Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

How is it the GK options are so poor for a county with such good players?

At this point I think Joyce needs to start looking at some outfield players who are good under the high ball and good with their feet. Goalkeeping doesn't rely on shot stopping ability really.

Just watching on tg4 now, could they not have given the crossbar a scrub? It's all green!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

They're making a balls of the upgrade so far. They built the new stand which is partially finished but it seems no real planning was put into it. It lines up with the old stand which is grand if the plan is to continue it on and then roof the lot. But then it's too far from the pitch unless they widen the pitch. So right now it's just a load of seats, 15m from the pitch where if it rains you get soaked.

Cooke needs to get a game or two in midfield. There's no way Conroy lasts 70mins at the height of championship and we have no ready replacement apart from Cooke. No point heading into championship without having given him time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Gleeson has had a fairly decent League in all honesty. I wish we gave lads like James Keane and Conor Fla a go this season, but Gleeson only made one mistake today that you could argue his outfield forced on him when he had to risk a short one on the sideline to Sean Kelly. It should be Joyce and Co absolutely hammering quick kickout strategies in the outfield. It's a glaring failure in Joyce's tenure that carried over from Kevin Walsh and is tactically naive at intercounty.

McDaid looked ropey enough today too prior to going off injured. I'd be wrapping him in cotton-wool and give a lad like Maher the chance. I think it's time for Paul Kelly to be thrown in at midfield again too off the bench. We tried it against lesser teams last year but he needs to step up at senior imo. Peter Cooke is too windy to be thrown into midfield, I'd leave him CHF for now. Conroy might not have the legs but he's reliable to give us 60 minutes judging by today (albeit his was wing forward for a lot of the second half).

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I agree on Gleeson I think he did very little wrong today but the Galway crowd were gasping in the stand when he had the ball. It mightn't be helping the lad.

He ran out to play a ball along the ground in the first half and it took a Tyrone lad out of the equation. Nicely done I thought.

But everyone around me was laughing nervously like it was a massive mistake. He did fine today. Though Tyrone gifted Galway every short kickout so there was no pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

Have to agree with above poster re mc daid. Was carrying an injury into mayo game and whilst his performances have been good we should be protecting him as will need him fit and ready come summertime and he's talking plenty of hits. Heard Joyce interview post match and was asked whether Walsh be back for Donegal game and said no. Mulcahy had surgery on wrist and be out for 6 weeks which is pity as would have liked him get more game time in league and give option of bringing Sean Kelly out to wing back to offer us more of attacking threat.

Know they doing lot of work in tuam last few years to improve facilities but surely they could get the powerwasher or paintbrushes out as the place looks dreadful on tv which undoes some of the good work they doing . Doesnt help that weather is always seems be poor whenever they have any decent game.

Even if Walsh isn't back I hear that McBrearty had a bad hamstring tear and will miss the remainder of the League. That's a big boost to our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ridiculous performance by tyrone in the first half today , with the talent on the field it was rubbish , ye have nothing to worry about against the likes of monahgan and donegal either ye are far too good for both teams , i actually think the mayo game could bite ye in the backside in terms of making a league final place

its a huge turnaround though over the last 6 or 7 years and all without some seriously key players this season

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

There's a lot things can be done around Tuam to improve it without big money in the short term, I'd urge the committee to look back on the game in detail and see the stuff that sticks out on camera as been so dated, a lick of paint would go a long way, there was an old Barrell at the back of joyce, simple things but surly there's a committee there that have a bit of pride in the place , don't expect public funding if you are doing to be so poor with what you have got so far.

to be fair the surrounding area is terrible , last year when i was up there i parked outside a recreantly burnt out house , i was parked on the corofin road , not to mention the christening at that took place at the top of the street ,the marquee was still half up and the broken bottles still on the road

instead of moving them people out of that area how about moving their ponies out of the fields beside the ground provide proper parking , the town center is excellent as is the plaza on the west side of town , the haybarn shed is the least of the problems in tuam

• Advertisement

In fairness, I'm talking about inside Tuam stadium. I don't give a **** about outside. Every half decent town in Ireland has the same problems as described. That a government issue. People give out about the traffic in Salthill but the place looks decent on TV.

no no no , the government get the blame for everything these days , its shocking out side that ground , if people have pride in their club or area they sort this crap out tuam is the worst i have seen and i have been all over the country multiple times over the years you cant even start to defend it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lucky to be goin in only 3 points down... mistake by Gleeson concedes a penalty and Donegal goal it.. Then in form Tierney rescues with a goal... What's wrong with our lads that they can't take on a point that's on from out the field... they seem to be trying to work it in till they're a few yards from the goal... how many times do we drop the ball short or into the goalies hands? In trouble up in leterkenny imv

We have the wind in the second half, have faith.

