Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Heard that a few weeks back and didn’t mention it here after I was caught out by the Killian Clarke to Gaels rumour last year.

Didn’t We Are Cavan mention the possibility of the Gaels previously for him too?

I dunno, Killygarry have 30 to 40 at most underage levels. Sends out the wrong message for a club that big to be entering the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Was it mentioned on WAC patreon? I don't use it.

Yeah Killygarry have big numbers and a progressive club. Brilliant facilities with the indoor hall also. A lot of players from around the town area are choosing to play with them underage over the Gaels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I am usually iffy about Cavan being favourites, but we need to be completely focussed. But i think we will. I predict the Holla to have a big game, he's got a lot to prove and the last time we played them it was a horror show for him. With some players coming back to prove, this should be a win for us.

Please stop mentioning that game. I think i still get nightmares about it.

Looking forward to the u20s, but it's giving for an awful damp evening. It is February in Cavan, so i shouldn't act surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

What's the story with tickets for Breffni tomorrow? Can't see them listed anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

There hardly taking Johnny cash anyway maybe there is no charge to these games?

It is listed everywhere as a development league so perhaps

That’s my understanding. No ticketing for this competition. We can all go buck wild on a freebie!!

U20s win by a point tonight.

Team for Sunday just announced. David Brady at midfield with Clarke. Gerry Smith in for Oisin Kiernan. Other than that, team is unchanged.

Gearoid, James Smith or McLoughlin not in the 26. Jack McKenna is.

Anyone make the U20 game? Looked like a good comeback following on Twitter.

Great to see Jack McKenna get on the 26. Like O'Neill he's really served his time with not much reward, hopefully he gets some game time Sunday.

• Advertisement

It was a horrible evening for football. First half against the breeze we did well and were in control, up 5-2. Then Fermanagh put a serous press and completely dominated our kick outs and led 7-5. Second half we were second best for king spells, and Fermanagh controlled play. They had lots of very fast players and showed better composure.

having said that we showed some serious grit. Tynan kicked a peach from the terrace side, a lovely mark from Kearney and Oran Rehill hit two points- the equaliser was superb. Lovely free from Tynan to win it. Crowe did well at full back and Brady at centre half also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

Mckenna must be rightly committed alright to stick in there he has been injured a good bit aswell.

Longford had a good O Byrne cup campaign but a very poor start to the league. Hardly be as bad again tomorrow after a 2 week break, but Cavan should continue the winning run.

McKenna is one I’ve been waiting to watch and would love to see him get 20 minutes. He’s a big strong player who can win ball and break lines. He could be a very exciting addition.

Can changes to the 26 be made tomorrow? I assume so because Mickey has rightly been waffling if James Smith & McKiernan are not in the squad.

McKenna was injured in the warm up for one of the league games in Breffni last year. I remember him looking absolutely devastated walking off towards the changing rooms. Still there plugging away a year later without gametime, can't but respect that determination.

Local derby tomorrow, heavy pitch, big wind expected, opponents fighting for their lives... Good test for our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I think there's a fine if you do but pretty sure westmeath changed one of their panel for the 1st match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Big win for Antrim tonight, they may not be the pushover we thought after the mc kenna cup game... But that's for another day

Win tomorrow be it convincing or a slogfest and we are really in the hunt for promotion

Hard to read into anything to do with Tipp. They were in a worse state two weeks ago than alot of the Division 4 teams we played last year.

Game felt like a bit of a damp squib, although in my area of the stand people were being very negative.

Longford were poor and both teams made a lot of errors. Our forwards seemed to have problems making the ball stick in the second half.

Conor Madden with 4 points off the bench and Paddy Lynch with 3.

Worrying potential injuries to Oisin Brady and McVeety. I also thought Niall Carolan was hobbling a bit coming off.

Was disappointed with a couple of the subs. Would have liked to have seen McKenna get a few minutes over players we’ve seen plenty of before.

No sign of Gearoid when James Smith & McLoughlin were doing fitness work before the game. He must be a long way off.

Nobody enjoyed that game. We won without coming out of 2nd gear but it never felt like we cut loose. Still looks to be a lot of hesitancy up front. Oisin Brady actually taking on a man for the goal was a rare sight.

Still, I'd put down the damp squib more to Longford being atrocious. Can't complain too much about a 10 point win. Injuries are a worry, Oisin Brady looked in a right bit of distress.

Fermanagh beating Down has blown things wide open. Next week will be 'moving week' with us playing Offaly and Westmeath playing Down. If we win we'd have one foot in Div 2.

• Advertisement

No more then Division 4, Division 3 is a hard watch. If Cavan get up to Division 2 they have to stay there for the next number of years. Look at the crowds Armagh and these get in the top Divisions or Cork playing Dublin in Division 2

There was a decent crowd in Breffni today. There was no intensity or atmosphere to it though. Tipp gave us a shock for a few minutes two weeks ago but Longford were way off pace.

The game was so pedestrian that it’s hard to even pick out who played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

As expected Longford are rubbish. Offaly, Down and Fermanagh will be stiffer tests. How did David Brady do?

There was going to be a crowd with a local game but the pace of the football in Division 3 is slower then the higher Divisions.

Offaly away next weekend. Westmeath beat them today.

Did well. Better than the last day. Memorably knocked a Longford player off the ball at one stage. Got a score, could have went for goal. He looks like hes playing with safety first in mind but that's true of most of the team. The best option of the new midfielders IMO.

Cavan did what they needed to do but Longford were very poor. Funny enough they had some decent forwards and caused us occasional issues but their defensive set up was appalling.

I would have loved to see us rip them up in the 2nd half but on reflection with a big game in 7 days I suppose managing the game to a comfortable win was the right choice.

David Brady was a 6/10 for me. He's doing his bit but not really taking the bull by the horns unlike Brandon Boylan who was excellent.

You'd have to be worried about injuries to Oisin Brady (seemed in a lot of pain) and McVetty. Hopefully nothing major.

The most wrecked Cavan player today was James Smith who almost died in front of the terrace after doing his runs with Jason Mcloughlin - good to see him back.

A win next day I think is a key result as it takes the pressure off the last 3 games, 2 of which looked like gimmes at the start of the season but Fermanagh and Antrim look to be better than 1st believed.

I think it's clear at this stage that we have played the two worst teams in the Division. With 3 of our Ulster comrades in the final 3 games, none of who will give us any respect, a win next week is vital to reduce the chances of the party being spoiled.

Oisin Brady has an ankle issue and will need a scan. Fingers crossed he won't be out long and can continue his breakout season. Lynch can come straight in but we are lacking a left footed freetaker. Oisin covering frees from both sides has been a somewhat overlooked advantage in the last few games.

I think it's also clear we've bet the 2nd best team in the group in Westmeath.

Brady missed a couple of frees today didn’t he. He skied one in the first half and was it one of his hit the post second half?

Ryan O’Neill will be looking over his shoulder with Madden scoring four and Lynch three off the bench. Brandon Boylan outperformed him today too.

Is it just me or does Cian Madden only shoot when he absolutely has to? I feel he always looks for another pass when a shot is clearly on.

• Advertisement

Westmeath away to Down next weekend will be interesting. Fermanagh got a late win today, so Down need a win to stay in contention. Downs best forward Barry O Hagan done his ACL a few weeks ago. Caolan Mooney not back for another few months after his own ACL injury.

The Johnston brothers suppose to be back in training with Down. They haven't featured yet this year

Advertisement