncing, others it is taking a chance way to narrow and shooting despite not recognizing this, others it is a lack of awareness of colleagues.

Im still hoping for some rhyme and reason from his play, a sense that this is a man who can reliably repeat even if he doesn't get a lucky ricochet of his body/arm.

Doesn't stop him being a potential menace but we are all used to expecting alot more from our front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I didn't get a proper look at the Match on Saturday, only highlights as I was up to my eye's

How was Fabinho?

Was he any good or still looking like a lost lamb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I thought he was poor.

It seems like he gets the ball stuck under his feet any time it's played to him. He can be under absolutely no pressure but if he has to take a touch or make a pass it always comes off like a desperate lunge that could go anywhere. He used to have genuine poise on the ball, the little pressure-resistant changes of direction and 180s we've seen from Bajcetic recently were a staple in Fabinho's play and now it feels like the best we can hope from him in possession is that he gets rid of it before he turns it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Fab still poor - midfield tomorrow will be interesting. At this stage Henderson and Bajcetic will surely start.

I'd prefer we go with Elliott for the 3rd spot but suspect Klopp will go with Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Advertisement

This doesn't give us too much information regarding being fit tomorrow or not. I guess it's not a long term one or we would have been told it.

Sounds fit in that case, not ruled out, it was a knock, real players play with knocks, hope he's not a Sturridge type, '' oh i broke a nail, that's me done for 2 weeks'' 😅

Firmino was the only in form player early in season, his minutes per goals was right up there, he was on course for best season goal wise , until he got injured, if he picks up from where he left off we'll do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Really hope Fabinho grows a set of new legs for next season rather than get rid of him, as when is on it there is no one really who breaks up play like he does, Bajcetic is trying to be, but obviously is still very young...

Chelsea only having 2 wins in their last 14 league games is actually astounding, this season we've looked as bad as we ever have under Klopp and we've still won 8 of our last 14.

He's training at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

John Henry confirms club not for sale but their open to investment.

Great I couldn't stomach the possibility of the club state owned. Get the right people around Klopp again in the sporting structure and get whatever investment is needed into the squad in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

Good news alright. Hopefully it will lead to the purse strings being loosened slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

The sale was a non-story massively spun out by the press in the first place. They were and still are looking for investment in the sporting group as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm delighted to read that

That being said, if it is the Qatari bid that gets United, it is hard to see how we compete in the future. Eventually City, Newcastle and United (maybe Chelsea) will blow everyone else out of the water financially

I'd rather be true to our ideals and be the underdog, but I do fear winning the league may become an impossible dream in time

Unless they actually start enforcing FFP. One can dream...

I'm sure with a good run in the CL a CL spot next year, and an investment of 500 million, we'd be find to compete with anyone,

Who has 500 million for a slice of the pie

And how big a slice would it buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If the club is making lots of money, which it is, then there should be no reason for them not to invest in the squad.

Most player purchases can be done over a period of years so it doesn't have to be a massive outlay straight up.

Maybe we should partner with Humm or Klarna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

I have been of the opinion that dont think negatively about our future - but I see us as fighting for the 4th place spot over the next few years. Too much money in other teams and it's only a matter of time before it all comes good for them.. City, United, Newcastle, Chelsea might be too hard to compete with.

Michael Edwards was a legend at getting transfers done at just the right time in our history - I dont see all the stars aligning any time soon for a Bellingham or Rice to join us.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

United always had the money for large transfers and huge salaries. It didn't always work for them but they were always able to compete with the big spending clubs regardless of who the owners are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Agreed, but united unfortunately are a much more attractive fit now if they have new owners, a winning manager and champions league football.

Sooo easy for top 4 "so to say" teams to fall out of the running in as little as 1 year of football or 2 transfer windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Summer will be a big test for FSG. They have to spend quite a lot of money on the squad. No other way around it. Something they generally have not done before without significant outgoings first. And possibly with no CL football. They don't come up with the funds for a rebuild and the fanbase will be in uproar again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Club was never up for a full sale they are always looking for investment just, put out the club is up for sale means they get away with not spending money on transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FSG have never provided funds for transfers so I'm not sure where this narrative comes from or why it's brought up so often.

The club spends money it generates on transfers and that's it. And in the unlikely event of FSG putting funds into the club towards transfers you can guarantee it'll be by way of a loan which will have to be repaid which will effect future funds available for transfers.

• Advertisement

Yup.

Cl money, trophy money, sponsorship and player sales (primarily Coutinho).

Id say we've spent a good chunk of our budget with the last two signings.

I think there's a major case for selling Salah if over 100m can be gotten. We've six forwards and no midfielders.

Advertisement