We've so much less of the ball than Donegal. It'll be hard to get the scores with that.

They've left 6 or 7 good scoring chances out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Bad day at the office there. Left needing a win now out of three tough fixtures. Shane Walsh can't come back soon enough

We could and probably should have won but a point from an away match v Donegal isn't a disaster. Id be happy with securing survival and re introducing the injured players back as they get fit. Sean Kelly needs a break or we will pay for it come championship . The ref was very poor.

Armagh away and Kerry at home will be nearly the hardest 2. To me survival is riding on the Monaghan match up next.

The hurlers are playing absolute dross. Limerick are well below par and we're hanging on by our fingernails. Real issues in the FF line with the new lads coughing up turnovers from good ball played in.

Similar issues in the football. Davoren turned over at least 4 or 5 balls that where 80% in his favour then Finnerty came in and lost 3 or 4 of the same. Big men getting turned over like that is unforgivable. You lose mobility and pace in the hope of securing and retaining possession but end up with none of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

What was the penalty for? Couldn't see Gleeson at fault for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

From being at it the ref kept motioning with his hands "a push" possibly wasn't Gleeson and maybe someone else? Don't know what it looked like on TV but thought it was septic performance. Only when Finnerty came on did things improve. Hard to see anyone given a chance so far in that full forward line displacing Comer/Shane/Rob. Problem is we need to improve a bench and not sure that's happening either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

6 points potentially won't be enough to stay up imo. They'll need two good showings out of the next 3 games but I think it's more than possible. The gamble on Gleeson backfired today and I think a couple of lads like Eoin Finnerty, Ian Burke and Cooke haven't taken their opportunity or stood up yet. Tierney has however been very impressive last two matches. Rob Finnerty was also a real breath of fresh air in the second half today too, despite still recovering from his injury.

Less said about the hurling the better. Tom Monaghan and Conor Cooney both went well but we were probably fortunate not to have faced a Limerick side out of 2nd gear. Kiely read our stoneage first half tactics of a long hit and hope into a one man full forward line with the sweeper. It was a great game for a lad like Tom Morrissey who was popping scores over from long range. Hayes very lucky not to be sent off and I believe Mannion was fortunate to avoid a second yellow too. Feel like we've not learnt from what worked against Limerick in 2022 and adapted our tactics bar the Wexford game.

Ian Burke needs to be staying much closer to goal. If he's not helping to unlock a full back line with his smart handpassing, then I don't know what he's bringing that a converted wing back wouldn't bring. He's just coming 40 yards out to handpass it backwards.

No subs named for the footballers. Wonder is that an indication he's back........

He was training at the start of the week anyways. I don't see why they'd hold back the subs list if he wasn't featuring.

Shocked that this wasn't bumped. A massive win with a man down for a full 40 minutes. The kinda guts we hadn't seen until 2022. Huge positives too. Lads like young Sweeney, Daly, Conroy and the Kelly brothers at fullback really stood up when it mattered.

Cooke is a very lucky boy tonight. A stupid deserved red that we survived. Not sure he has the minerals for senior intercounty.

Plenty of positives. Even with the sending off I felt we were in an ok position at half time with the strength of the breeze. Monaghan for whatever reason ran out of ideas very quick in the second half.

Gleeson had his most comfortable game in a long time. Dealt with dropping balls and a couple of hanging high ones. Kickouts for the most part were on point aided massively by having willing runners (as mentioned here a million times best goalie can do little without a kickout plan)

Defence continues to me the meanest in the division with all looking to break the line when in possession. John Daly marshalled everything fantastically well.

PC seems to prosper well in league football. Sweeney/Heaney/Tierney got on a mountain of ball.

Rob Finnerty showed what we've been missing. No thinking when opportunity arises pulls the trigger.

Shane back. Tomo on the bench. Depth wise we could do with a couple more shooters to step up. If Tomo or possibly Ian Burke could fill that void Galway would be in a much better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You'd imagine gbfm would keep listeners up to date with the score in the John kerins Cup, twould'nt kill them, they went over to O Dwyer with a minute left but didn't bother waiting with the commentary till the whistle, and then that was the end of it, no update back to the music

• Advertisement

Hard to understand them at times. Very random what they decide is or isn't important. Good hard fought win.

Advertisement