Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Jebus, talk about the season of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Does anyone know, If a buy an item from the UK do revenue use the purchase date when determining the exchange rate value in euro or the date it arrives in front of them in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭tphase

date of arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

Seen a good second hand laptop online but seller is UK and with BREXIT will not know about posting overseas. What do they put on customs ie Laptop, value but is it selling price plus delivery cost? And can they put secondhand??

What do I pay extra at my end?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Selling price, plus transport. Second hand or new, it makes no difference. You will pay at least 23% VAT, and the clearance charges - if it's A Post that is €3.50, couriers such as UPS are more expensive. See the 1st post in this thread for more information.

Be aware - there is a big thread on this forum about the amount of things being returned to sender by A Post due to incorrect paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

Yes that's why I asked. Thank you. I'll have a look on Royal Mail and see if I can find form.

thanks for quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@swoofer If it's through eBay, does it offer their global shipping service? (Seller forwards it to UK eBay depot and they handle customs etc. having charged you the applicable VAT at checkout, then forward it on to you)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Update on this

Fedex issued a credit for the full amount of the incorrect VAT & fee along with a revised invoice which now shows a total of €0.00 owed by me.

I am not sure if a revised invoice for the lower amount will follow at a later stage. Still, it's a positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I want to buy a secondhand book form a UK-based (private) bookseller - does anyone know if that will incur extra charges on delivery by An Post? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I love to hear back that you don't incur any charges but if it were me I'd expect to pay 23% VAT plus handling fee.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Provided the seller puts the correct codes on the customs declaration you shouldn't pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭geotrig

I am the same with a package with an post ,payed customs 10 days ago and still showing no movement ,normally releaseed within the day it might be just a case of high volumn of items hitting customs over the xmas just after that is slowing everything down ,unless there is an issue there is noting you can really do only sit and wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks.

I can't make hear nor tail of the An Post site information and the links to Revenue don't work....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn’t see an answer that relates. If I buy an item privately online from the US and what should I expect to pay in taxes and duty and how can I minimise it?

edit: I actually read the first post properly. Seems the VAT is based on the item value. And discussing setting a lower item value will not be discussed here.

Post edited by quarryman on

VAT is based on the value of the item plus shipping and insurance costs so the only way to legally reduce your VAT liability would be to have it shipped uninsured using the cheapest possible shipping method. Duty will be based on the value of the goods if they are valued at more than €150.

The only exemptions are if the item is a gift valued up to €45 or if you have a waiver from Revenue, neither of which apply in this case

Thanks. Why would I not insure it though? If the bulk of the cost is the 23% VAT then I should still insure the delivery right?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How can 23% VAT be the bulk of the cost?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

the cost of insuring it is included in the overall value. Up to you if you want to insure it or not

The bulk of the extra charges I mean. Insurance is far lower than the 23% tax so I’m wondering about the logic of not insuring it.

• Advertisement

you asked how to minimise your import charges. Logically that means not taking out insurance. I'm not commenting on the wisdom or otherwise of choosing to do this (or not).

Revenue has a searchable website full of useful information. Unfortunately it's not always easy to find the information you need so here's where I'd start https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/individuals/buying-online-personal/outside-eu.aspx (the same link as in the first post in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Forget about reducing costs by dropping insurance.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Am I correct in saying that computer parts purchased from a UK retailer (but not originating from the UK) still have a 0% customs rate i.e. only the 23% VAT rate and admin fees will apply?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nearly 3 months later I got a refund and then a follow up asking for me to send receipt so they can refund. Seems like it's a bit of a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Escapees

I'm looking at buying an item online via eBay from Israel (one of those countries that's kinda half in the EU). Can I assume that all will be kosher from a VAT and customs point of view? The item is relatively low value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What do mean kosher? It will be subjet to VAT, and as per the first post, you need to look up the taric to see if there is duty payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Israel are an associate member of the EU but you still pay vat as normal on imports from israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Escapees

Thanks. Asking a silly question maybe, but can I assume that the VAT is already included in the selling price or is it something I could get hit for by An Post? Things seem clearer on eBay when it comes to buying from non-EU countries like the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Entirely down to the seller. Some prepay it some don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Bought some jewelery recently from a .ie website, but it shipped from the UK.

Paid An Post VAT and Duty, but now want to return the item as it doesn't suit.

An Post say that the don't do VAT or Duty refunds, but surely there must be a way? The cost is in the hundreds of euro.

Advertisement